276°
Posted 20 hours ago

No Ordinary Day (The Extraordinary Days Book 1)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

What an amazing man, former police officer himself suffer unknowingly for years from PTSD but making these highly dangerous trips to gather evidence in what was considered a war zone. Espionage, betrayal, terrorism, corruption and murder. All the ingredients of a Le Carré novel, only it's real' Matthew Hall Espionage, betrayal, terrorism, and corruption aren't half of it. The truth behind the murder of WPC Yvonne Fletcher may open some wounds, but at least it names and shames some individuals. Despite this, John refused to give up, and after almost four decades he has finally fulfilled that promise. This book is an extremely moving and eye-opening account of his long, and often dangerous, quest to not only discover the truth behind his friend’s death and bring her killers to justice, but also in the process expose the despicable behaviour and decisions of a self-serving government, who cared – and continue to care – more about their own agenda than the wellbeing of those who serve them. When I first outlined the story to Broo Doherty, my literary agent, I saw her jaw visibly drop as I outlined the secrets I had discovered and the reality of what had been going on behind the scenes in the UK of the 1980s and 90s, and how the aftermath of the Libyan Embassy siege had, effectively changed our Secret Services and shaped the future of UK policing for the next four decades. We realised this was a significant story that would need to be handled by a publisher with the skill to do so. Tentative enquiries with publishers soon produced a result, but it was not the one expected. An executive producer from TV production company was interested. He asked for a copy of the manuscript, it was sent, and within a short time the TV/Film rights were sold, even before the book rights. Not long after that, I was introduced to Duncan Proudfoot from Ad Lib publishers and we knew then we had found the right home for the book.

Whilst No Ordinary Day remains a heartbreaking true story with the twisting and turning plot of an international political thriller. it opens your eyes to the fact that, if those 'interfering suits' were doing all that then, they are surely still doing it today.

Matt Johnson has written about a deeply sad subject that became so complicated and he has kept the pace and the detail involved succinct and flowing at the same time.

John Murray, cradling Yvonne in his arms, refusing to leave her alone whilst in an active shooter zone just shows from the outset his true courage and bravery. John made Yvonne a promise that today 39 years later he still works on tirelessly, that he would find and bring to justice those responsible. No Ordinary Day tells the tragic yet fascinating story of the death of PC Yvonne Fletcher at the hands of a lone Libyan terrorist gunman on 17 April 1984 and dissects the myriad people involved in bringing about the incident who for a long time were both faceless and nameless. It shows just how nefarious politicians, the elite and those that hold some sort of power can be and how self-interest and agendas are more important to many than the lives of others. The first chapter introduces "Fletch", as she was affectionately known by her colleagues, her route into the police force, what type of person she was and what those who worked with her thought about her.way of knowing they were about to become part of one of the greatest tragedies in British policing history. At 10.17 am automatic gunfire Very well written and deeply researched . . . an account of a relentless search for justice. It has pride of place in my library' John Grieve CBE QPM former DAC MPS and former National Coordinator for Counter-Terrorist Investigations Bob Mortimer wins 2023 Bollinger Everyman Wodehouse Prize for Comic Fiction with The Satsuma Complex But John Murray refused to give up and his dogged determination into bringing Yvonne Fletchers killers to justice would take its toll on him but John is determined to leave no stone unturned as he fights the government, Mi5 Mi6 secret service and Trips to Libia risking his own life all to get to the truth and reveal what really happened that day and bring the murderers finally to justice.

On April 17th, 1984, during an anti-Gaddafi demonstration outside the Libyan embassy in London, a burst of automatic gunfire suddenly rained down upon the crowd. Among the eleven wounded protesters was a female police officer, WPC Yvonne Fletcher, who later died in hospital. Peter James, the international best-selling novelist said of Matt’s first book "Terse, tense and vivid writing. Matt Johnson is a brilliant new name in the world of thrillers." No Ordinary Day" is about a 10 year old girl named Valli who discovers she has no family, and that the family she has been living with was paid to take her in after her mother died. The family is very poor and treats her badly. The people in her village work in the coal mines - adults and children alike - and she spends her days walking barefoot through the village collecting coal. She believes she has magic feet because she feels no pain in them, when in reality she has leprosy. Valli fleas her village and ends up in Kolkata, living on the streets. Valli uses her guile and courage to survive each day. She meets an old man and his goat one day and is given wisdom which she follows each day: find someone who needs what you have more than you, and give them what you have. This simple kindness is a lesson for the reader and Valli throughout the book. One day, Valli meets a doctor who offers to heal her feet if she will stay in the hospital with her, and after a time, Valli accepts the offer and is healed.

As his friend lay dying, PC John Murray made her a promise that he would not rest until those responsible had been brought to justice. Thirty-seven years would pass before he was able to fulfil that undertaking.

On 17 April 1984, as demonstrators gathered outside the Libyan embassy in London, two gunmen lay in wait inside. At 10 . 18 am automatic gunfire rained down on the protestors and WPC Yvonne Fletcher fell, mortally wounded. As Yvonne Fletcher lay dying, her colleague and close friend PC John Murray cradled her in his arms. Before she lost consciousness, he promised her he would not rest until those responsible for her murder had been brought to justice. Dystopian Fiction Books Everyone Should Read: Explore The Darker Side of Possible Worlds and Alternative Futures Espionage, betrayal, terrorism, corruption and murder. All the ingredients of a Le Carre novel, only it's real' This is an important book, a book I would urge you to read. It takes us behind the headlines to the truth of the political decisions that have shaped the past thirty nine years of John Murray’s quest for justice. With the narrative taking us between the UK and Libya, and with a frank and detailed exploration of this case, Matt Johnson has captured the heart of this case, a quest for justice which is not yet over. This is a book which is steeped in fact and conveys the many questionable decisions made without judgment, as such, but that will create strong feeling nonetheless. Be warned – it is likely to make you even angrier at the many political figures who still plague our lives to this day (if that is even possible), as well as act as a reminder that, in spite of the negative headlines that dominate about the Met Police these days, there are many dedicated, and passionate Officers, such as John Murray and Yvonne Fletcher, who should be celebrated and remembered above all else.

Matt Johnson Press Reviews

I watched the TV coverage as Yvonne died that day. I watched John desperately try to help her. I later looked every one of Yvonne’s murderers in the eye as they filed past me out of the Bureau & onto luxury coaches to be taken to an airport where they boarded a plane & took off to return to Libya. I then watched the TV coverage as they arrived in Tripoli to rapturous and no doubt orchestrated applause from tens of thousands of Libyans, then into a huge cavalcade & driven to a heroes welcome from Gaddafi et al.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment