276°
Posted 20 hours ago

How Sweet To Be An Idiot

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

a b "Why were Oasis were sued over the song Whatever?". Radio X. 30 December 2019 . Retrieved 28 August 2020.

The Idiot Bast**d Band| Wyvern Theatre, Swindon". Swindontheatres.co.uk . Retrieved 30 December 2019. Whatever (MC single liner notes). Oasis. Australia: Creation. 1994. 661079 8. {{ cite AV media notes}}: CS1 maint: others in cite AV media (notes) ( link)Likewise his only hit with the Bonzos, 1968’s ‘I’m The Urban Spaceman’, or one of his many contributions to the Monty Python musical canon – ‘Knights Of The Round Table’, or ‘Brave Sir Robin’. Whether as avant-garde comedy provocateur, straight song-writer or prime ‘60s and ‘70s musical satirist, Innes’ skill with a timelessly catchy melody verged on the surgical. It was here that his individual character as a kind of ‘70s jester minstrel shone through, enhancing and dovetailing with the songs of Idle and the other main Python players. Innes wrote songs and sketches for their final TV series and performed with the Python live show, famously introduced as Raymond Scum on the 1976 US-only live album ‘Monty Python Live At City Center’ and opening his Dylan pastiche ‘Protest Song’ with the words “ I’ve suffered for my music, now it’s your turn”. He also wrote songs for and made cameos in Monty Python And The Holy Grail and Monty Python’s Life Of Brian, becoming sufficiently engrained in the troupe to earn the title of The Seventh Python. Innes was occasionally heard (often as the butt of jokes) standing in as the pianist for the BBC Radio 4 panel game I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue. [17] Eurochart Hot 100 Singles" (PDF). Music & Media. Vol.11, no.5. 4 February 1995. p.36 . Retrieved 30 May 2020.

With Idle moving to LA, Innes made his own BBC TV series called The Innes Book Of Records in 1979 before utilising his family-friendly image to move into children’s TV and books in the ‘80s and ‘90s, as well as literary travel series Away With Words. The Bonzos and The Rutles would re-emerge sporadically over the coming decades, with The Rutles most notably releasing a parody of The Beatles’ ‘Anthology’ entitled ‘The Rutles Archaeology’ in 1996, but Innes’ tendency for comic subterfuge would remained undimmed into the new century. In 2010 he formed The Idiot Bastard Band, a purposefully unrehearsed comedy song collective which would include Phil Jupitus, Adrian Edmondson, Roland Rivron and Paul Whitehouse across the next two years.

Words of Innespiration – The Lyrics & Unplanned Career of Neil Innes". Neilinnes.org. Archived from the original on 13 November 2002 . Retrieved 23 November 2011. In 1998, Innes hosted a 13-episode television series for Anglia Television, called Away with Words, in which he travelled to different areas of Britain to explore the origins of well-known words and phrases. [15] McGrath, Rachel (30 December 2019). "John Cleese leads tributes to 'towering talent' Neil Innes after Monty Python collaborator's death aged 75". Evening Standard . Retrieved 30 December 2019.

The song has been used by Coca-Cola in its 2012 campaign celebrating its 125th anniversary [6] and also in Italian Vodafone commercials. [7] It was also used by Asahi Breweries for their Asahi Off beer commercials in Japan. [8] [9] Critical reception [ edit ] It is one of the great albums of all time, and deserves rediscovery. However, the reissuers screwed up this release royally. Innes took part, along with the remaining Monty Python members, in the 2002 Concert for George, in memory of George Harrison. [16] New concerts were scheduled in 2011. Jupitus was unable to attend due to prior commitments and was replaced by several special guests, including Paul Whitehouse, Barry Cryer and Nigel Planer. [21] Following the death of Brint, the band performed a further tour in 2012. The band's name is a play on Frank Zappa's song The Idiot Bastard Son.The Bonzos would release four albums in their initial incarnation – featuring alleged guest spots from the likes of John Wayne, Harold Wilson and Hitler, sheep choirs, trouser press solos and concept pieces about the small town of Keynsham – and have the likes of Keith Moon sit in on drums while drummer ‘Legs’ Larry Smith did his tap-dancing segment during gigs such as the 1969 Isle Of Wight festival. Whatever (CD promo liner notes). Oasis. Europe: Helter Skelter. 1994. SAMP 2529. {{ cite AV media notes}}: CS1 maint: others in cite AV media (notes) ( link) United Artists had been very kind to me ... In my own way, I wanted to repay them – by making a bunch of silly singles at a time when the music industry still seemed to have a sense of humour. Wrong again. [6] m4v" (in Japanese). 23 January 2010. Archived from the original on 12 December 2021 . Retrieved 12 January 2012– via YouTube. When Neil Innes died unexpectedly in December 2019 the world lost more than just a singer and songwriter. Innes was an important nexus point between several of the most popular cultural phenomena of the twentieth century, chief amongst them being The Beatles and Monty Python. A de facto member of the latter – the ‘Seventh Python’– and an admirer, friend and participant in the world of the former, Innes has often been thought of as a cult figure, tied up in the worlds and stories of others. But he was always much more than that and his work as an individual, away from his megastar friends and the legacy of the marvellous Bonzo Dog Band, is a treasure trove of melody, comedy and pathos.

While it may not have achieved mainstream success, the song has become a cult favorite among fans of comedy music and has cemented Neil Innes’s reputation as a talented and innovative songwriter. 12. Has Neil Innes spoken about the meaning of the song in interviews?a b "Neil Innes". MSN Music. Archived from the original on 10 August 2011 . Retrieved 23 November 2011. He appeared on stage with the Pythons in the UK and Canada in 1973, in London in 1974 and in New York City in 1976, performing the Bob Dylanesque "Protest Song" (complete with harmonica) on the album Monty Python Live at City Center. He was introduced as Raymond Scum. After his introduction he told the audience, "I've suffered for my music. Now it's your turn." In 1980, he travelled to the States with the Pythons again, subsequently appearing in Monty Python Live at the Hollywood Bowl. He performed the songs " How Sweet to Be an Idiot" and " I'm the Urban Spaceman". He also appeared as one of the singing "Bruces" in the Philosopher Sketch and as a Church Policeman in the "Salvation Fuzz" sketch.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment