276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Scapegoat (Virago Modern Classics)

£4.995£9.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

She has great command of the psychological thriller and weaves her tales to that you are never far from the edge of your seat.

On waking, he discovers that the man has disappeared, taking all John's own clothes and belongings, and leaving him to play the role of the "Comte Jean de Gué". It is not until he awakes the next day that John, the Englishman, realizes that he may have spoken too much. While John is a lonely man with a feeling of emptiness inside, Comte Jean de Gué claims to have only the problem of having too many ‘human’ possessions. There was ample material for du Maurier to develop the plot, put in some twists and turns, and make the story more engaging and interesting. There is less of atmosphere, though bit by bit you soak up the feel of the provincial French countryside, the rundown Chateau, not far from Le Mans, the village whose people work at the de Gue glass works.However, unlike Giant , The Scapegoat succeeds more with balanced transgressions between dialogue and description.

For instance, the "increasing rigidificaiton of gender roles in the aftermath of World War Two" (Horner 157) is examined in the characterizations. du Maurier's writing entertains the reader executing techniques like implementing her family history to tell the book's story, questioning of identity, and her writing style. filled with an intense desire to get away from that dingy, shabby hotel and never set eyes on it again, and as my anger rose and self-disgust took possession of me. I'm actually still a bit unnerved by this macabre tale and I will be thinking about this thriller for many days, probably weeks.A escrita é muito boa, a autora é mestra em criar tensão e a leitura tornou-se compulsiva, na ânsia de saber o que passaria a seguir e como iria John It is evident that he is travelling through France, where he meets a man who eerily is his double in looks; a confident French count, Jean de Gué. Otherwise I think I would have rated it as ‘5’ rather than ‘4’…but in my rating system a ‘4’ is “a memorable read and if there is anything else the author has written I would be quite interested in it”, thank you very much. The beginning's tone is full of homelessness that provides individuality to the depiction of true French rural life intrigue the reader.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment