276°
Posted 20 hours ago

1x 150ml SKIN so SOFT ® AVON Dry Oil Body Spray ORIGINAL® +jojoba insect repellent

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Never worked for my other half in Scotland against the midges and never ever worked for for either of us with mossies, and I have to live with the dam things every day. Avon could have real money-makers on their hands if they opted to use DEET in their Bug Guard brand. However, some people claim that DEET is dangerous to the nervous system, though no study has found this to be true. 5 Sure, bad reactions can happen, but that’s with every product. As with everything, there are a few negatives to this product which include not being waterproof, and I’m rather suspicious of the claimed 8 hours of protection from one covering. Avon Skin So Soft is a beauty product that has been recommended as a midge repellent for years, which I always thought was an old wives tale until I tried it myself.

We prefer to use insect repellents which don’t contain DEET or DMP. Although DEET and DMP are more effective than non-DEET or natural midge repellents, they are capable of melting some plastics (such as credit cards, glasses and synthetic clothing) and that’s not really something we want to put our skin. As non-DEET insect repellents seem to work fine for midges, we don’t find DEET repellents necessary. Best midge net for ScotlandCan you recommend a sensitive mosquito repellent? Can you recommend a mosquito repellent that doesn’t include DEET? Does Avon Skin So Soft work as a mosquito repellent? These are just some of the questions I get asked on a regular basis. We use some extra extra strong Deet we bought in Greenland which usually works. I do take vitamin B tablets but to be honest, I don't think they make much difference. I'd be dubious about garlic but must admit I've not tried it. Whilst we cannot make the midges disappear, we hope this guide has given you some helpful advice on how to deal with the midges in Scotland. As for midges the last report said that there were more of the wee devils this year - and that tall men & large women are more likely to be bitten Don’t worry too much about the midges in Scotland and don’t let them put you off visiting this beautiful country. Midge bites don’t irritate me as much as mosquito or cleg (horse fly) bites and as midges don’t transmit disease to humans, I’m more relaxed about midges. We generally find it’s too windy for midgies most of the time anyway! When you go out and it isn’t that windy, carry a couple of different natural insect repellents and a midge hood and hopefully, you should be fine.

Midges are small biting insects found in the Scottish Highlands and the west coast that are part of the Ceratopogonidae family of midges. They are only 1-3 mm in size but they gather in large swarms near water and damp ground in the early morning and evening. The best defence is a strong offence, in this case, and we suggest you begin by keeping your windows closed, particularly at dawn and dusk. Although strong sunlight perturbs them, they find artificial lighting attractive. Leaving a living room light on with a window ajar is an open invitation to a midge, so keep everything closed tightly. If you’re planning on eating outside, smoke from the BBQ is a popular repellent to Scottish midges. Buy some citronella candles and coils to create a wider no-midge zone too. It’s actually only the females that bite as they need lots of protein to form their clutches of eggs, but while they mostly feed on cattle and wild animals they’re also quite happy to chow down on any passing human that comes within range whether young, old, male or female. Icaridin works similar to DEET, but its adoption is not as widespread. For example, Canada only allowed the use of icaridin in 2012, a long time after the United States and the United Kingdom did.Buzz Off Spray Although it says this repellent is for mosquitoes I have found it to be useful against Scottish midge. It has a very pungent repellent smell on your skin but it's good at midge protection. This is DEET based and you should be aware it can ruin some plastics, such as watchstraps, but it does see off a wide range of insects including midges. It works by deterring insects from landing on the skin. Buy from outdoor stores including Tiso.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment