276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Cross Down: The Sunday Times bestselling thriller

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Cross Down by James Patterson is a captivating thriller that keeps readers on the edge of their seats from beginning to end. With its fast-paced plot, well-developed characters, and expertly crafted writing style, this novel is sure to satisfy fans of suspense fiction. Now for this book. Why are we calling it an Alex Cross book? It’s absolutely NOT. So we don’t have Patterson and we don’t have Cross. Yet I’m supposed to be excited about this?? This book is slightly different to the previous books I’ve read following the Alex Cross series. This book veers away from the suspense thriller of serial acts and it’s more focused on the military/ army aspect, following on John Sampsons history. Now, the 31st book in the series – “Cross Down” – has been read, and it requires a serious warning for readers. One that needs your full attention. Another interesting thing that I noted is that the authors kept the same storytelling point-of-view that I thought worked well. In the previous Alex Cross novels, the story was told from Alex’s point-of-view and this one was told from John’s point-of-view, which kept the same rhythm and flow without disrupting the storytelling style. The consistency helped and John’s voice felt authentic and real as the story unfolded.

While things heat up, Sampson finds himself working with the most unlikely partner and travels to the far sides of the world. There may be a clue to discover the plot to unleash a nuclear blast within the United States, devastating the country as a whole. The US President is not yet ready to concede, but Sampson knows that colouring within the lines is not the only way to get answers, pushing him to write the rules and enforce them, as Alex Cross continues to mend. Will there be enough time to ensure everyone is saved? Patterson and DuBois work well together in this collaborative effort that moves the spotlight off Cross himself. The concept of trust also plays a significant role in this novel. As Alex delves deeper into solving complex cases, he must navigate through a web of deception and betrayal. The author masterfully portrays how trust can be both fragile and essential when it comes to unraveling mysteries. One aspect of Patterson’s writing that stands out is his ability to create vivid and memorable characters. Whether it’s the detective with a troubled past or the cunning serial killer, each character is fully fleshed out and leaves a lasting impression. If those two taglines aren’t enough, the inside flap synopsis should clear all doubt that this will be different with its first sentence – “For the first time, John Sampson is on his own.”Alex Cross, a seasoned detective with a sharp intuition, is at the center of this gripping tale. With his unwavering dedication to justice and relentless pursuit of truth, he becomes an engaging protagonist that readers can root for. His complex personality is further explored as we delve into his personal life and witness his struggles with balancing work and family. This is not your typical Alex Cross novel. The first clue is that it is co-authored with Brendan DuBois, which is only the second time out of 31 books that Patterson has allowed that to happen. The second clue is that the book cover promotes this book as an “Alex Cross and John Sampson thriller”. James Patterson skillfully crafts well-rounded characters who feel authentic through their dialogue, actions, thoughts, fears, and desires. James Patterson’s writing style is addictive and captivating. His ability to craft compelling characters, create complex plots, paint detailed settings, and keep readers hooked with his impeccable pacing makes him one of today’s most successful thriller writers Themes in Cross Down

Another theme that emerges from Cross Down is the power of family bonds. Despite being caught up in dangerous situations and facing threats from all sides, Alex Cross’s love for his family remains unshakeable. His determination to protect them at all costs adds an emotional depth to the narrative and highlights the importance of familial support. Another strength of Patterson’s writing is his attention to detail. From crime scenes to forensic evidence, he paints a vivid picture that allows readers to fully immerse themselves in the story. You can almost smell the gunpowder at a crime scene or feel the tension in an interrogation room.

James Patterson

First, Patterson has been the Walmart version of an author for a while. I think we all know that when he brings in an additional writer, he’s not writing. At best he is contributing to an outline, and I’m not sure he is even reading the final product. This is his publishing company trying to stretch out their gravy train. So whatever with that. What really pisses me off is that Patterson doesn’t give a shit that his once good name as an author is going down the toilet. The Alex Cross series was at least his. So now he doesn’t even have that. I’d have more respect if he just retired the character and quit ‘writing’ all together. The themes explored in Cross Down are thought-provoking and timely. From corruption within law enforcement agencies to the impact of personal vendettas on professional relationships, Patterson delves into issues that resonate with readers on a deeper level. This adds an additional layer of complexity to an already gripping narrative. I was along for the ride, but if you think about it too much it really doesn’t make sense. A lot of suspending reality here. Too many things to point out honestly. This was a solid thriller recipe, that built on the premise of what would happen if Alex Cross was incapacitated and his partner and best friend, John Sampson had to work on his own without him. But what worked even more was how well the plot was laid out. The tempo was fast moving with lots of drama and action, pulling on the emotional strings of the Cross family and supporting characters that have made the Cross universe a bestselling series that has stood the test of time. In addition, the mystery elements were full of suspense and intrigue. Patterson also knows how to keep readers guessing. He expertly weaves together multiple storylines, creating intricate plots that are filled with suspense and mystery. Just when you think you have everything figured out, he throws in another twist that will leave your jaw dropping.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment