276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Guardian Quick Crosswords 1: A collection of more than 200 entertaining puzzles (Guardian Puzzle Books)

£3.995£7.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

It’s a quick-crossword version of Victor Meldrew’s attempt to solve a baffling cryptic, which we have looked at here. Seller has stated it will dispatch the item within 1 working day upon receipt of cleared payment - opens in a new window or tab . The Guardian is an award-winning British newspaper that consistently rates as the most-trusted newspaper in the country.

An unambiguously funny passage is Mr Stimpson’s attempt – “grimly determined not to surrender” – to solve a crossword (or, as he thinks of them, “one of the beastly things”). A crossword hidden by one of the characters unlocks the identity of the murderer responsible for a strikingly ruthless body count, including a chorister. Finance is provided by PayPal Credit (a trading name of PayPal UK Ltd, Whittaker House, Whittaker Avenue, Richmond-Upon-Thames, Surrey, United Kingdom, TW9 1EH). I have a lot of admiration for the more prolific setters like Paul and (in their day) Araucaria and Rufus. You seem to treat the various Guardian grids like physical spaces, like your metaphor of the Cluedo secret passageway.The cover may have some limited signs of wear but the pages are clean, intact and the spine remains undamaged. My delight in this attention to detail was shared by the pioneering crossword setter Afrit, who first wrote down the golden rule of cryptics: “I need not mean what I say, but I must say what I mean.

Forget riddles, conundrums or Sudoku, the crossword is the original and best word puzzle and it has truly stood the test of time. May have some underlining and highlighting of text and some writing in the margins, but there are no missing pages or anything else that would compromise the readability or legibility of the text. I’m reeling them off at random: peculiar, diplomacy, courtesan, furnished, viscount, squander, sunlight, chasuble, clergyman, luminary, thousand, poverty, cherubim, treason, cabriolet, rheumatics, apostle, costumier, viaduct. The 103 third parties who use cookies on this service do so for their purposes of displaying and measuring personalized ads, generating audience insights, and developing and improving products. And that makes them ideal for decoding that message, since it has been created using a Playfair code.I just want to avoid anything trivially easy, but not ridiculously hard either (and certainly not cryptic! Afrit’s puzzles for the Listener often received zero correct entries and a few years after Have His Carcase was published, he set Listener 397, which had a Playfair square in the middle of the grid and made reference to Lord Peter. The ecclesiastical setting might make today’s reader expect tweeness – but Gilbert, in his first novel, promptly shares a wryness and droll cynicism. When Have His Carcase was published, the crossword was a novelty; the Guardian had had a puzzle for just three years.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment