276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Empire of the Damned: 2 (Empire of the Vampire)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

This is daring and risky of Kristoff, but no, the style of the framing narrative is not the main issue I had with this book. I am a fan of framing narratives; seeing how the details of the legends explored and achieved often felt satisfying to me. And I believe this storytelling style should be featured more prominently in the fantasy genre. I mentioned at the beginning of this review that I experienced both hell and heaven reading this book. So I'm going to start with the bad experience first. There is no easy way of saying this: I hate-read the majority of the first half of Empire of the Vampire. stars and the .25 is given incredibly reluctantly. This is an absolute dumpster fire of a book and I’m going to do my best to articulate why in a concise and organized way...but honestly the book made me so angry that I might go off the rails. A bit of a mixed bag for me here, but with more positives than negatives. One moment, I found myself grinning at some brilliant quote, the next, I was rolling my eyes at some of the more juvenile jokes. There's definitely a fair share of dirty humor in there, which wasn't always my cup of tea. Through it all though Kristoff's writing style is intense and vivid, the sort that drags you in and doesn't let go. i got about 25% in before i realised my ARC was only an extended sampler and, because of that and personal reading preferences, i am going to hold off until i have a complete copy. but what i did read. oh my goodness. release day cant come soon enough. Pretty sure that's Kristoff's motto in life 😂. Gotta love him—because there is probably, IMHO, never a statement as true as this. There is no light without darkness. Life is an endless circle of positives & negatives, and one can never exist without the other. And to embrace it? That takes an immense amount of strength. It is proof that we have lived—that we are STILL living, still alive... we are survivors.

Empire of the Vampire Makes Vampires Scary Again Empire of the Vampire Makes Vampires Scary Again

And, again, I just find it hilarious how serious this book tried to take itself, because if it was a satire or a comedy?? Absolutely here for it. I mean, how can you have something like this— 'spirits that strong will burn like a trencherman’s fart in a candleshop'—and other various phrases and expect this book to be viewed as something edgy, something dark, something just so gruesome and unique and whining about how your magnificent "magnum opus" didn't make GR Choice selection blah blah WHEN YOU WRITE LIKE THIS??? And in sight of God and his Seven Martyrs, I do here vow; Let the dark know my name and despair. So long as it burns, I am the flame. So long as it bleeds, I am the blade. So long as it sins, I am the saint. And I am silver." but he mostly gets away with his drunken " I am the night" routine, because who doesn't like a tall, dark, half-vampire dude with magic tattoos and a tragic past and beautiful hair, honestly, that shit is money in the bank where's my Emmy.

The Empire of the Vampire Series in Order (2 Books)

All these issues made me struggle a LOT reading the first half of Empire of the Vampire. If it weren't because the beautiful interior artwork exist, and my buddy-read friends who convinced me to persevere, I would've given up. Fortunately, I did not give up. Lady Fortuna shines on me. What happened? Two words: second half. I'm also gonna talk about the language in here, and by language I mean not-English and how the author doesn't seem to get that YOU CAN JUST WRITE IN ENGLISH IT'S OKAY using 'oui', 'merci', and 'ma famille' instead of yes, thanks, and my family ( gonna ignore the halfway-started use of KEN for KNOW/KNOWING) okay! It doesn't add multicultural flavor; it just makes you look like an appropriator and looks dumb when used like that. I'll forgive it on Wattpad but not in a book published by a major company nor from an author who should really know better. Compton Crook Award Winners [Version HH-56]". 24 May 2013. Archived from the original on 11 August 2015. The characters here are wonderfully written - with you loving some and hating some, and all of them being interesting in their own way. The main protagonist is incredible, and even after one book (granted, it's a huge book) the characters growth you get to see here is wonderful. It evokes many of the same feelings you get reading the characters in Realm of the Elderlings, which is extremely high praise as I think Robin Hobb is the undisputed champion for character writing in fantasy novels.

Empire of the Damned: The most hotly anticipated fantasy

There’s a beast in all men’s blood, Gabriel. You can starve him. Cage him. Curse him. But in the end, you pay the beast his due, or he takes his due from you.

Events

I received an advanced review copy of Empire of the Vampire in exchange for an honest review. Thank you to Jay Kristoff and Harper Voyager. Minor spoilers may follow.

EotV 2021 - Jay Kristoff

Kristoff was born in Perth, Western Australia in 1973. [2] As a child, Kristoff read frequently and played tabletop games, [3] including Dungeons & Dragons. [4] Kristoff is 6'7" tall. [5] He graduated from college with an Arts degree. [6] He worked in creative advertising for television for eleven years before beginning his literary career. [7] He lives in Melbourne, Australia with his wife. It should surprise absolutely no one at this point that rape is also a favorite plotline. I count at the very least 4 named female characters who were raped in this book. Again, just more violence against women. New Book Deal | Jay Kristoff - Literary Giant". jaykristoff.com. Archived from the original on 11 March 2016. Esas escenas del presente de ambos personajes funcionó bastante bien. Le dio una profundidad personal a la historia y, además, el narrador es muy poco fiable, lo cual aumenta la sospecha e incertidumbre en una historia llena de secretos y revelaciones. Sangre y aceros. Vida y muerte. TORTUOUS GD genius that he is! You'd think that it would be just plain painful... but no, nope, not a chance. For all the pain, there was so much utter bliss (not so much for the characters, though, because they face all manners of hardship for just a drop of happiness, it feels like...), in reading this absolutely fantastic tale.

EotV 2021

It was the twenty-seventh year of daysdeath in the realm of the Forever King, and his murderer was waiting to die.” La acción es implacable y visceral cuando llega, y bastante gráfica. Escenas obscenas y con un humor negro y cínico infundido en la historia.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment