276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Star Wars The High Republic: Path Of Deceit

£8.495£16.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

This is not an illustrated book but I’ll use as many images as I can to help you visualize scenes and characters. This review contains light spoilers. Path of Deceit Plot As the Republic spreads to the far reaches of the galaxy, two Jedi clash with zealots from a religion dedicated to liberating the Force. Model Jennifer Günthel provided reference for Marda Ro's pose on the cover of Path of Vengeance. [4] Media [ ] Editions [ ] Path of Deceit is a young adult novel written by Tessa Gratton and Justina Ireland. It was released on October 4th, 2022.

The High Republic began in 2021, introducing Star Wars fans to a whole new era which takes place two hundred years before The Phantom Menace. With completion of Phase One the series now moves on to Phase Two which is set another one hundred and fifty years in the past. Billed as a way to bring new readers on board, Path of Deceit is the first book in the new phase. It is written by newcomer Tessa Gratton and previous High Republic author Justina Ireland. Anti-Magical Faction: The Path of the Open Hand preaches that the Force should not be used and only observed at a distance, which puts them at odds with the Jedi. Hypocritically, the Mother uses the Force to prop herself up as a prophet and an avatar of the Force's will.In The High Republic Adventures {Phase I}, we were introduced to a group called the Elders of the Path, a group that doesn’t approve of people using the Force. Sound familiar!? Amongst the Path of the Open Hand’s hierarchy are Elders, so I imagine they splinter from the Open Hand or continue its teachings after…whatever comes for the Open Hand in Phase II. Regardless, there’s a Little of the Open Hand Marda looks after named Tromak, the Elder Zeen Mrala and Krix are initially with as part of Elders of the Path group in Phase I, so Tromak’s a long-time believer! I had a good time reading Path of Deceit, some books are a roller coaster of emotions, but this one is not. Everything is calm for the first two-thirds of the book but once you get to the plot twist you won’t be able to put it down. Yana Ro, a cousin of Marda Ro, is arguably Path of Deceit’s most interesting character. While Kevmo and Marda are all-in on their opposing ideologies, Yana finds herself in a middle ground. She has no love for the Jedi and while she is a member of the Path, she is actively pursuing a way out of the cult over the course of the book. Her allegiances lie with herself and her girlfriend, fellow Path member Kor Plouth, as well as her cousin Marda.

There’s also a strange cult living separately from the main town: The Path of the Open Hand. This cult is led by The Mother, a human female that claims to have Force visions. They can be odd, but they co-exist peacefully with the rest of the population and welcome anyone who needs it.For Marda, she has long been searching for her calling. For many years she has yearned to join the Children, like her cousin Yana. She burns with a desire to travel the stars, proselytize on behalf of the Path, and liberate Force objects from the hands of those who would abuse them. So far, her efforts to join have been turned down by the Mother. However, she now believes going to Jedha is where she is called. Unfortunately, her heart is broken when she is denied by The Mother in taking her cousin Yana and going to Jedha. This is happening while the Path is finishing the construction of a ship that will take select members up into the stars to take the message of the Path to the galaxy. This ship is called the Gaze Electric. Yes, THAT Gaze Electric. Marchion Ro’s flagship. Up to this point, Marda has desperately wanted to be on board when it departs. This tension with the Jedi delivers a great storyline of contrasting beliefs. Kevmo and Marda have both lived nearly all their lives entrenched in the beliefs of those around them. Marda has essentially been raised by the Path and Kevmo, by the Jedi. Neither has been forced to confront a fierce challenge to their belief system. Like many of us, we tend to grow up believing and putting our faith in whatever those around us, the people who raise us do. But at some point, you are confronted with something different, something contrary to what you have thought. You must find your faith, or your belief for yourself and discover the “why” behind it. It’s a critical part of growing up. Both Kevmo and Marda face this and the difficult questions that come with it. A Jedi Padawan from Pantora, he’s an outgoing, energetic, and sometimes impulsive apprentice. Jedi Master Macri asked to be her teacher despite the traits that some could consider challenging. Kevmo is eager to learn as much about the Force as he can, his young age allows him to have more open-minded than more seasoned Jedi. Marda and Yana Ro Of course, it wouldn’t be a proper Star Wars book without pain and suffering. But you’ll be happy about the undercurrent of darkness running through the novel.That vein is ripped open in the third act through a series of escalating horror, which concludes in a haunting cliffhanger.

When Marda and Kevmo meet, their connection is instantaneous and electric—until Marda discovers Kevmo is a Jedi. But Kevmo is so kind and eager to learn more about the Path, that she hopes she can convince him of the rightness of her beliefs. What Marda doesn’t realize is that the leader of the Path, a charismatic woman known only as the Mother, has an agenda of her own, and it is one that can never coexist peacefully with the Jedi. Early on in this book, I was enthralled with the Path of the Open Hand. It was intriguing to dive deep into another Force-believing group. The Path was actually founded by a former Guardian of the Whills and the book references other Force groups throughout like the Sorcerers of Tund. Believing the Force is something that can be taken away is a new concept and how it so strongly contradicts what the Jedi believe made for some great drama.First I’ll talk about the positive points of the book. The master-apprentice relationship between Zallah and Kevmo is great, even if it’s not explored as much as I’d have liked. Her calm and cold-headed approach makes up for his impulsiveness, it reminds me of Obi-Wan and Anakin. Zallah Macri Batuu received a namedrop in this one. As a visitor myself to the now famed Disney location, I thought it interesting to note. The Mother has been acting strange, well stranger, ever since Yana saw her with this mysterious orb. We see the Mother in a few places throughout the book holding audiences. Each time she holds in her hands this mysterious orb; obsessively caressing it, never letting it out of her grasp. I was so frustrated trying to think of what it could be. Clearly, this was something vital to the story. Little did I know…. Aside from the Mother and The Herald the book largely focuses on a pair of Evereni sisters, Marda and Yana Ro. These two are the same species as the Eye of the Nihil, Marchion Ro, from Phase I and since they share a last name it’s safe to assume they are directly related to Marchion. Side note: Marchion Ro’s first comic appearance was in Star Wars: The High Republic Adventures #2 from IDW.

The Path of the Open Hand is one of the most interesting organizations in the long history of the Star Wars franchise. A “force cult” that believes that the galaxy should live in harmony with the force but not actually use it. The Mother leads the group. Therefore sending members out into the galaxy to spread the word of The Path with “gifts freely given”. However, she isn’t entirely the selfless prophet she presents herself as. The High Republic: Path of Deceit Audiobook One character I wish we got to spend more time with was the Herald, the original leader of the Path before the Mother showed up with her Force visions only a few years before the start of this book. He really comes into play in the final part of the book and it’s clear we’ll be spending more time with these characters in Phase II, so I’ll get my wish, but his plans, as well as the Mother’s, are ones I’ll be eager to see explored.Our compound is not far,” the Herald said, leading the way to a slightly less muddy road out of the small settlement. My Significance Sense Is Tingling: Kor Plouth, one of the few Force sensitive members of the Path, gets a sense of unease from the large jewel that Sunshine gave the Mother and that the latter is keeping by her side. This is foreshadowing that the gem is actually a Nameless egg, and the one that hatches the Great Leveler. The answer is that Marchion’s ancestors Marda and Yana Ro were integral members of the Path of the Open Hand. They are among the first individuals to see the Leveler and its formidable power. Phase I of the High Republic left audiences with many questions. Placing Phase II 150 years before Phase I means that many of those questions can’t be answered until Phase III, especially when it comes to the unresolved fates of characters like Burryaga Agaburry and Lula Talisola. Oh, yes.” She took the object as if it weighed very little, and her face became rapturous as she cradled it to her chest. “It sings with the Force, alive and wondrous! Oh, the Force delights in this liberation. We shall take it, Sunshine. Please, name your price.”

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment