276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Playground

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Playground by Aron Beauregard is a truly chilling and uncomfortable novel that will leave even the most seasoned horror fans squirming. The author’s ability to create a relentless and suspenseful atmosphere is commendable. From the very beginning, the story grips you with its intense and diabolical premise, and it never lets go. Underhill también es un ejemplo de un personaje que lucha contra la corriente de la vida y la sociedad, similar a Montag en Fahrenheit. Estos personajes se niegan constantemente a aceptar lo que otros ven como "la forma en que son las cosas". Claro que sufren por ello, pero si no fuera por tales visionarios, los sufrimientos de todos continuarían en el mismo patrón durante generaciones. En el parque hay otro niño, Tom, que le confiesa es su amigo Adulto Tom Marshall, quien también se preocupó por su propio hijo, por lo que decidió cambiar de lugar con el. Resulta que el parque tiene ese poder, si juegas en el.

The Playground: Ray Bradbury’s terrifying short story, one of the great stories of childhood-as-nightmare, appeared originally in Esquire in October 1953; it first appeared in book form in the Ballantine first issue of his famous novel, Fahrenheit 451. Charles Underhill, seeking to protect his young son from the agonies of schoolyard bullying in the playground makes a deal with the playground’s mysterious manager but only at the end discovers the true nature of the pact. A thousand times before and after his wife’s death, Mr. Charles Underhill ignored the Playground on his way to and from his commuter’s limited train. He neither liked nor disliked the Playground; he hardly knew it existed. I found this to be intriguing at first and then maddening as it became obvious what was going on. There were a lot of characters to get to know and different points of view in the narration to adjust to, but I never really related to any of them. The children needed supervising, that was obvious, and the parents kept on blithely getting drunk, forming illicit relationships, or just not paying attention. I couldn't understand why no one was taking care of them, asking them questions, being more observant. It mystified me how the truth could go unnoticed for so long. I like suspenseful thrillers and I might have quit reading had I not agreed to write a review and also having a compulsion to finish every book I start. I wanted to like it more than I did and the vague ending left me a bit unsettled. The story of five clueless parents and Grace (the only likable parent), not clueless but working all the damn time because her husband was too busy being lazy and banging another woman. There’s just so much poor decision making and willful ignorance (and drinking) that it was hard to sympathize.

Listen, this is a fun read. We get various POVs with occasional breaks between fuller chapters of the kids thoughts. I'm not *quite* sure if I liked those - I think they either should've been elaborated on a little bit or just left out altogether. They didn't really lend a whole lot to my personal reading experience. There are also a few things that didn't seem to make sense... like that random raisin you find in a chocolate chip cookie.

First off--what is with the title? There is not one playground mentioned in this book, it has nothing to do with playgrounds. I'd call this a domestic thriller, set within a group of people who meet when they sign their children up for dyslexia tutoring (which is never really mentioned much except that it was a reason why they got together at first). The couples kind of become friends because their children become friends and everything goes from there. I saw where it was going from a mile away, but it was still a decent and readable thriller overall. I love how Ray Bradbury can make something as cheery and happy as a children playground the most depressing darkest pit in the world.Who said childhood was the best time of life? When in reality it was the most terrible, the most merciless era, the barbaric time when there were no police to protect you, only parents preoccupied with themselves and their taller world.” This was interesting, but once I realized where it was heading, there weren't really any surprises left. The Playground features three families that live in the surrounding areas of London. Eve and Eric have three children, Melissa and Paul have a teenage daughter, and Grace and Martin have two children. The three families are brought together because they all have a child who has dyslexia. Eve is a teacher and stay-at-home mom who has decided to start tutoring her oldest daughter and other dyslexic children. Some,” replied the boy on the playground. “Maybe this is the only one like this. Maybe it’s just how you look at it, Charlie. Things are what you want them to be.” Do you remember what it was like to be a kid? The fears of children are varied and this novelette by Ray Bradbury crystallizes a child and a parent’s fears in a tight, disturbing, trippy story that will send a shiver up your spine.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment