276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Essex Dogs: The epic Richard & Judy Summer Book Club Pick 2023 from a Sunday Times bestselling historian (Essex Dogs Series 1)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The locations were vividly word-painted, managing to weave many historical details into the fabric of the story without it ever getting in the way. The Essex Dogs are a motley selection of disparate soldiers thrown together to fight an overseas war, for a cause that they don't really understand or care about. Their only aim is to survive the campaign, steel & trade war booty along the way, and eventually collect their promised pay. The characters are all well-rounded and have various fascinating personality flaws as well as some caring traits for their comrades in arms. Few books manage to be as compelling on every level as Essex Dogs: it's adventure, history, and heart' -- Dana Schwartz Especially the battle scenes are so well-written you can feel the tension as if you were really there. It's like a medieval version of 'Saving Private Ryan' or 'Band of Brothers'.

Book Review: ‘Essex Dogs,’ by Dan Jones - The New York Times

In September 1346 a weary, bloodied English army commanded by King Edward III arrived outside the city of Calais. The army had been in the field all summer. They had scored a spectacular against-all-odds victory over their enemies at the battle of Crécy. But it was not clear to most of them what was supposed to happen next. the beginning of the Hundred Year's War. King Edward III and invasion force have embarked to conquer France. It opens with a medieval ‘Private Ryan’ scene and doesn’t stop from there. It’s a harsh and bloody business and each step of the way was intriguing. I’m not the biggest Kindle fan, but this kept me reading until I finished 😄 The soldiers' lives are rather brilliantly recreated - the kit, the fighting, the boredom and discomfort.' The Times And they didn’t just lay siege. They built an entire town of their own in the marsh, as big as any English settlement outside London. Then they settled down to fight for control of Calais - seemingly willing to go to any lengths and incur any cost to take it.Visceral, thrilling, gripping, this is a wild ride into the hearts and minds of men fighting to the death—and each other. The battles that shaped Europeare seen from the point of view of the soldiers and the lives of ordinary people. Searing.” —Kate Williams, author of The Pleasures of Men and Becoming Queen Victoria Given the size and nature of Calais’ defences, and the preparations that had been laid down there in the event of such a siege, that effectively only one strategy could prevail.

Essex Dogs: (Essex Dogs Trilogy) by Dan Jones | WHSmith Essex Dogs: (Essex Dogs Trilogy) by Dan Jones | WHSmith

I know Dan as a historian through his non-fiction books and documentaries, but this is his first foray into historical fiction. And what a debut it is! The writing and storyline are top notch and the language used is authentic to the times; which is not always the case with some historical fiction.Some men fight for glory. Others fight for coin. The Essex Dogs? They fight for each other. About This Edition ISBN: Recipient of a few international literary awards and nominations, he enjoys reading gritty thrillers filled with moral dilemmas and a real sense of danger. Really gripping read, held my attention all the way through. The sort of book you should read to be able to appreciate how wars were fought in this period. The battle scenes are described so well you feel as though you’ve lived through them yourself, and it really does bring history to life. The Essex Dogs are a motley crew, together through necessity but also a deep bond between them all. The hardships they faced, the squalid conditions they have to put up with and the inequality between the ranks comes over very well. I look forward to the next book I. This series.

Essex Dogs by Dan Jones | Waterstones Essex Dogs by Dan Jones | Waterstones

Horribly compelling... Only Dan Jones can carry you through blood, piss and vomit and leave you wanting more' -- Daisy DunnVital, earthy, and heart-stopping... So deft and funny that you'd never guess this is Dan Jones' debut work of fiction' -- Suzannah Lipscomb I loved this book - I am already anxious to get my hands on the next book of this series. Dan Jones is an amazing writer, so it’s no surprise that his fiction work is as good as his non fiction work, all of which I’ve read. His character portrayal is fantastic and he just writes history so damn well. Fast paced, thrilling, I literally ate this book up. There really is nothing negative to say about this book. The characters, the setting of a bloody and violent period in time, the atmosphere, the pacing - I cannot fault it. If you are familiar with Dans non fiction work, you will appreciate this book. I’d highly recommend this book to everyone who enjoys history, historical fiction and well written books. I’m already Jonesing for book two (see what I did there?).

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment