276°
Posted 20 hours ago

EL DORADO Special Reserve 21 year Old Guyanan Rum, 70 cl Bottle (Packaging may vary)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The Demerara County of Guyana has been steeped in the history of sugar and rum production since the 17th century. By the 18th century, there were over 300 estates growing sugar cane, each with their own distillery, each producing their own unique rums. Through the centuries, these estates and distilleries have been amalgamated, fortunately, many of their marques and original stills were preserved. Distilling was introduced in the 1850’s by the British and not long after there were more than 300 sugar estates producing their own rums, though by the end of the century that number began to drop along with the number of sugar plantations. By the 1930s there were 230 operating sugar plantations and in 1958, only 18. Each estate produced its own distinctive rum and they were given their own marks to identify the origin, for example, PM is Port Morant. These rums were shipped to England and the trading name Demerara Rum was established. Flavor Characteristics and the Coffey Still I’m a huge fan of Demerara rums and El Dorado rum in particular. This bottle was a very welcome Christmas treat. It has long been a rum I simply must try. The rum is made up of a blend of rums from Demerara Distillers world-famous stills, the Enmore (wooden Coffey still), the Versailles (single wooden pot still), and the Albion (Savalle still). It is worth noting that all the rums in the El Dorado range boast differing components in their blend. It is not a case of the same rum(s) being aged longer. The presentation for the 12 year, the 15 year and the 21-year-old El Dorado Rums includes a squat smokey opaque brown bottle which has a funky old world charm and which looks great on my rum shelf. I like the fact that each rum in the series arrives in a smartly coloured display box which helps to protect the spirit from the deleterious effects of light. Finally each is closed with a quality cork topper which for me is the final requirement for a quality presentation. In the Glass 9.5/10

El Dorado rums are blended selections of different ‘vintages’ or batches of rums from different stills – aged in oak barrels. Importantly, the age statement specifically indicates the youngest rum in the blend, even though the oldest may be many years older. This rule is the same as the one for Scotch Whisky and is used for rums produced in English-speaking countries…” Demerara is also a name tied to sugar, an extension of which is rum. Specifically, Demerera signifies the rum of Guyana, of which many call as the world’s best. Demerara rum, as you might expect, is produced on the banks of the Demerara River, just outside of Guyana’s capital of Georgetown. All Demerara rum is distilled in Guyana, regardless of where it may be aged and bottled. The rum is derived from sugarcane grown along the banks and is distilled by the last remaining Guyanese distiller, Demerara Distillers Limited, or the DDL. The DDL Master Blender is credited with the creation of El Dorado 21-Year-Old Rum which uses a blend of rums selected from their world-famous stills, the Enmore (wooden Coffey still), the Versailles (single wooden pot still), and the Albion (Savalle still). All of the rums in the blend have been aged in oak for a minimum of 21 years, making this one of the oldest production rums in the world. Velierset the benchmark by which all aged Demerara has perhaps been judged, particularly over the past 5 years at least. Prior to that (and prior to greater knowledge regarding additives) El Dorado were seen as kings. For whatever reason a decision has been made that Velier will no longer bottle El Dorado’s aged Demerara and it appears they will be doing it themselves. circa un mese fa mi sono fatto spedire due bottiglie giusto per iniziare a degustare i rum e capirne qualcosa. e vedendo che sono molto apprezzati presi un diplomatico exclusiva e un el dorado 12.

Awards for El Dorado 21

This cookie is set by Rubicon Project to control synchronization of user identification and exchange of user data between various ad services. The jewel in the crown of Demerara Distillers Limited, certainly for those of modest means is the El Dorado 21 Year Old Finest Demerara rum. This age statement is quite different from those rums which feature a solera style age statement which highlights the oldest rum in the blend and usually includes a high percentage of rum which is much younger in the blend. In my opinion, this sets the El Dorado 21 Year Old Rum apart from its peers and it is very hard to find many comparably aged rums in my marketplace. There are around 3000 bottles of each of the Rare Collection available. Which means they are definitelynot a Single Cask rum or likely asingle distillation. This rum islikely ablend from the Enmore Coffey Still married together to produce one larger “batch” of rum. To have yielded 3000 bottles we are talking about a lot of barrels when one considers the Angel’s Share which could have run at over 75% total yield! This of course is just my own musings and suggestions. If anyone has more solid information or a difference of opinion please let me know. I’m offering this insight in the absence of the “correct” information. My suggestion is to sip this rum neat at room temperature to enjoy all the nuances. The addition of a little ice causes the rum to become somewhat drier and less sweet, which may be preferred by some.

There is much more but my ability to discern the different sensations is well behind this rum’s ability to provide them. I can only attest to vague impressions of tea leaves, cocoa and even a hint of coffee in the swirls of flavours in my mouth. This is rich and elegant! In the Throat 13.5/15 It’s a little disappointing that almost a year since they announced this release DDL have not released anything else new. I do hope they have plenty moreup their sleeve! Guyana was a pristine land inhabited by Arawaks and Caribs when Christopher Columbus came ashore in 1498, though it was not produced on a large scale until the late 1700s, roughly a century later than in the rest of the Caribbean. As Guyana’s plantation owners entered the sugar industry late, they were able to import advanced equipment for milling sugarcane and the industry exploded. Even with an ABVof 56.5% I don’t find the Enmoreto be particularly aggressive on the nose. It doesn’t have the more aggressive notes I found withthe 2002 Silver Seal Enmore. Sipped I’m again reminded of the El Dorado 12 – it offers a very rich and fruity mouthful. Fortunately rather thanheading in a sweeter direction after the initial sip the Enmore1993brings some more tannic red wine like notes, a nice spiciness mixes with some good well balancedoaked notes. There is also a hit of slightly bitter/sweet coffee beans.

Recently viewed

The entry into the mouth is somewhat drier than the nose implied. The mouth is heated up with oak spice, and my first impression is that I am sampling a yummy oak and toffee extract filled with rich brown sugar. The oak is at the center of the flavour, yet the tannins do not inhibit the other flavours in the rum from forming and delighting me. Raisins, prunes, and dates give the rum an almost smoky quality while the impressions of nutty elements adds softness to the mouth-feel. Cinnamon, vanilla, and brown sugar create a wonderful baking spice flavour which weaves throughout, and the rum is an absolute marvel of complexity and balance. Records the default button state of the corresponding category & the status of CCPA. It works only in coordination with the primary cookie. I didn't think I'd come across a bottle of this considering how limited the selections in the regional liquor stores are. However one store had this behind the counter on the top shelf and I had enough cash on hand to get a bottle. Olfatto: Colpisce fin da subito per un adorabile sentore di miele di castagno e una presenza di zucchero di canna notevole. Si evolve con frutta tropicale e moltissime spezie. Adorabilmente piacevole! Il legno si fonde con un substrato di caramello man mano che si procede ad annusarlo! Flavour wise this matches the Velierreleases (their isno reason why it shouldn’t) its rich, intense and very full flavoured.

After sitting unopened for a couple of months I decided to uncork it and have a sample. The aroma of this rum can be best described by the word "decadent". Definitely a vanilla aroma. The flavor is sweet with molasses, vanilla, caramel, and oak tones to it. Kind of spicy, too. A bit of a tongue-tingler as a result. It has a bit of a burn to it which fades rather rapidly. Definitely a sipping rum and one I recommend for special occasions. Like Saturday.When the 21 year old was first created it was reviewed at the Beverage Tasting Institute of Chicago and they summed it up with this statement. “A monumental aged rum that is one of the world’s greatest rum drinking experiences” Demerara. The word alone is infectious. It’s derived from the Arawak language, meaning “river of the letter wood.” It sounds exotic. It is exotic. Demerara is a place, as well as the name of things related to that place. It’s a region near the wild coast of the tiny South American nation of Guyana, founded by the Dutch. It’s also a river and along it are fields of sugarcane lined with canals where herons and egrets wade. The air is sweet smelling. It smells of tropical forests, as well as the sea. Il Beverage Tasting Institute di Chicago ha insignito l’El Dorado 21 anni della prestigiosa Platinum Medal con un rating di 98 punti su 100 e l’International Wine & Spirits Competitions di Londra ben 4 medaglie d’oro e una d’argento. Gusto: Ricco e denso, molto corposo. Di grande struttura! Avvolgente e caldo! Inizia con un sentore legnoso, tipico per un rum invecchiato così a lungo. Ritorna il caramello, ma sullo sfondo di una ricca presenza di spezie, tra cui riesco a distinguere distintamente cannella e noce moscata! Si scorge una massiccia presenza di frutta matura accompagnata da frutta tostata, noci principalmente. Non manca una nota di caffè e cioccolata davvero deliziosa! Estremamente complesso e suadente. Esistono anche Rum prodotti esclusivamente con il distillato ottenuto da un singolo distillatore: in tal caso, troverete una nota in etichetta a segnalarvene l’origine.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment