276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Knife Edge: Book 2

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The two perspectives each had their own "feel" which made the characters distinctive when reading. It really showed how the characters thought in their own personal ways and because of how it felt different, it made them even more believable. But soon Callie is caught in a trap she can’t get out of – one which will have deadly consequences. Sephy Hadley - a Cross, supposedly powerful and privileged - has bound herself forever to her nought lover Callum McGregor's family.

This was not on the same level as ‘Noughts and Crosses’. The writing was good, but the story felt lost for me. It wasn’t the same. And while I get that we’re dealing with the aftermath of the conclusion of book one, I feel that this doesn’t do it justice. I found myself dragging myself through the book, when with the predecessor I was racing through the book, praying that it wouldn’t end.because this book is perfect! There was nothing I could fault and it's definitely the best book I've read in a long time. I know a lot of people say this isn't as good as the first, but I adored it and actually thought that it was maybe better because of the further development of the characters and the plot; I was hooked!

These are increasingly important books to be read by all – particularly in view of the current political climate and the ever more disturbing rise in the so-called ‘alt right’ / white supremacist groups in certain parts of the world. Callum’s brother Jude, also a member of the Liberation Militia blamed Sephy for Callum’s execution so in An Eye For An Eye broke into her flat to try to kill her. Compared to the first book, Noughts and Crosses, this one was just BORING! Not only that, but what’s up with sudden poetic, lyrical snippets that have been added? It’s airy-fairy nonsense. I highly doubt most readers read lyrics in fiction novels. These facts are the only things that are mine and real. So I don’t mind so much that I’m leaving it all behind. There’s nothing here worth holding onto.I read this book in one sitting and honestly, still don’t know whether I’m liking the series or not – my feelings are so conflicted in regard to several aspects. I reviewed Noughts & Crosses at the start of this year and I’ll link the review at the end of this post. And if you haven’t read the first book, please don’t read this review. It will be completely filled with spoilers from book one and book two in all honesty. It’s the only way to review this book properly. They've been friends since they were children, and they both know that's as far as it can ever go. Noughts and Crosses are fated to be bitter enemies - love is out of the question. I also think her newfound hatred for Callum played a part and stopped her from connecting with her baby. We witness just how damaging her hatred can be for those around her. I did like how she started to find herself. I think the first book we saw how just how wrapped up in Callum she was and consequently, it was hard to decipher who she was as a person. But away from her controlling family, Sephy started to discover herself. We witnessed her personal growth. I guess it’s why I felt so conflicted reading her narratives. I was happy for her but I was also extremely sad for her at the same time. I kept hoping that she sought the help that she needed.

Whilst we lost Callum as a protagonist, we gained Jude, Callum’s brother. We got to see his anger towards Crosses and Sephy for the death of his younger brother. Although, we know how volatile and angry Jude was from book one, here we got to see it up close and personal. I think we truly came to understand Jude when he fell in love with a Cross and became less angry. It’s almost ironic how Sephy and Jude almost switched places from book one to book two. Sephy was dwelling in her hatred for society, her family and Callum whilst Jude realised just how powerful love can be. I think Jude also realised just how much he relied on his hatred and anger to live. He didn’t know how to be who he was without it. I think I almost came to like Jude here. (Almost) I also found some minor points a bit irritating: perhaps because of the book's age-group audience, but things that seemed really obvious to me are spelled out, such as Sephy and her sister reiterating to each other that the baby is Callie Rose, Meggie's granddaughter - as if they wouldn't know that. There are a few places like that where there is unnecessary info dumping though fortunately not in big chunks, just sentences thrown in which seem totally unnecessary. First and foremost, I still stand by the fact that the political themes in this book are brilliant and well executed. The entire idea for the series is amazing and I love the dystopian aspect too. I think it’s a very thought-provoking and bold series for young adults, and is rally daring in the dark topics it puts forward. I love the idea of the books, the execution just falls short repeatedly which makes me sad. Everything about our lives, the style of clothes we were, even down to the food we eat, it’s all dictated by Cross aesthetic, by the way Crosses see the world.” She qualified in Computer Science and followed a successful career in computing, before becoming a writer at the age of 28. Her first published book was Not So Stupid! (1990), a book of short stories. Since then she has written many books and scripts, and her popularity has steadily grown. Her scripts for television include several episodes of Byker Grove, Whizziwig and Pig-Heart Boy, and she has also written original dramas for CITV and BBC Education. Her stage play, The Amazing Birthday, was performed in 2002.

Sephy is a Cross: she lives a life of privilege and power. But she's lonely, and burns with injustice at the world she sees around her. Loved the rainbow colour thing going on at the beginning of each section - this was a very clever idea which was seamlessly woven into the book with great intentions.

In this paragraph Jude talks about the beauty industry of this society and how even the underwear in shops is designed for Cross women and their naturally curvaceous figure. Or how Nought women get implants to make their lips fuller or spend longer in sunbeds to make themselves darker.She has been awarded numerous prizes for her work, including the Red House Children’s Book Award and the Fantastic Fiction Award. Malorie has also been shortlisted for the Carnegie Medal. In 2005 she was honoured with the Eleanor Farjeon Award in recognition of her contribution to children’s books, and in 2008 she received an OBE for her services to children’s literature. She has been described by The Times as ‘a national treasure’. The ‘Noughts & Crosses’ series provides us with an explicit flip and twist on both the history and current political and cultural demographic of British society – where racial politics is turned on its head and power structures are completely reversed. This sequel also introduced newspaper clippings before reach section which did not add to the story, but seemed to be purely for world-building in a world that we are already familiar with because we read the first book!

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment