276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Ivy and Bean's Treasure Box: (Beginning Chapter Books, Funny Books for Kids, Kids Book Series) (Ivy & Bean Bundle Set)

£7.495£14.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Eleanor: I don't know. Maybe if you want to do the dancing spell, you stand on the edge of the pit and wave your arms and do the dancing spell. Kids will be kids, and that certainly involves their fair share of mischief. But unlike protagonists in other children's books (think Beverly Cleary's Ramona or Judy Blume's Fudge), Ivy and Bean revel in their misdeeds and are never called to account for them. Bean's mom even found it mildly funny that the girls threw worms in the face of her older sister. This is a cute children’s story characterized by humor, vibrant colors, and an intriguing storyline. The girls’ characters are done so well, and you cannot help but marvel at their creativity. Bean is the wild and restless one, while Ivy has an overactive mind. The girls easily build their worlds and enjoy getting their hands dirty like other children their age. Their silly pranks will land them in trouble but leave you with a smile on your face. The illustrations are well distributed throughout the book and add a lot to the story. You will love interacting with Bean with her wild nature and all the mischief. Ivy is also such a joy with her big dreams and all kinds of imaginations. In this story the mothers of both Ivy and Bean (Bernice) have been telling them they should become friends. They live across a cul-de-sac from each other. But both girls have hesitations and have not bothered acting on the advice. Until the day Bean is about to get in big trouble, and Ivy encourages her to run from her older sister who is getting their mother. And helps bean to hide and formulate a plan. Ivy believes she is a witch and from the set up of her room she has fairly liberal parents. She has a spell book she got from an aunt that is over 100 years old. The two plot to put a spell on Bean’s sister to force her to dance non-stop. To do so they need worms, lots and lots of worms.

I can't believe it's been five years since Pre-School. I can't believe it's been 5 years since she's first read these books. Crazy.* This book was recommended to my niece, nephew, and me by Cheryl in CCNV, and it was a good recommendation! My niece loved this book! I think she identified with the main characters. She understood their friendship and their motivations, and enjoyed the growth of their relationship. She was excited by the story almost immediately, and urged me to read multiple chapters to her in one sitting, which is rare. Ivy and Bean is a cute story that many children will find intriguing. In the story, you get to meet two seven-year-old girls who are as different as day and night and see how their daily lives look like. At the heart of the story is an important lesson, there is more to friendship than being the same. If you give people a chance, you will realize that they are a better company than you had assumed. Incredibly, a beautiful friendship is born out of these two girls’ interactions. While there is some mischief involved, it is also notable that the girls get appropriate punishment for their actions. Dad: Eleanor, what about you? Is your favorite part today the same as your favorite part when you read it five years ago, or has it changed... Or have you changed?

What is the best order for the Ivy and Bean series?

Eleanor: ...I think I've changed some. And, I think that my. favorite. part. *thinking* is when Nancy danced on the worm pit. I didn't understand the dancing spell when I was younger. Five years ago, I thought that you put on a costume and the vest made you dance around. Dad: So, did you like it because you're younger than nine, and you were already allowed to get your ears pierced? Eleanor: I was just thinking of There's a Boy in the Girl's Bathroom - the review we wrote for it. I was thinking of the asides you put on it, you put an aside that said, "scared" and you put in another that said "crammed on the bench," but Poppy hadn't really said that. Do you remember? I thought of Poppy saying the things that you put in the asides, but she didn't really say them. Now, my younger daughter asked me to read this one to her. She loves it. She begs me for "just one more chapter" and wants to read all of them. And, I have to admit, after years of reading books to my kids, I've found Ivy and Bean to be among the best of the early chapter books, and I can see the appeal for both boys and girls. I had heard so much about these books from kids. Last year, my son read all that he could get his hands on. My son's friends talk about them because their teacher is reading them to the class. They all say how much they love these books, how funny they are, how much they love when the teacher reads them. We were at the book store and my son wanted me to buy him one, so I did. When his older brother said: What do you want that for? It's a girls' book. My younger son turned around and said: No, it's not. It's a good book.

One of the big problems of being a kid is that your parents often try to make you play with people you don’t really like. My parents were forever trying to get me to like the kids of their friends. These kids were often weird. I didn’t want to play with them. It was a problem. My nephew also listened to the story, and he seemed to enjoy it to a certain extent. He seemed to have a surprisingly good grasp on the complexities of the sibling relationship, and really seemed to identify with Bean's frustration with her older sister (no surprise there). He did tell me he didn't like the book, but for a four year old, he sure did sit quietly and listen to me read it!The books are a great leveled reader. Both my girls read it the first month of grade 4. At grade 4 if reading at grade level this book should be an easy read. If they are a little behind grade level, they will need some help. But both girls love the book and the story. But I had to want my youngest that it is a story and not an instructional manual, she cannot do to her sister what bean did to hers! And I have a feeling based on my youngest that I will be reading the whole series soon. It's Career Day at Emerson Elementary School, and all the students have to choose what they want to be when they grow up. No problem. Ivy and Bean already have that all figured out. At least, they thought so, until they met Herman the Treasure Hunter. Now everyone in the second grade is looking for treasure—and finding it. Everyone except Ivy and Bean, that is. They need to get out their shovels and turn up some treasure on the double! In the stories, Ivy, a quiet intellectual girl, and Bean, a rambunctious wild girl, become fast friends despite their differences and initial reluctance to like each other. The series tagline sums up the series as "two friends who never meant to like each other." They are both seven year old girls who live on the cul-de-sac of Pancake Court which is set in an unmentioned town. In each book, they get into considerable mischief and have wild adventures with the other characters in the neighborhood. It is amazing how the girls tell the ghost story. The mark on the floor is said to be the portal through which the ghost enters from the underworld. A mist sometimes occurs right outside the bathroom, and the girls manage to convince their friends that this is the ghost. The fact that the bathroom gets very cold at times makes their story even more believable. When the teacher scolds Ivy for the ghost story, the imaginative girl comes up with another plan. She is going to make some portions and offer gifts that are sure to make the ghost disappear. A good number of the girls in school show up for the event, but the gathering attracts the fifth-grade teacher’s attention. This only spells more trouble for this duo.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment