276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Meze 99 Classics Walnut Silver Headphones (Silver & Black)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The pads on the cups are PU leather covering memory foam pads with a medium depth on the inside walls adjoining a small piece of soft padding covering the driver’s protective grill. It should be noted that I have absolutely no affiliation with Meze, I am not receiving any incentive for this review or to sweeten things out. This review is not sponsored nor has been paid for by Meze or anyone else. I’d like to thank Meze for providing the sample for this review. The sample was provided along with Meze’s request for an honest and unbiased review. This review will be as objective as it is humanly possible, and it reflects my personal experience with Meze Silver Plated and Balanced Cables. Every opinion expressed is mine and I stand by it, the purpose of this review is to help those interested in Meze Silver Plated and Balanced Cables find their next music companion. There are no left or right earcups, it is decided by the cable. The left cable has a lil ridge. so you dont have to read Rand L, you can pretty much understand it by just holding it. And I expected, after a few seconds of this lower frequency uplight, to hear a higher frequency downturn. That is, I expected the bass, so much of it was there, to swamp and leach all over the soundstage. It didn’t. Well, look psychologically it kinda did. That is, you can’t help but be mentally affected by the bass so you may think the mids are being bloomed by the bass but that’s not really the case. The mids are pretty tight and focused, yes, but not really swamped. There’s a slight warmth for the midrange but that seems to be endemic to the nature of the headphone sound. That is, there is an overall dark glow over the soundstage but there is enough air and space in the upper frequencies for the mids to hold their own and deliver the detail you need. Even treble-based cymbals are suitably tremulous. There is not a hint of crappy plastics on these cans as far as I can see and looking into their design information and this does seem to be confirmed.

It’s an interesting and lightweight system that contrasts intriguingly with the usual expanding, telescopic headphone system. It works well, though and is comfy to boot. SOUND QUALITY The seal is not bad for a closed headphone actually though the memory foam is slightly stiffer than some other varieties I have encountered before but it does form well enough around the ear so you won’t find too many gaps. When you look at everything dismantled in the picture below it is a surprisingly simple but effective build. The accessories are very well made; my only issue was using the cable. The bottom half is cord material, and the top half is rubberized. I must point out that any touch or movement in the area past the splitter transmits some microphonics into the earcup. I liked that they are dual entry cables (one each to the left and right earcups), as I feel this gives a better balance and overall aesthetic look. Styling Self-adjusting height adjustment mechanism (somewhat comparable to that of my AKG K701). Likes to pull my hair out, though (at least as badly as my Koss Porta Pro, probably even worse).

Cable & Accessories

The only problem I see for some people is that the ear pads are not the deepest, so if you have large ears it could result in some slight problems with fitting your entire ear inside, or you can end up touching the driver cover. Not happening to me, but I have rather small ears and I’ve heard that some users had this kind of problem. It wasn’t a deal breaker in any of this cases, but it’s surely worth mentioning. Really strong bass elevation with only moderate roll-off towards the sub-bass. Lots of impact and punch. With a sonic character that’s easy to love at first listen, the 99 Classics are pleasingly even-handed and bask in full-bodied lusciousness and clarity from top to bottom. There’s a natural warmth to the midrange that laps up Chris Stapleton's country crooning as we play Whiskey And You, with the Mezes keen to throw his vocal under the spotlight. If you are into headphones I bet you have heard at least something about the Meze 99 Classics headphones. It is one of the most heavily promoted headphones I have seen in a while.

Silver is an excellent material to make your cables from, it tends to have a specific sound, which is usually brighter and more detailed, and while I am not exactly an engineer able to speak books about it, there are articles that explain why the changes in the cable’s core components and structure will lead to changes in sound.

What should you get instead of the Meze 99 Classics?

Meze is relatively new Romanian company and 99 Classics is their much talked about model in several forums. They are carefully designed with choice of premium materials like wood and metal. Having spent about a week with them here is my opinion about them: Pairing Notes - The Meze 99 Classics paired perfectly with any source I threw at them. They are incredibly efficient and easy to drive.Yes, they sound better out of a higher-end DAP, but even from my Google Pixel 2 or LG V30, these headphones sounded seriously good.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment