276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Flying Scotsman [DVD] [1929]

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

White Snake • The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part • Isn't It Romantic • The Golden Glove • Nancy Drew and the Hidden Staircase • Shazam! • The Curse of La Llorona • The Wonderland • Detective Pikachu • The Sun Is Also a Star • Godzilla: King of the Monsters • Shaft • Annabelle Comes Home • The Kitchen • Blinded by the Light • The Informer • It Chapter Two • The Goldfinch • The Battle of Jangsari • Joker • Western Stars • Motherless Brooklyn • Doctor Sleep • My Zoe • The Good Liar • Richard Jewell • Just Mercy • When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit

Sir William McAlpine, pictured here in 2016, saved Flying Scotsman in 1973 by putting together a rescue plan and paying off creditors. Agatha • Boulevard Nights • Ashanti • Tilt • A Little Romance • Over the Edge • Beyond the Poseidon Adventure • The In-Laws • The Main Event • The Wanderers • The Frisco Kid • Life of Brian • Time After Time • The Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Movie • 10 • Jesus • The Great Santini • Promises in the Dark • Going in Style Moore Marriott, best known as Will Hay’s ancient foil in the railway classic Oh, Mr Porter! (1937) and other Hay comedies, plays Old Bob, a 30-year veteran driver of the express service (which started in 1862). The day before retiring, he shops his stoker Crow (Alec Hurley) for drinking on duty. His place is taken by jeering rookie footplateman Jim (24-year-old Ray Milland in his debut), who the night before Bob’s final run is rescued from a dancehall fracas by the driver’s daughter, Joan (Pauline Johnson), though neither knows the other’s identity; kisses ensue. That this refined beauty was sitting alone in what looks suspiciously like a clip joint adds unintended frisson. A Fever in the Blood • Gold of the Seven Saints • The Sins of Rachel Cade • Portrait of a Mobster • Parrish • Fanny • The Fabulous World of Jules Verne • The Steel Claw • Claudelle Inglish • Splendor in the Grass • The Mask • Susan Slade • A Majority of One • The Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone

Roughly Speaking • Objective, Burma! • Hotel Berlin • God Is My Co-Pilot • The Horn Blows at Midnight • Escape in the Desert • Pillow to Post • Conflict • The Corn Is Green • Christmas in Connecticut • Pride of the Marines • Rhapsody in Blue • Mildred Pierce • Confidential Agent • Danger Signal • Too Young to Know • Appointment in Tokyo • San Antonio Pauline Johnson was a leading British silent actress of her age, although appeared in few films after 1930. Moore Marriott was only 43 when he appeared in the film, but is already portrayed playing a retiring engine driver. This movie used the correct loco, 4472 Flying Scotsman as well as the train of the same name. I believe some of the stars did their own stunts, including walking down the side of the coaches when it was at speed. It was the first service to run non-stop over 100 miles and for a long time held the record as the world’s longest scheduled non-stop run from London to Newcastle, a distance of 268 ½ miles. During the period between the First and Second World Wars, the service became a byword for the luxury of rail travel.

While the plot is a bit thin and predictable, it is very well made, particularly the sequences on and of the train, the famous Flying Scotsman that runs from Edinburgh to London. Since the 1930s there have been several other claims to the title of the Flying Scotsman, predominantly associated with cycling. The Flying Scot series of bicycles were built in Glasgow from the late 1920s until 1982 by a firm founded in 1901 by David Rattray. Although most 'Scots' bicycles were men's frames, there were also women's versions called The Queen of Scots. The Couch • Samar House of Women • Rome Adventure • The Singer Not the Song • Lad, A Dog • Merrill's Marauders • The Music Man • Guns of Darkness • The Chapman Report • Gay Purr-ee • What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? • Gypsy • The Story of the Count of Monte Cristo • Malaga • Days of Wine and RosesA Night Full of Rain • An Enemy of the People • Crossed Swords • Straight Time • The Medusa Touch • It Lives Again • The Sea Gypsies • Big Wednesday • Capricorn One • The Swarm • Hooper • Girlfriends • Who Is Killing the Great Chefs of Europe? • Bloodbrothers • The Great Bank Hoax • Movie Movie • Superman • Every Which Way but Loose Operation Pacific • Storm Warning • Sugarfoot • The Enforcer • Lullaby of Broadway • Raton Pass • Lightning Strikes Twice • Only the Valiant • I Was a Communist for the FBI • Inside the Walls of Folsom Prison • Goodbye, My Fancy • Along the Great Divide • Strangers on a Train • Fort Worth • On Moonlight Bay • Force of Arms • Jim Thorpe – All-American • Captain Horatio Hornblower • A Streetcar Named Desire • Tomorrow Is Another Day • Painting the Clouds with Sunshine • Come Fill the Cup • The Tanks Are Coming • Close to My Heart • I'll See You in My Dreams • Starlift • Distant Drums

All of the stunts were filmed on the moving locomotive with the actors. Most dangerously, at one point actress Pauline Johnson walks along the edge of the moving train wearing high heeled shoes, transferring from the coaches to the locomotive while travelling at speed. [2] The Big Shakedown • Easy to Love • Hi, Nellie! • Massacre • Bedside • Dark Hazard • Mandalay • As the Earth Turns • Fashions of 1934 • I've Got Your Number • Heat Lightning • Jimmy the Gent • Journal of a Crime • Wonder Bar • Registered Nurse • Harold Teen • A Modern Hero • Upperworld • A Very Honorable Guy • Merry Wives of Reno • Smarty • Twenty Million Sweethearts • The Merry Frinks • Fog Over Frisco • The Key • He Was Her Man • Dr. Monica • The Circus Clown • Return of the Terror • The Personality Kid • Midnight Alibi • Side Streets • Here Comes the Navy • Friends of Mr. Sweeney • The Man with Two Faces • Housewife • The Dragon Murder Case • Dames • Desirable • British Agent • A Lost Lady • The Case of the Howling Dog • Big Hearted Herbert • Kansas City Princess • Madame Du Barry • 6 Day Bike Rider • I Sell Anything • Happiness Ahead • The Firebird • The St. Louis Kid • Gentlemen Are Born • I Am a Thief • Flirtation Walk • Babbitt • The Church Mouse • Murder in the Clouds • The Secret Bride • Sweet Adeline Köstebekgiller 2: Gölgenin Tılsımı • Her Şey Aşktan • How to Be Single • Osman Pazarlama • Midnight Special • Seytan Tüyü • Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice • Julieta • The Man Who Knew Infinity • Barbershop: The Next Cut • At the End of the Tunnel • Keanu • Terra Formars • The Nice Guys • Me Before You • The Conjuring 2 • Central Intelligence • The Legend of Tarzan • Lights Out • Suicide Squad • War Dogs • The Age of Shadows • Sully • SMS für Dich • Storks • The Girl with All the Gifts • Canım Kardeşim Benim • The Accountant • Within • May God Save Us • Rus'un Oyunu • Museum • Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them • Villaviciosa de al lado • Monster Strike The Movie • Collateral Beauty • Live by Night • Vier gegen die Bank

Cast & Crew

An interesting curio then, but perhaps not for everyone. The restoration premiered at the Glasgow Film Festival at the end of February and you can also catch the Flying Scotsman locomotive itself, also restored, at an upcoming exhibition at The National Railway Museum. You can find more information on that here and you can get hold of a copy of the film on DVD at LoveFilm here. There’s a clip below courtesy of Optimum Releasing.

Typically, railway poster art focused on images of the destination: sunny resorts and beaches, golf courses, quaint towns and rural scenes. The railway companies, however, were always keeping an eye on their competitors, and looking to create impact with their designs, which the new Art Deco style achieved. A Child Is Born • Brother Rat and a Baby • The Fighting 69th • British Intelligence • Calling Philo Vance •

In Our Time • Passage to Marseille • Shine On, Harvest Moon • Uncertain Glory • Between Two Worlds • Mr. Skeffington • Make Your Own Bed • The Mask of Dimitrios • The Adventures of Mark Twain • Janie • Crime by Night • Arsenic and Old Lace • The Last Ride • To Have and Have Not • The Very Thought of You • The Conspirators • The Doughgirls • Hollywood Canteen Dr. Crippen • Dead Ringer • The Incredible Mr. Limpet • FBI Code 98 • A Distant Trumpet • Robin and the 7 Hoods • Ensign Pulver • Kisses for My President • Richard Burton's Hamlet • Cheyenne Autumn • Youngblood Hawke • Dear Heart • My Fair Lady • Sex and the Single Girl House Party • Magic Mike's Last Dance • Mummies • Creed III • Shazam! Fury of the Gods • Air • Evil Dead Rise • The Flash • Barbie • Meg 2: The Trench • Blue Beetle • The Nun 2 • Wonka • Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom • The Color Purple The full-size locomotive is in the collections of the Science Museum Group, but many more have enjoyed ownership of their own Flying Scotsman locomotives thanks to the beautifully scaled models made by toy manufacturer Hornby, like this example in our collection.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment