276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Folk of the Faraway Tree: 1 (The Magic Faraway Tree)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

And keep in mind this is all about the adventure and that these books are essentially for kids. In fact, these books make an excellent start to get your kids reading and enjoying the written word. So, as an adult, don't be critical of the glaring irregularities of life - for example when the kids go to the Faraway Tree in the middle of the night and return early morning and their Mother doesn't really seem to mind. Be prepared also that within the group, it is Jo who predominantly takes control and makes the decisions. When at home Bessie and Fanny have to do 'female' chores with their Mother like sewing and Jo has to do 'male' chores with their Father like working the garden. I point this out ahead of reading - IT IS NOT SEXIST, it was just a reflection of the times when Blyton wrote these fantastic books.

You see, the Enchanted Wood is quite near here. And in the middle of it is the biggest, tallest tree in the world - very magic. It’s called the Faraway Tree" Originally published in the month of May in 1939, this was first brought out by the publisher George Newnes. Setting up the characters and the premise, this is the first book in the series of ‘The Faraway Tree’, as it sees them arrive for the first time. It also establishes the world it’s set within, as it depicts the magic and wonder of it all, allowing it to come alive for all the young readers. Mr 6: I would like to go to the land of get something for your Mummy. That wasn't in the book, but I would like to go to that land if it comes. Actually, I would like to go to that land where you buy things for other people so i could buy roses for you. *Kisses my forehead* I love you Mum.

One-off Novels

It wasn’t only a tree, it was a home for lots of little people and the path to strange adventures far above.” After all the intensity has passed it's "Goodbye!" to the Faraway Tree for this session and what better way to bow out than to visit one more land — a place that is simply one great Treat with a capital "T" and after that we are left waiting for the next book to arrive. The main characters are Jo, Bessie and Fanny (updated in recent revisions to Joe, Beth and Frannie), who are three siblings. Fanny is the youngest, Bessie is next in age and Jo is their big brother. They live near the Enchanted Wood and are friends of the residents of the Faraway Tree. Other characters include: My only complaint is I remember this seeming longer and them having loads more adventures but I think it would have just taken me longer to get through this book as a kid. Dame Slap, who runs a school for bad pixies which, in some of the adventures, the friends accidentally land in. Her name has been updated in later revisions of the book to Dame Snap.

I read about Curious Connie and the Faraway Tree, for what felt like both the first and the millionth time; re-discovered the children Joe, Beth and Frannie, Silky the fairy, Saucepan man, Dame Washalot, Mister Whatzisname, and of course, Moon-face who lives at the very top of the Faraway Tree. I fell into spellbinding lands: The Land of Marvels, The Land of Secrets and the Land of Enchantments, the ladder-that-never-ends and Hot-Cold Goodies. I remembered what had fuelled my imagination; sent it soaring to enchanted lands.So I say to anyone, read this to your young kids, it is brilliant. Full of fantasy and adventure but really simplified. There are no in-depth plots, it is just one adventure after another, no slow character build-ups, just in your face - these are the characters, now let's go. The first title of the main trilogy, The Enchanted Wood, was published in 1939, although the Faraway Tree and Moon-Face had already made a brief appearance in 1936 in The Yellow Fairy Book. A picture-strip book, Up the Faraway Tree, was published in 1951. Over the years, the Faraway Tree stories have been illustrated by various artists including Dorothy M. Wheeler (first editions), Rene Cloke, Janet and Anne Grahame Johnstone, and Georgina Hargreaves. [1] The Enchanted Wood [ edit ] First edition, 1939 First edition, 1943 First edition, 1946 The lands at the top are sometimes extremely unpleasant – for example, the Land of Dame Slap (altered to Dame Snap in revised editions), an aggressive school teacher; and sometimes fantastically enjoyable - notably the Land of Birthdays, the Land of Goodies, the Land of Take-What-You-Want, and the Land of Do-As-You-Please.

The stories take place in an enchanted wood in which a gigantic magical tree grows – the eponymous 'Faraway Tree'. The tree is so tall that its topmost branches reach into the clouds and it is wide enough to contain small houses carved into its trunk. The wood and the tree are discovered by three children who move into a house nearby. They befriend many of the residents and have adventures in magical lands that visit the top of the tree.This has always been my favourite of the trilogy. I always really liked Curious Connie. Even though she was rude, spoilt and sulky in the beginning? But then she didn't really seem that spoilt? Who wouldn't want to make a good first impression on meeting new people and wearing a nice dress? And who wouldn't be sulky after getting stained with ink and dumped with washing water. Sure she deserved the first one, she was told not to peek in on the Angry Pixie but I don't know. It feels like she was unfairly demonised for being a bit nosy. Doodle came. Bessie and Fanny felt nervous, and hoped that their hair and hands and dresses were clean and tidy. The first title of the main trilogy, The Enchanted Wood, was published in 1939, although the Faraway Tree and Moon-Face had already made a brief appearance in 1936 in The Yellow Fairy Book. A picture-strip book, Up the Faraway Tree, was published in 1951. Even after all these years, I still adore this book. It's filled with the kind of adventures you long for as a child, even adult me would love to climb the Faraway Tree! I find it hard to find an aspect of the Faraway Tree Stories that I can hate or dislike, these were the stories I begun reading for myself at the age of nine, and ever since I have made a habit of returning to them at least once a year never wanting to forget the magic of the stories and how they became such a large part of my childhood. Who could forget the Land of Spells or the Land of Do-As-You-Please or The Land of Take-What-You-Want? Those being just a few of my most loved lands atop the magical Faraway Tree.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment