276°
Posted 20 hours ago

London Belongs to Me (Penguin Modern Classics)

£5.495£10.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Después de terminar TSIOW me era difícil imaginar que iba a encontrar otro libro que me gustará tanto. Así que no leí inmediatamente LBTM. Error!

This was written in 1945 and is a sprawling soap opera of a book, detailing the lives of the inhabitants of one london house, the ficional 10 Dulcimer Street. The other characters in this book are, unfortunately, similarly one-note and terrible. You’ve got Lucy, the far-more-interesting best friend who graciously focuses every waking moment on devoting herself to the privileged Alex; Freddie, the obligatory gay friend who is conveniently more interested in Alex’s love life than his own; loutish Tom who likes booze and sex and not much else; poorly drawn Harry, whose friendship with Alex apparently wasn’t extensive enough for him to have discussed, and later recognized, her last major playwriting project; and Mark, the milquetoast love interest whose main personality traits seem to be having an Irish accent and owning a Vespa. The jossers are the solid centre of the book Usually referred to as Mr and Mrs - we meet them as Mr Josser retires from his city clerk job and half dreams of retiring in the country. But can they part from London. These are the moral core of the book and the sense of neighbourlyness and community emminates from this family.Jacquelyn writes love stories for hopeful romantics—'hopeful' because her novels are always optimistic and she believes 'happily ever afters' are more important now than ever before. But life is messy, relationships are messy, and her books aren't afraid to go there, too. If you enjoy character and relationship-driven stories about people dealing with the triumphs and disasters we all face, Jacquelyn’s books are for you.

But Alex is not the only great character in the novel. I'm still in awe how the author managed to create the side characters just perfectly. Their depth is truly fantastic and makes it possible to understand each of their motives, even of Olivia, our main antagonist. Even worse, Mr Puddy – he has a nasal problem so his speech, alone in the book, gets written phonetically:

Retailers:

This novel took over my whole week. It must be the longest I’ve finished since Jonathan Norrell and Mr Strange which was years ago. Four stars. Recommended. felt mildly annoyed by Alex's choices; for much of the book, she didn't even attempt to combat her mental and ( mostly) physical opponents

All of this, and everything else about Alex, points to a fundamental misunderstanding of Jacquelyn Middleton's as to why people read these types of books. Again, the reason my copy of Bridget Jones is basically falling apart after countless rereads is because Bridget offers hope of happiness amidst the dreariness of real life - not because she's a perfect woman unfairly victimized by external events.Alex's anxiety and the situations she ended up in actually made me feel anxious. Not Illuminae level anxious but still pretty bad. Jacquelyn's books have been featured by The Hollywood Reporter, NBC News, The Los Angeles Times, The New York Daily News, USA Today, Cosmo, Redbook, the Huffington Post, and Entertainment Weekly. how come in books and movies people don't wait to hear the other person explain a misunderstanding ?!? Does this actually happen in real life?! If you really want to keep this friend/person in your life, JUST LISTEN ! You don't have to say anything or forgive them right away. After they've said what they needed to say Your flight is now boarding! Join Alex Sinclair for a life-changing, trans-Atlantic journey. London Belongs to Me is a coming-of-age story about friendship, following your dreams, and learning when to let go … and when to hang on.

Welcome to 10 Dulcimer Street, to the lodging house owned by Mrs. Vizzard. In this book, we meet the lodgers and follow them over a 2 year period- 1938-1940- the eve of WWII through to the beginning.La trama de la historia es sencilla, pero muy interesante; los personajes están bien elaborados y el final está bien logrado. Necesito más finales como ese, con un toque de esperanza.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment