276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Continental Grand Prix 5000 Performance Road Bike Tire

£21.04£42.08Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The interesting thing with the Grand Prix 5000 is something we can't see from the outside. When looking at our results of both the 28-622 on the front, and the 32-622 on the rear, it's obvious that you're wearing these tires out in a different way. Continental also claims that the new tyres are easier to fit. As someone who's fitted hundreds of tyres over the years, I'd like to think I'm a dab hand, but the outgoing TLs caused me plenty of headaches – and broken tyre levers too on certain wheels. These new ones slipped easily onto a set of tubeless Scribe Race-Ds (19mm internal width), but when it came to a late-season race I thought I'd switch them to a pair of Hunt 50 Carbon Wides (also 19mm internal width). Without help from a mate, I don't think I'd have got the tyres on, so there are still clearly a few issues with certain combos. center of the tread. The rubber still looks to be in good shape and the casings of both tires also still look good with no visual damage. Grand Prix 5000 AS TR is a new all-season GP5000, adding some extra protection, grip and longevity to the fast GP5000 road tyre lineup. Even though this is the heavier of the two new GP5000 tyres, it is perhaps more exciting for those who enjoy a little speed boost in everyday conditions and not while racing.

I personally think that, given the testing has already been carried out, it’s a real shame that Continental is choosing not to share this data; transparency is in vogue and it would undoubtedly be beneficial to consumers. Will the pros be riding tubeless tyres?Continental also gives maximum inflation pressures for hooked rims, as well as a maximum internal rim width measurement for each size in the range. NOTE: As of 2021, we've improved the puncture resistance tests and now provide 'Total Puncture Score' as the main puncture resistance indicator.

The tubeless GP 5000 is available in 25, 28 and 32mm widths, plus a 28mm wide 650B version. Our samples of the 25mm versions weighed an average of 302g each; we've seen reliable reports of 295g samples too. That's heavier than some comparable tubeless-ready tyres (a 25mm Schwalbe Pro One weighs about 255g) because Continental has gone for a fully tubeless construction with an airtight rubber layer on the inside. rolling resistance had gone up slightly. We didn't think much of it at the time as it was within the margin of error of the machine and possibly the inner tubes. With the previous model already significantly improved in comparison to the old GP4000 S II model (17% in rolling resistance, 25% in puncture resistance), the GP5000S TR raises the bar in the allround road tyre market to previously unseen levels! Mounting the the GP5000 S TR on rims and setting it up tubeless was a relatively pain-free affair. Simon von Bromley / Immediate Media didn't help. The long time between the tests isn't optimal but I'll keep on going until at least 3100 miles / 5000 km with these tires.We've already done a test with a pair of worn Grand Prix 4000S II that was sent in by a reader who used them for 5000 miles / 8000 km. Because we received a lot of comments about Let's hope we've now reached the point where the tires stabilize and we see rolling resistance go down again as the tread wears down. Durability is hard to assess objectively, especially in the short-term – after all, it’s hard to account for occurrences such as small bits of glass strewn across the road – but, like the GP5000 TL, the GP5000 S TR retains a dedicated puncture protection belt beneath the tread.

Size. Surprise: the 25-622 version of the GP 5000 measures 26 mm wide and 24 mm high at an air pressure of 100 psi / 6.9 bars on a 17C rim. This is a surprise because all previous 25-622 Continental Grand Prix tires with the 3/330 casing measured 27 mm wide on my rim. We don't have the means to test aerodynamics and rolling resistance at the Cycling Weekly office. But, we do have friends who do.

Improving on the GP4000S II, a tyre considered by many to be the best all-round road tyre ever made, might have seemed like an impossible task. However, true to their renowned reputation of continuous innovation, Continental has delivered an even lighter, faster tyre which offers more grip and puncture protection than any other to date. Even though the rear GP 5000 has slightly more wear, rolling resistance of the rear 32-622 GP 5000 has also gone up by 5 - 9 %. It looks like the rubber compound has already lost some While the GP TL was better than many previous tubeless tyres for ease of fitting, there were still rims it didn't quite fit easily. We've found the GP S TR is better still, but you might still run into not-quite-compatible combinations. In this updated version of our guide to Continental tyres we've added the new Continental Grand Prix 5000 S TR. Wear rate of the GP 5000 looks to be very low and puncture resistance also looks to be good as we had 0 flats in the first 620 miles / 1000 km.

It took me quite a lot of time to reach the 620 miles / 1000 km this time around. A long time knee injury that seems to get worse in colder weather played a big part in this. Then came COVID-19 which

Goodyear Eagle Tubeless Ready tyre

The rear 32-622 Grand Prix 5000 shows more wear but at the current rate, it still looks like it's going to last somewhere around 5000 miles / 8000 km if the rest of the tire holds up. Last time out, we hoped rolling resistance would have reached a point of stabilization. Unfortunately, what we see is one of the biggest increases in rolling resistance since the start of this test. We've now reached the point where rolling resistance has increased by ~20% and our once low rolling resistance tire now is only a mediocre tire. Although the rear Grand Prix 5000 shows more wear, we see the same pattern in the rolling resistance tests. Rolling resistance has gone up again but at a slower rate than after the first 1000 km / 620 miles.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment