276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Incredible Journey

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

urn:oclc:873062222 Republisher_date 20120906002326 Republisher_operator [email protected];[email protected] Scandate 20120904104815 Scanner scribe14.shenzhen.archive.org Scanningcenter shenzhen Source This would be a tiresome journey under the best of circumstances, but they left their home with no way of knowing the extent their lives would be tested along the way. There are many treacherous nights spent in the forest, but also some generosity shown them by the Objibwe they meet along the way. Fans of Old Yeller, Where the Red Fern Grows, and Shiloh will love this timeless classic about two dogs and a cat that embark on a journey to return to their owner and inspired the movie Homeward Bound. Burnford describes these animals with fondness. They aren't judgmental. They crave your attention and companionship. They can sense when you are feeling lonely. They can even protect you if need be. They also seem to sense that their family extends beyond just the humans, but one another. We see this in the way the animals feed each other and provide warmth at night. It's the cat whose perhaps the most impressive of the bunch. He scares off a full-grown bear, and at another point he must outwit a much more terrifying hunter than himself. The dogs have their own adventures as well, but excel the most when it comes to begging food off of the humans they come across on their journey. And who knows, if there's one thing I've retained from the children's books of my heart, between wishes and tesseracts and the assistance of talking animals, anything is possible.

Three beloved family pets – a young Labrador, an aged bull terrier, and a Siamese cat – head home across 300 miles of wooded and mostly uninhabited territory in Ontario, Canada. A scene with the kids playing Nintendo when Bob realizes he's been invited to a welcome BBQ on the same day they were supposed to go to Kate's to visit Shadow, Chance, and Sassy.

Did we miss something on diversity?

During this process, I discovered that several of my beloved books had sequels or in some cases multiple further adventures, and then seeing A Wrinkle in Time getting the big-screen treatment reminded me that I'd only ever read the original trilogy, the "other" two books in the Time Quintet having been published after a long pause while I was off looking at other things. So, obviously, I'm on a new booky quest to read all of these books I missed out on as a child, starting with the L'Engles, but this has started my brain tip-tapping down memory lane thinking about other favorite books - worlds and characters I would like to revisit. A scene where Quentin is playing the saxophone during the evening and then Sassy tying up Quentin's goat when he left his cabin. This book is worth all the tears. Burnford tells a wonderful fictional tale using three of her real life pets as the actors. The portrayals are never sentimental & cloying - if a reader can't deal with the reality of what starving animals will have to do to survive, this isn't the right book for them. (I do wonder if the version I read as a child had been censored. I was a kid who like the world best if I was looking at it through rose tinted glasses!) Luath, the cautious navigator, the young and gentle Labrador retriever, with a red-gold coat and a broad, noble head, rather suspicious of humans. Instinct tells them that the way home lies to the west and together the three house pets face hunger, the natural elements, and wild forest animals as they make their way home to the family they love.

I have read The Incredible Journey with much enjoyment. Obviously the author has a great knowledge of animals and a great love for them."—Joy Adamson, author of Born Free This is a wonderful tale of adventure, friendship, loyalty, teamwork, and kindness. The animals face considerable danger, fight bravely, work together to survive, are fortunate to find a few kind people to help them along, are sometimes separated, but continue with a sense of purpose. A Canadian family in Ontario named Hunter has decided to go on a trip to England so that the patriarch, James, can accept a temporary position. While away, the three beloved pets of the family are left in the care of a close family friend named John Longridge. The pets are Bodger, an aging bull terrier, Bodger's boon companion Tao, a Siamese cat, and the latest addition to the menagerie, Luath, a golden Labrador. Longridge decides to go on a two-day hunting trip by canoe and arrange for his neighbors, the Oakes, to care for the pets while away. Made in 1963, this heartfelt Disney movie remains a joyous celebration of friendship and courage played through the eyes of a cat and two dogs. This is a movie that transports you to a more innocent time, championing the importance of friendship and looking out for one another. With CGI a decade away from first being seen in a movie, The Incredible Journey is impressively choreographed. The action among the animals often resembles a nature documentary rather than a family movie.My precious cat has been away three months. Sheila's details about cats doing well in a forest, bolstered me. Balm to my soul, her emphatic assertions that cats travel unseen and unheard. The reaction of a serviceman, without knowing our boy left voluntarily, was crass. First: don't disrespect anyone who is optimistic about their son. Secondly: we say “F” him. Bodger, the hero, the old bull terrier with a sense of humour. Age was against him, but he was bred to fight and endure. The Incredible Journey offers wisdom and assurance for our own life journeys. When you accept a challenge against staggering odds and achieve success early on, it's easy to start believing the task isn't so hard, that ultimately your triumph is a foregone conclusion. This leads to carelessness, a sure path to destruction. Luath falls into that trap when he isn't cautious with the porcupine; the quills that pierce his face become a reminder that complacency is a death sentence in the Canadian wilderness. A grievous wound suffered because you took success for granted might never go away, and could derail your future. Never assume a happy ending is guaranteed, or you could wind up with a literal or metaphorical face full of quills that add great hardship to your journey. Tao's interlude with Helvi also exudes meaning; the girl and the cat need each other for a time, but a life together is not meant to be. Tao loves Elizabeth Hunter and has gone to astounding lengths to be with her; when the Siamese recovers enough to resume his odyssey, he leaves immediately, and Helvi doesn't intervene despite her heartbreak. Sometimes when we pass a length of time with a dear friend on life's trail, the crucial moment is recognizing when we should part ways so the relationship remains a positive memory. Losing a friend isn't easy, but doing so with grace is the best way to honor what you had.

The Incredible Journey (1961), by Scottish author Sheila Burnford, is a children's book first published by Hodder & Stoughton, which tells the story of three pets as they travel 300 miles (480km) through the Canadian wilderness searching for their beloved masters. It depicts the suffering and stress of an arduous journey, together with the unwavering loyalty and courage of the three animals. The story is set in the northwestern part of Ontario, which has many lakes, rivers, and widely dispersed small farms and towns. An inquisitive Labrador retriever, friendly bull terrier, and courageous Siamese cat set out through the Canadian wilderness to find their owner in this truly “incredible” adventure. The story is still wonderful, It is so easy to visualize these three characters as I have had the pleasure of dealing individually with all three breeds and Bumford nails their personalities and traits in compelling fashion. Burnford based the fictional story on the animals she and her husband owned while living in Canada: a Bull Terrier brought from England; a Siamese cat, whose mutual relationship with the terrier she described as "closer than any other cat-and-dog relationship I had ever seen"; and a young Labrador Retriever, who also developed a close relationship with the older dog. [2] Plot [ edit ] Luath: Luath is a young Labrador Retriever. His fur is golden red, his eyes are brown, and he is strongly built. Of the Hunters' three pets, he is the most recent addition. He is also the most determined to push forward and reach home and the Hunters. Luath usually walks on Bodger's left side.

Develop

Sheila could be fanciful with grating, incongruous things, like calling a “shrill” whistle “sweet”. No, it isn't! The end milked drama. If two pets arrive, you search or wait, because the third is on his way too! You would not give up on Bodger, with miracles in front of you. Lastly, when did this occur? Who was the author to them? Four stars appreciate everything else about this special novel. Have no doubt that I savour hearing about pets coming home. I was reluctant about this, in a bag of books borrowed from Mom. It cheered me up. Lying awake in the dark that night,unable to sleep, he thought he would have given anything to feel the heavy thud on the bed that used to announce the old dog's arrival. How extremely unloving and intolerant he had felt so often , waking in the middle of the night to the relentless shoving and pushing of his undesirable and selfish bedfellow. An incredible book! A beautiful story so moving that it stays in the mind constantly. It is a gem to be treasured."— The St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment