276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Colour

£4.995£9.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

THe next day could bring hot, dry air from the northern tropics- never have I lived in place where the statement "Don't like the weather? There is a timelessness to Tremain's prose, despite the effective rooting of her novel in a very particular period and setting. In 2009, she donated the short story The Jester of Astapovo to Oxfam's " Ox-Tales" project, four collections of UK stories written by 38 authors.

THE COLOUR by Rose Tremain - Publishers Weekly THE COLOUR by Rose Tremain - Publishers Weekly

Such a command of fictional techniques reminds us that Rose Tremain for many years taught on the famed Creative Writing M. Joseph will be lured away by "the colour" which is the name they refer to for gold, as more and more men arrive seeking their fortune in the fastest way possible, a lottery of digging and hard work, with no guarantee of success. It's entertaining, but there are so many more worthy books out there, I wish I hadn't wasted my time. If you do know anything about NZ then it will fascinate you, as it's spot on about early settler life. Maybe the point was that life doesn't always make sense or turn out well--it's a melancholy book--but there's something rather distancing about Tremain's vision or her writing style that I didn't feel I entirely understood.Joseph wanted to cross the room and put his arms around Harriet and gather her hair into a knot in his hand. Newlyweds Joseph and Harriet Blackstone arrive from England with Joseph's widowed mother Lillian in tow. From this point on, the narrative, already full of subtleties and surprises, becomes riveting, as nature and human nature collide. Perhaps I've simply read too many Victorian novels and have become locked into a cycle of explosive secret inflation, when maybe it is a case of how destructive that secret is to the character not the reader. If you have concerns about how we have used your personal information, you also have the right to complain to a privacy regulator.

The Colour - Rose Tremain

Highly regarded in England, Tremain has yet to win her discriminating audience here, although her seventh work of fiction, Restoration , brought her fine reviews on these shores.The blurb declares the novel 'by turns both moving and terrifying', and describes it as being 'about a quest for the impossible, an attempt to mine the complexities of love and explore the sacrifices to be made in the pursuit of happiness.

The Colour by Rose Tremain | Waterstones

British Council complies with data protection law in the UK and laws in other countries that meet internationally accepted standards.Harriet hat ihr trostloses Leben als Gouvernante in England hinter sich gelassen und versucht gemeinsam mit ihrem Mann Joseph und dessen Mutter Lillian ihr Glück in der Kolonie. Recent novels include Trespass (2010); Merival: A Man of His Time (2012), a sequel to Restoration; and The Gustav Sonata (2016). Strong, spirited ex-governess Harriet Salt has narrowly avoided spinsterdom; to her, New Zealand represents the freedom to explore new horizons. The storytelling bravura can also be deliberately playful, as when Robert Merivel, the blustering hero of Restoration (1989), directly addresses the reader: ‘You have all too clear a picture of me now, have you not? So it was with incredulity that I found myself reading with snowballing fascination and joy 'The Colour.

Rose Tremain - Wikipedia Rose Tremain - Wikipedia

But Joseph is distracted by gold fever after finding some of "the colour," and he is haunted by memories of the heinous act that led to his flight from England.Her hallmarks are the atmospheric creation of places and personalities – whether in historical or contemporary settings – and the sensuous evocations of food, drink, and sexual appetites. She describes the landscapes of New Zealand beautifully, and slowly unfolds the stories of the various characters, revealing the mysteries surrounding them as the book goes on.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment