276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Rab Men's Valiance Jacket Warm Waterproof Durable Winter Protection Jacket Down Filled

£245.6£491.20Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

There’s a YKK front zip with an internal zip baffle which helps to keep out the wind and rain. All the zips and draw cords are easy to use with gloves on. They feel tough and easily up to the job they’re intended for. The outer Pertex Shield layer is reasonably thin too. I have been slightly worried about catching the material on thorns and hedgerows in case it gets ripped. The fabric has rip-stop properties however and so perhaps I am being unjustly cautious. Something to bear in mind in any case. Step four: If using Nikwax Down Wash Direct, place 100ml in either the tray or directly into the washing machine inside a small pot/ball. If you choose to use another washing product, place the appropriate amount in the machine in the same way. Rab have become renowned over the past 30+ years for making outdoor gear at the top end of the market, and the Rab Valiance is a shining example of their credentials.”

Main Insulation: 700FP Recycled Down with Nikwax Fluorocarbon-Free Hydrophobic Finish (205g/7.2oz Size M) Insulation: 170gof 800FP R.D.S Certified European Goose down. Pyrotec™ synthetic insulated hood and cuffs. Main Fabric: 30D Pertex® Shield 2L coated fabric (75gsm) with fluorocarbon-free DWR. HH: 10,000mm/MVTR: 10,000 g/m2/24hrsThe bonded box-wall design means that none of the main panels of the coat have any stitching or seam taping within the panel and so are remarkably waterproof. A warm, waterproof shell designed to withstand the cold unpredictable months of the year. Rab says:

The hood is a highlight for me, as stated above it is filled with Stratus synthetic and when cinched down feels incredibly comfortable and warm, it is adjusted with a drawcord around the crown, and has a stiffened peak to keep rain and snowdrift out of your eyes. This down doesn’t extend into the helmet however. Instead, Rab have opted to use a synthetic insulation, which interestingly, is called Pyrotec. Even in the harsh weather conditions and unrelenting spray, the Valiance continued to perform keeping us warm and dry throughout our trip. It’s Pertex outer held up to the punishment of a long-wet walk showing little signs of giving up, while the 800fp Goose Down continued to keep me warm throughout the day. The cuffs are similarly excellent, using a hook and loop (i.e. Velcro) system to allow adjustment to a user-preference tightness.

The inner depths of the Valiance is where things get interesting. Rab have used a bonded narrow box-wall design for the Valiance, filled with 800 fill-power goose down insulation. These are just about the best down feathers that Rab supply (in terms of volume or ‘loft’), and they are from ethically reared geese. I bought the Valiance at the perfect time for testing it – the nights had begun to draw in around November time, and freezing rain was hammering Sutton Park (my local stomping ground) on a regular basis. Size-wise, I went for the Men’s XL which fitted me well at 6ft3 tall and average build. I only recently discovered that Rab, the upmarket outdoor clothing design house, are based just up the road from us in Alfreton, Derbyshire. We are based in Birmingham. For some reason I had always imagined Rab to be a Scottish company, owing to their founder Rab Carrington being a proud Scot. I felt a little deflated – Derbyshire just doesn’t seem as glamorous as ‘the Highlands of Scotland’ to my impressionable mind. Their gear is still rather good though!

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment