276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Decagon House Murders: Yukito Ayatsuji (Pushkin Vertigo)

£4.995£9.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

First published in 1987, Ayatsuji’s brilliant and richly atmospheric puzzle will appeal to fans of golden age whodunits. Six months after the bodies of architect Nakamura Seiji, his wife, and two servants were found in the burnt remains of a house on isolated Tsunojima, a small island off the coast of Japan, seven members of the Kyoto University Mystery Club decide to visit Tsunojima. They are to reside for a week in the bizarrely constructed Decagon House, where everything seems to have 10 sides and where they soon learn that a killer is targeting them. The tension in this sophisticated homage to Agatha Christie’s And Then There Were None is expertly heightened by a parallel plot set on the mainland, where two other members of the Kyoto society have received threatening letters, ostensibly from the dead Seiji. As in the best fair-play mysteries, every word counts, leading up to a jaw-dropping but logical reveal. (July) Publishers Weekly Whilst in the mainland, the mystery of the anonymous sender from the name of a dead man provoked some questions. Are they all just a big coincidence or is it the start of a heinous plan of a crime well-planned? Want to take our relationship to the next level? Become a patron today to gain access to exclusive perks, such as: The Decagon House Murders, based on Yukito Ayatsuji's novel of the same name and illustrated by Hiro Kiyohara, was serialized in Kodansha's seinen manga magazine Monthly Afternoon from August 24, 2019, [3] to April 25, 2022. [4] [5] Kodansha collected its chapters in five individual tankōbon volumes, released from November 22, 2019, [6] to May 23, 2022. [7] The women in this book unfortunately suffer from the classic written-by-a-male-author syndrome. There is the extroverted pretty and the dowdy introvert…funnily enough one of the female characters is the first one to ‘lose it’, to the point of having to be sedated and referred to as hysterical. The two share one of the most hilarious ‘bonding’ moments, where they discuss their shared love for hand cream (i believe it was hand-cream) which is just..that is what us girls do when left on our own. A very relatable moment indeed.

A group of students arrive on a deserted island, which was the scene of a grisly murder one-year prior. .Obviously nothing goes wrong and they spend a relaxing week long vacation, talking about books they like and taking in the sun… oh, wait, no, this a mystery novel. Yeah, scratch that… bad things happen. This is definitely an interesting and strange mystery that will keep you hooked. The characters are remarkable, the story is intriguing, and I loved reading about how things pan out. And how could anyone who was not a god predict the future, shaped as it was by human psychology, human behaviour and pure chance? He knew his plan was far from perfect. It was best described as shoddy rather than meticulous. But he’d never intended to plan everything out in perfect detail in the first place.

She follows the monk, and just watches him info dump and piece everything together for the most part. The members of the mystery club are excited to stay at the decagon house, uncover clues and discuss theories to determine what really happened.

Are you aware of the physical space around you? Asks the author, Yukito Ayatsuji. He will build a novel based around concepts of space, of physical limitations and barriers. Of open areas concealing closed areas - the mental ones as well. He will describe these spaces regularly and with careful precision. The bizarre book begins when the members of the mystery club of a university decide to stay on an uninhabited island. Around 20 years ago, Nakamura Seishi built a Blue mansion and Decagon House, which, as the name suggests, is shaped like a decagon. I lived for years in Japan and this experience made my reading all the more delightful. The translation sounds exactly like the Japanese, to the point where many times I could know for certain what the Japanese word or phrase had originally been. It felt as if the translator is not a native English speaker, or at least the translator never stepped out of literal translation, and the unusual nature of the language in the novel gave it a charged, unexpected feeling as I read. Here are the North American anime, manga, and light novel releases for October. Week 1: October 5 - 11 Anime Releases C³ [incl. Rinkan Gakkou Confusion!] (C&sup... read more But about a year ago, the Blue Mansion burned down, killing all the family members. However, the dead people were found to have sedatives, so they are believed to be murdered.

Thorough as always Diana in this review. I’ve never heard of this book and while the premise might be admirable, the homage to And Then There Were None, overall it sounds a bit clunky and unappealing outside of that. The novel began with a mood that was very similar to And then There Were None, which is one of my favourite books of all time. A group of pals from university's mystery club agreed to investigate the case on a deserted island? Solve the situation? That occurred six months ago. However, everything began to go wrong, and they began to be slain. A parallel plot follows two of their fellow mystery club members as they attempt to uncover the mystery of "letters by dead man" along with a Mr. Shimada.

This one's like a 3.7 popped up to a 4 by the ending. Speaking of which, crikey! While not the best Japanese crime novel I've ever read, had I been eating something when the big reveal of this story came along, I probably would have choked because of the huge gasp that involuntarily came out of me. As soon as that cleared, the first words out of my mouth were "holy sh*t." I don't have that reaction very often; even though there have been many times I've been truly surprised at the unmasking of the who, this one absolutely takes the cake.The earlier deaths loom as a huge shadow over present-day events, but for quite a while The Decagon House Murders proceeds with only hints of menace -- the notes like the one Kawaminami received, or then, on the island, plates arranged suggesting there would be five victims among those present (along with a 'Detective' -- and, ominously, a 'Murderer').

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment