276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Crisco Shortning 453g

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

In recent years, the health benefits and effects of heating grape seed oil have come into question.

If using a combination of coconut oil and shortening, you need to melt the coconut oil for savory recipes or beat it with sugar for baked goods. Author: I think you’re missing the point, chemically speaking. the ‘smoke point’ is only an issue when you are cooking. When you ‘season’, you are taking this thin coat of oil and PURPOSEFULLY taking it past its smoke point… at THIS POINT – no matter the type of oil, it becomes a polymer. The question is, AFTER you reach polymerization, at what temperature does it degrade. Has NOTHING to do with ‘smoke point’ at that point because its chemically a different substance… it is no longer oil.

What Makes a Great Cast Iron Seasoning Oil?

Unlike butter, lard is great for deep frying. The low water content in the lard will result in little splattering and smoking when you are cooking. This is because apples are naturally slightly sweet, and many brands of applesauce have sugar added to them. Some people even use mashed bananas if they don’t have applesauce. Every household probably has butter, and you can even buy it in some gas stations. But just because it’s readily available and cheap, doesn’t mean that you want to season your cast iron with it. Coconut oil can be used for stir-frying foods. Be careful when deep frying, since coconut oil has a low smoke point. Let’s dive into some of the best replacements for Crisco, so you can choose the one that will give you the best result in your baking or cooking. Butter

When choosing an oil to season cast iron, there are a few factors that you need to consider: High Smoke Point CakeCentral.com is the world's largest cake community for cake decorating professionals and enthusiasts. Take temperature up to just past the smoke point for that specific oil that you are using, and let it smoke until it smokes no more. I agree about not using soap as being a myth and non harmful to the pan however I do find that it leaves a smell that I dont find pleasant, might just be the liquid dish detergent I’m using. Olive oil is another popular choice for seasoning cast iron because most people probably already have it in their pantry. However, extra virgin olive oil has a relatively low smoke point, so heating it to higher temperatures will cause it to break down and turn rancid. If you are going to use olive oil, look for a light or refined version, but there are still better options.

I need to remove some spots of rust on a flat rectangular cast iron griddle. It is new and I did not know that I should season it . The area of rust is about the size of a quarter.

Flaxseed oil may be recommended by some cast iron “gurus” because it is considered a “drying oil”, meaning that it “dries hard” to cast iron, but I would not recommend it for seasoning.However, I’m not saying flax is better. I’ve used several oils over the years and they’ve all worked pretty much. Crisco is nearly tasteless, which can be viewed as an advantage or a disadvantage. It can be added to both sweet and savory recipes without affecting their taste. On the other hand, Crisco’s neutral flavor does not lend the richness to baked goods that another option like butter does. Best Substitutes for Crisco

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment