276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Shh! We Have a Plan

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

This simple tale of adventure and innocence is a delight to the senses, stunningly crafted in his signature style. . . a sensational picture book for early readers and will leave adults coveting the captivating design' Look at the expressions of the characters in the illustrations. How are they feeling? What are they thinking at different points? A very funny picture book . . . most of the story is revealed in the simple, expressive pictures, making it perfect for new readers' Kids getting a notion in their head and proceeding with what they believe is a well-considered plan only to have it fail due, in part, to their own limited understanding of the real world. I KNEW we had to read this book as soon as I saw the wonderful ART! And I was NOT disappointed... it is a truly beautiful book from the illustrations to the message... This is the kind of picture book I would LOVE to create myself!

The three older characters being different to the youngest is firstly recognised on the front cover. The three older characters are all very close to each other, touching bodies. Their fingers against their mouth indicating the "shh". All three of them look straight ahead towards the reader. However, the youngest is a little further away and does not use his finger to "shh". This indicates that he is not in on the plan, he does not share the same views or values as the other three. Additionally, he is not looking straight ahead but watching the other three, this gives a feeling of him/her observing the other three. That the youngest is not in on the plan is very obvious throughout the book, as he does not have a catching net like the other three. Furthermore, he never participates in the act of trying to catch the bird but is a silent observer. Most of the illustrations use different shades of blue. Could you try to create your own pictures using different shades of the same colour? What happens next? Children can draw and write what they imagine happens next in the story of the hunters and the squirrel.The end of the picturebook starts out like the beginning, having a plan to catch another animal. This is interesting as it could symbolise the human nature of greed and wanting more, not seeing what destruction they are causing through their actions. Even though they saw the youngest succeed with his simple non-destructive plan they continue to use their plan that failed the first time. This is a very entertaining book about a group of four who are searching in the dark of night for something to catch. Three of the group are bigger and often tell the smallest (likely youngest) of the group repetitively to "Shh! We have a plan." The humor comes from the futility of the group's plan and the silly results combined with the juxtaposition of the youngest's successful methods.

Following the Rule of Threes the older trio creep stealthily upon the bird on the ground, in a tree, and out on a frozen pond, always failing to catch their prey. At last the Little One offers up some bread crumbs and they stalkers are suddenly surrounded by many birds. With the birds so close it seems as if catching them will easy until they realize they are outnumbers and outsized and off the run.

This is his best yet: simple, original, very blue and HILARIOUS...every single school in the country should have a copy' Shh! We Have a Plan by Chris Haughton is a children's picturebook about a group of four individuals who have a plan that goes wrong, which involves searching and catching a bird during the night. Haughton uses the juxtaposition of the three older characters against the youngest character. In my understanding the three older characters embody the greed and the destructive nature of human beings, however, in contrast, the youngest embodies being generous, patient and loving towards the environment and everyone who resides there. When children hear the story several times they’ll get to know it really well. This helps them to tell it in their own words, using the pictures as prompts. Listen for the ways they use words and phrases from the story. This familiarity will help them to read the story independently and with increasing accuracy. Watch a Trailer In fact, I had been dozing off the food and activities of our Thanksgiving day, when the girls woke me with numerous whispers of "Shh! We have a plan." We laughed over the silliness of the characters and marveled at the success of the little one.

Read the story aloud, talking together about the pictures as you do. Talking about the book makes space for children to ask questions, share their thoughts and deepens their understanding. What do they imagine the little one is thinking? Join in One of the most exciting new voices in children’s literature, comes a new picture book about a beautiful bird, an unquenchable desire and plans gone awry' One of the most exciting author/illustrators in children’s books today and this latest offering is a delight ... a lovely book for reading aloud full of expression and fun, with a final twist in the furry tail'Chris Haughton tells a big story in stunning illustrations in his near-wordless picture book… a wittily told story with a strong message about communication' The first thing I loved was the contrast of the dark blue figures in the dim blue world to the bright and vibrant birds! I think there is a hint here about nature and wildlife compared to the human world. I love that subtle environmental message... The truth of one of Bornholdt’s observations – “Reading a book of pictures is still reading” – will become immediately obvious to the “reader” of Chris Haughton’s picture book Play ‘What’s the Time Mr Wolf’ to experience, first-hand, suspense, chasing and being chased. Draw and write the next story

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment