276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Psychology Book

£9.995£19.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

defective nurture.” Intelligence, he says, is inherited, but must be fostered through education. In 1875, Galton undertook a study of 159 pairs of twins. He found that they did not follow the “normal” distribution of similarity between siblings, in which they are moderately alike, but were always extremely similar or extremely dissimilar. What really surprised him was that the degree of similarity never changed over time. He had anticipated that a shared upbringing would lessen dissimilarity between twins as they grew up, but found that this was not the case. Nurture seemed to play no role at all. The “nature–nurture debate” continues to this day. Some people have favored Galton’s theories, including his notion—now known as eugenics—that people could be “bred” like horses to promote certain characteristics. Others have preferred to believe that every baby is a tabula rasa, or “blank slate,” and we are all born equal. Most psychologists today recognize that nature and nurture are both crucially important in human development, and interact in complex ways. ■

DK’s extensive children’s list showcases a fantastic store of information for children, toddlers and babies. DK covers everything from animals and the human body, to homework help and craft activities, together with an impressive list of licensing titles, including the best-selling LEGO® books. ohann Herbart was a German philosopher who wanted to investigate how the mind works—in particular, how it manages ideas or concepts. Given that we each have a huge number of ideas over the course of our lifetime, how do we not become increasingly confused? It seemed to Herbart that PDF / EPUB File Name: The_Psychology_Book_Big_Ideas_Simply_Expl_-_Nigel_Benson.pdf, The_Psychology_Book_Big_Ideas_Simply_Expl_-_Nigel_Benson.epub the mind must use some kind of system for differentiating and storing ideas. He also wanted to account for the fact that although ideas exist forever (Herbart thought them incapable of being destroyed), some seem to exist beyond our conscious awareness. The 18thcentury German philosopher Napoleon’s overreaching ambition for power, as depicted in this painting of him as a student, led him to lose sight of his true self and all-too-human limitations, and ultimately to despair.

How to Vote

This “most difficult of philosophic tasks” has a long history. The ancient Greeks discussed the mind, but did not use the term “consciousness” or any equivalent. However, there was debate as to whether something separate from the body exists at all. In the fourth century BCE, Plato made a distinction between the soul and body, but Aristotle argued that even if there is a distinction, the two cannot be separated. This is because thoughts that enter our awareness at the same time form a “pulse” with PHILOSOPHICAL ROOTS 37 participants, or through measuring levels of behavior such as tension and relaxation or excitement.

The behaviorists’ studies concentrated almost exclusively on how behavior is shaped by interaction with the environment; this “stimulus–response” theory became well known through the work of John Watson. New learning theories began to spring up in Europe and the US, and attracted the interest of the general public. IN CONTEXT APPROACH Hypnosis BEFORE 1027 Persian philosopher and physician Avicenna (Ibn Sina) writes about trances in The Book of Healing. 1779 German physician Franz Mesmer publishes A Memoir on the Discovery of Animal Magnetism. AFTER 1843 Scottish surgeon James Braid coins the term “neurohypnotism” in Neurypnology.The Psychology Book is your visual guide to the complex and fascinating world of human behaviour. Discover how we learn, become emotionally bonded with others, and develop coping mechanisms to deal with adversity, or conform in a group. Get to know key thinkers, from Freud and Jung to Elizabeth Loftus and Melanie Klein, and follow charts and timelines to make sense of it all and see how one theory influenced another. erman physician Emil Kraepelin believed that the origins of most mental illnesses are biological, and he is often regarded as the founder of modern medical psychiatry. In his Textbook of Psychiatry, published in 1883, Kraepelin offered a detailed classification of mental illnesses, including “dementia praecox,” meaning “early dementia,” to distinguish it from late-onset dementia, such as Alzheimer’s.

Johann Friedrich Herbart describes a dynamic mind with a conscious and an unconscious in A Text-book in Psychology.Our adult range spans travel, including the award-winning DK Eyewitness Travel Guides, history, science, nature, sport, gardening, cookery and parenting. I’m currently in my second year of a Masters program for clinical psychology, so I’m studying to become a therapist. Throughout the program, I’ve learned about so many interesting concepts, therapeutic techniques, and of course, psychologists. I’ve added all my professor’s book recommendations and kept a mental note of all the theories and psychologists that interests me. R.D. Laing’s The Divided Self redefines “madness,” offering existential analysis of inner conflict as therapy. Fascinated by psychology I have been reading this non-fiction for a few months. I have always had a love for psychology and would like to one day become a psychologist. I realised a few months ago, however, that I did not actually know much about the subject I fascinated. I signed up for AP Psychology next year, so I decided to read this book for two reasons 1. to broaden my horizon in about an area I have always been interested in and 2. to prepare myself for my next year's AP course. I enjoyed this book so much because it covered so many aspects of psychology. Whether it be autism, how we learn a language or just fatherhood, the details about that matter are included in this book. The Psychology Book is the perfect introduction to the science, aimed at adults with an interest in the subject and students wanting to gain more of an overview. Here you'll discover key concepts by psychologists who have significantly enhanced our understanding of the human mind and behaviour. Learn about everyone who's contributed to the big ideas in psychology, incorporating the ideas of today's scientists as well those of the ancient philosophers and pioneers.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment