276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Cool!

£3.495£6.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

A thoughtfully written book in which Award winning author Michael Morpurgo crams a great deal of emotion into.

Chaotic, psychedelic, and dripping in hallucinogens, this is Thompson’s crowning work of gonzo madness. Centring around the exploits of journalist Raoul Duke and his attorney Dr Gonzo, things rapidly degenerate (including the integrity of the narrative) as the pair ditch their assignment to cover a motorbike race and lose themselves in a haze of acid, ether, cocaine and mescaline in Sin City. Another Michael Morpurgo book that will affect the average reader emotionally. It might be aimed at the 8-12 year old audience but it would take someone with a heart of stone not to feel something reading this. Mum and dad hardly say a word any more. I think they might be giving up on me. They just sit and wait, their silence and their sadness filling the air around me. Wolfe’s damning social and moral critique originally ran as a serial in Rolling Stone, before Wolfe revised it and released it as a novel. Working on the premise that your life can spiral out of control no matter how much money or influence you have, it finds millionaire trader Sherman McCoy unable to control events after a hit and run incident in the Bronx. Ignore the film, it’s awful. There are plenty of other plot generators and plot twist generators to provide more bursts of inspiration. Here are some of our favorite story generators on the Internet:Imagine this. You are lying in a hospital bed, in a coma, apparently dead to what is happening around you. But you experience it all the same, hear what is being said about and to you, and try in vain to communicate with your loved ones and the world outside. The fiction, nonfiction and poetry that shifted our perspectives, uncovered essential truths and encouraged us forward As the weeks pass by, Robbie senses that the comings and goings of visitors diminish. Even his favourite nurse, Tracey, who sings to him, appears to be giving up. Consistently cited as one of the most influential graphic novels ever written, Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons’ ground-breaking story of an alternate USA in which it won the Vietnam war and welcomed (and later shunned) a generation of masked vigilantes resonates as much today as it did in 1986. As, indeed, does the recurring anti-Reaganist mantra ‘who watches the watchmen?’. Comic fan or not, everyone needs to own this.

The awards that Franzen’s third novel The Corrections didn’t win, weren’t really worth winning. Even some of the ones it did win weren’t worth winning, an endorsement from the Oprah Winfrey book club, for example, which he dissed and resulted in a petulant shunning of him by the media mogul. Whatever, this story of family dysfunction is a modern masterpiece. Worst of all though, even Tracey seems to be losing heart. She doesn't sing like she used to, and she was crying when she came in a moment ago. Lets face it, Robbie, if Tracey thinks you're not going to make it, then things are not looking good, not good at all. The ‘laureate of American lowlife’, in Factotum Bukowski presented his alter-ego Henry Chinaksi, a shambling booze-hound meandering from one disastrous menial job to the next with an increasing level of disdain as he struggles to get himself published as a writer. Set in the seamy world of the 40s LA barfly, this is a grubby classic. A young American Jew travels to the Ukraine to try and find the woman who saved his grandfather’s life during the Nazi occupation. Bizarre, funny and touching, it marked its author Jonathan Safran Foer out as a smouldering talent. OK, if you want to be pedantic, Howl isn’t really a book, it’s a poem. However, in terms of provocative prose and scandalous storytelling, Howl can’t be bettered. From its oft-quoted opening line (‘I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness’) to its portrayal of radical jazz loving, drug-taking, homosexual communists running counter to the vows of the American Dream, Howl has long been a key beat generation text.Morpurgo is able to touch on issues such as separated parents, blame and grief in a very delicate way. This book is similar to David Almond's book 'Skellig' in the fact that it is hard to put down!

Vastly disturbing, Banks’ first novel caused a storm of controversy for the blank violence emitting from its troubled protagonist Frank Cauldhame, who describes a childhood growing up on the rugged north east coast of Scotland. The impending arrival of Frank’s brother Eric, who has escaped from an asylum, coupled with Franks bursts of mindless anger, create an unsettling gothic horror. This book is quite a sad one. It starts with a kid getting hit by a car while playing with his dog and going into a coma. But it has a sweet ending because when the dog comes to him he wakes up from the coma. His parents tried every thing to wake him up, they even got his favorite football player Zola in but Robbie still didn't wake up. We’ve got you covered. Head to the free resources below to discover the writing world beyond story generators:

This story touches on a number of issues such as grief, separation and blame. It is a very gripping story which encourages the reader to read on. I found that this story was particularly unique because of the issues covered and the title 'cool', usually books with themes of grief for children, in my experience tend to have a title which gives the reader a clue about the tale. This is another one of Morpurgo's books which teaches the lesson; do not judge a book by its cover. Films you can quote for cheap giggles down the pub; records (vinyl, natch) earn you kudos among a select coterie of like-minded obsessives; but nothing – absolutely nothing – says understated cool (always the coolest cool) like a well-thumbed copy of A Confederacy of Dunces. I sleep a lot, almost all the time now. I want to stay awake in my head. I know I must, or else I'll die. Got to keep my mind awake. Got to keep living. But the trouble is that sleep is warm and gentle and inviting, and when it takes me by the hand I just want to go…." The story is a narrative from Robbie: Of his experiences, his inner feelings, his imaginations about people who meet him every day, his hopes and sometimes feeling of hopelessness as he lies on the hospital bed, on life support, unable to express himself, yearning to get better someday. Have you ever read a book and still think about it weeks and even months later? That's how we felt after we finished Nagamatsu's How High We Go in the Dark. It's a series of interconnected short stories set in a dystopian – and at times fantastical – future. Although it's very much science-fiction, you'll find deeply human and emotional stories here.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment