276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Ikoyi: A Journey Through Bold Heat with Recipes

£22.475£44.95Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Blitz the broth in a blender for 5 minutes until very smooth, adding some filtered water if necessary, then pass through a chinois. Vogue : I was surprised to hear you wrote a cookbook because Ikoyi’s dishes are quite elaborately prepared . What I’m trying to relate to the reader is that, yes, I had a privileged experience of eating amazing food as a kid because of my father’s Chinese background. Chan does a fine job of outlining how he and his Nigerian-born front of house counterpart Iré Hassan-Odukale came to launch Ikoyi (the bit about the pair’s early interactions with developers and property agents is particularly illuminating) and the story of the restaurant so far. Standout dishes: Smoked Jollof rice and crab custard; fried Landes chicken and chicken offal hot sauce.

Insert the nozzle of the smoker under the lid, smoke the rice, and leave to infuse for 1 minute before serving. With two Michelin stars, Ikoyi is a London restaurant known for building its menu on the flavors of sub-Saharan West Africa.He discusses developing (and eventually abandoning) the concept of a Nigerian restaurant with his childhood friend—and Ikoyi’s managing director and cofounder—Iré Hassan-Odukale (the restaurant is named for the neighborhood in Lagos where Hassan-Odukale grew up). Toast all the spices in a wide frying pan until fragrant, then blitz to a fine powder in a spice grinder. This debut cookbook tells the compelling story and journey of Chan and Ikoyi, with 80 recipes that Chan has carefully developed to encapsulate bold his signature style.

Born to a Canadian mother and Chinese father, Jeremy grew up between Hong Kong, Canada, and England, experiencing a diverse range of cuisines.After witnessing the smoking firewood under pots of jollof cooked in Lagos, I knew that the concept of burning must lie at the heart of our dish, too. I talk about outer space and death and these morbid, disturbing images in my head, which are part of the inspiration for the restaurant. Thankfully, Phaidon Press is emerging from their earlier offerings that were overloaded, country-specific recipe reliquaries; whereas now, Phaidon Press is focusing the knowledge and passion of a chef’s personal journey and craft. In this book, you feel the creative struggle that one must go through to do something truly special. Ikoyi, named as one of the World’s 50 Best Restaurants in 2022, is one of the most original, flavor-driven restaurants of its time.

If our guests were going to argue over the dish’s authenticity, at least they would be doing it over inarguably delicious spoonfuls of rice. This coupled with Ikoyi’s focus on often obscure spices means that most will have their work cut out obtaining the ingredients necessary to replicate his recipes.

I think of my food as pure expressions of flavor and passion and feeling, so the color and texture are reenacting and mimicking those feelings.

My intention was never to attempt to elevate any preexisting concept but instead to elaborate on an original recipe centered around the core ingredients of the dish: tomatoes, onions, peppers, chiles, spices, and a variety of meat, fish, or vegetables. If he claims to be cooking Cantonese cuisine, then yeah, there might be an issue because he’s claiming something he’s never experienced and doesn’t know anything about. The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with the prior written permission of Condé Nast. Ikoyi, named as one of the World's 50 Best Restaurants in 2022, is one of the most original, flavor-driven restaurants of its time. Against each of the Phaidon-published tome's 40 or so recipes are mini essays that range from 300 to over 1,000 words.

Though most Ikoyi dishes are born out of subjective and abstract inspirations, jollof rice is an existing culinary tradition—and a fiercely debated one, at that. The rice is then dried, rubbed by hand with oil, and cooled before we finish it off by roasting it in hot, aromatic beef fat and our wok hei paste. Partnered with Nigerian-born Iré Hassan-Odukale, who handles front-of-the house, chef Jeremy Chan draws on a wide range of culinary influences even as he keeps an eye on the restaurant’s African inspirations. The gorgeous, vibrantly-hued new book contains more than 80 recipes, exactly as they’re written in the restaurant’s kitchen, including his decadent take on the classic jollof rice (recipe below). Crispy, chewy, creamy, crunchy, smoky, spicy, sweet, salty, it’s the kind of food you want to eat when you’re hungover or sitting in front of the TV with a beer.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment