276°
Posted 20 hours ago

D2P 1K1823509E Engine Bonnet Hood Catch Latch Lock Replacement For VW Golf V Mk5 Jetta Mk3

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

check if it's the bonnet catch (behind the VW badge) that isn't closing properly and holding the bonnet down. Most of our parts are supplied with a minimum 2 year warranty extending up to 4 years for selected brands. It’s best to release the tension on the release handle for the bonnet lock before you start the assembly.

VWBreakers is completely independent and not affiliated with or authorized by the mentioned entities. This is a common problem with Mk 5 Golf's and if it seizes up completely you can have real difficulty either getting your bonnet open, or closing it afterwards.

JustAnswer is not intended or designed for EMERGENCY questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Anyway, last week, bonnet wouldn't open, let alone close, no matter how hard I tugged the release or jiggled the bonnet. I ended up having to unscrew the unit that contains the catch, take it out then use a lot of WD40 to clean all the rubbish that had built up inside that was stopping it from closing over properly. Then to open once more I could pull on the cable using the claw of a hammer again and at the same time the other person can press down on the head of the closed clip (as that will simulate the pressing down on the bonnet if it was closed).

Remove the last Torx screw and the lock should now be free and the bonnet will release with the lock attached. The lead is secured along it's length to the bodywork in two places by two clips (one circled right). It's worth trying to lubricate it and open and close it a load of times but 99/100 it's been done before and the catech is f ked. I don't think the location is that bad for salt or dirt (the engine bay is very well sealed and "cosy" compared to many cars I've had thanks to the plastic shielding and undertray so I'll take a risk on it.However, the release springs seem stronger, so the bonnet really "pops" when you pull the release now!

The release cable appears to be fasten to the bodywork somewhere along its length and so should not pull out accidentally. Supposedly you can pop the front VW badge off the grille (rotate counter clockwise like a clock apparently) and pop the lock this way. First thing to say (and this is from retrospect, once I eventually got the catch off), it looks like, on my vehicle (Mk5 GT Tdi - 2004 model), there is an "emergency release" tag, sticking through the top slat of the grille, just on the driver's side of the VW badge. Then clean it up as best you can - hit the wd40 and spray it everywhere and reseat the cable unit into the lock unit with a couple of mini catches if its come away (as mine had). The parts department in the local VW garage weren't answering their phones so will have to try them again tomorrow.You should then get enough room to open the bonnet with the catch still attached to release it manually. If the item comes direct from a manufacturer, it may be delivered in non-retail packaging, such as a plain or unprinted box or plastic bag. The two T20 screws here and remove them from the car {yellow}, these are the screws just next to the headlights in this picture and then once they are removed from the car squeeze in the two plastic clips {red} can do one at a time and then remove the grill from the car.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment