276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Mermaid Singing

£4.495£8.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Despite being usually female, originally in Greek art, Sirens were depicted as both male and female, although the male Siren concept virtually became defunct later on. [1] Charmian and her husband, George Johnston, also a writer, were inspired by a BBC documentary they had seen on a scheme to relocate the unemployed of the island’s declining sponge diving industry, on which the island of Kalymnos was reliant, to Darwin, Australia to revitalise the pearl industry there. They departed for the island perhaps in search of escape, both dispirited by the city life they lived. Arriving at the island, in the story's opening lines a fellow passenger on the boat cries "Mother of God!" between vomits, exclaiming in response to the sight of the two small children the couple have in tow. This cry epitomises the energy and emotion of the island’s residents, and they are not afraid to voice it. This is a fantastically eerie yet relaxing soundscape, especially with the Himalayan Voices and Evil Charm in the mix. It feels like the perfect ambient audio for exploring a creepy, watery cave in a video game. Thank you, Dr. Pigeon, for your time and talents. In real-life Greek mythology, Sirens were depicted as half-women, half-bird creatures, but the concept of a Siren with a fishtail like all mermaids became popular in recent history. The finned folk of Eynhallow are described as having long fins acting as cloaks to shield their tails from view, and they have twinned their island home with Finfolkhaheen, a city beneath the waves where merfolk spend the winter. Does Eynhallow belong to humans or merkind? Tales say that Eynhallow never even used to be visible until it was won from the merfolk by magic.

This tale has a happy ending, for clearly Matthew Trewhella was alive and well and living under the sea in the court of king Llyr, but the church commissioned a carving of the mermaid to serve as a warning to villagers who might be tempted by the lovely voice and long hair of beautiful, strange young women from the sea. The Doom Bar Mermaid of Padstow

The Singing Mermaid of Zennor, Cornwall

Associated with fertility and water, Atartgatis reminded her followers to conserve fish (something we could learn from today). Her worshippers never ate the fish swimming the lake near her temple, and adorned their heads with jewels. The first mermaid was worshipped, but since then, mermaids have also been feared as creatures who will conjure storms, steal human babies and lure fisherfolk and sea travellers to their deaths. McDermid wrote The Mermaids Singing in response to themes of misogyny she saw appearing in detective fiction. According to McDermid,

One version of the folklore legend has it that a resident mermaid was so distraught at being maligned by locals that she dived into the pool and stayed there, hiding from humanity evermore. This indicates that she might have been quite friendly with humans previously, and sighted on a regular basis. In the fictional English city of Bradfield, men are being abducted and tortured to death using brutal medieval techniques. The bodies are then found in areas frequented by gay men and women. The police reluctantly recruit a criminal profiler, Dr. Tony Hill. He joins forces with Detective Inspector Carol Jordan, for whom he develops complicated romantic feelings. Dr. Tony Hill has problems of his own, including a mysterious woman named Angelica who frequently calls him for phone sex. As Tony becomes increasingly involved in the investigation, it becomes apparent that the killer is seeking Tony as the next victim. The killer is revealed to be the anonymous caller Angelica, a transgender woman who kills men that do not return her affections. When kidnapped, Tony figures out her weakness (her desire to be loved) and uses it to avoid being tortured and murdered. On reflection, they might have confessed to a naive attitude, but their act was brave. They didn't know what to expect, and the vivacity and colour of the culture and society they encountered is captured in an evocative, carefully observed narrative, often peppered with a wit and perspicacity that the reader feels privileged to share. The Mermaids Singing ( 1995) is a crime novel by Scottish author Val McDermid. [1] The first featuring her recurring protagonist, Dr. Tony Hill, [2] it was adapted into the pilot episode of ITV1's television series based on McDermid's work, Wire in the Blood, starring Robson Green and Hermione Norris.I was listening on default for a while, and then hit the keyboard shortcut for brown noise by mistake. It was like I was finally dragged underwater after fighting for a long time and I am unconscious, but at peace. Mermaids are known by countless names. In Scotland, freshwater mermaids are known as ceasg. In the Isle of Man, they go by the name ben-varrey. Mermaids who take human form on the land but become seals in the water are known as selkies, their seal fat perfectly suited to the cold waters of the Atlantic. Perhaps mermaid myths and names are so varied because merfolk are shape-shifting travellers, more drawn to humans than one might think. Here’s a lovely little show that makes a big splash. it thrills and charms, effortlessly transporting its audience from the depths of the ocean to dizzying high-wire feats in a circus big top’ This is the most wonderful and magical thing I have ever heard. It's great for concentrating on my work, thank you so much for this! Lea, Daniel; Schoene, Berthold, eds. (2022). Posting the Male: Masculinities in Post-war and Contemporary British Literature. BRILL. p.65. ISBN 9004456651.

This is amazing. It's eerie and peaceful at the same time. Like a mermaid calling a sailor into the deep with promises of relaxation and beauty. Yet, when he wakes from her trance he finds himself a captive of the sea forever. I have never been diagnosed with ADHD, but I truly feel like I do. This really helps me. Thanks myNoise This is unbelievable. Hats off to the people who made this - I absolutely love it. Completely magical, we could all use some of this in our lives! Absolutely magical. I love the way that the siren song is variable in sound; it fades in and out so you can appreciate just the sound of the water, enjoy it altogether, and get these really lovely siren songs by themselves too. It doesn't feel like an audio loop, it feels like each second is truly unique! McDermid, Val (29 October 2009). "Complaints about women writing misogynist crime fiction are a red herring". The Guardian . Retrieved 10 April 2023.

Explore our most popular collections

Mermaids Calling is amazing. The haunting sounds of the Siren combined with the ebb and flow of the water has an intoxicating effect on me. I could listen to this for hours. Well to be honest, I DO listen to this for hours. If I had to choose just one series for the rest of my life, this will be the one. Thank you, Stephane, for all the peaceful and blissful feelings that you give me. Whatever she was, wherever she came from, one mermaid in particular was treated vilely by the citizens of Conwy. She was caught in the nets of local fishermen, and taken onto shore. As they paraded her around town, she began to choke to death, unable to breathe the air on land for such a long time. She could breathe in the sea, but here on land, she was drowing. Everyone ignored her pleas to be returned to the sea so that she might live. On a final note, consider this: perhaps the real mermaid isn’t the one the folklore tales speak of, but the one looking out at the water, looking for a sign. With all those tales of interbreeding among finfolk and humans, perhaps it’s brine that runs through your veins, though you may not know it.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment