276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Dancing with Bees: A Journey Back to Nature THE SUNDAY TIMES BEST NATURE WRITING BOOKS 2020

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

A solitary Red Mason bee, working all alone, can pollinate as many flowers in an apple orchard as over one hundred honeybees. (Those honeybees being an imported, ‘managed’ species not originally native to the location). Dancing with Bees is an antidote to the reality of modern life that’s spent nose down in our smartphones while the wondrous stuff—nature—goes on all around us. Brigit Strawbridge Howard chronicles her own journey of reconnecting with the natural world with heartfelt eloquence. Her descriptions of the creatures, plants, and landscapes that populate her journey are made with the unabashed joy of someone for whom a veil has been lifted, revealing a world to be cherished but also in great need of our protection.” —Matthew Wilson, garden designer; author; panelist, BBC Radio 4’s Gardeners’ Question Time Howard has a wonderful way of truly conveying the charm and magic of the natural word. As an enthusiast, and not an expert, Howard's love and passion for bees and nature comes pouring through. I frequently found myself sharing in her wonder.

Finally I must mention the clever heath potter wasp which creates a small clay pot and attaches it to the stem of Heather. The female fills it with food for her future young and lays a single egg inside before sealing the jar and then moves on to make another; it was just amazing to read about. Dancing with Bees is a passionate hymn to nature, a joyful celebration not just of bees, but of the power of paying attention. Strawbridge Howard’s rediscovery of the natural world is infused with a sense of wonder both irresistible and infectious. And the promise of this beautiful book is that if we take the trouble to notice our natural surroundings, we too can find a way to reconnect not just to nature, but to a deeper sense of ourselves.” —Caroline Lucas, MP, former Green Party Leader I met Brigit at a Triodos conference in Bristol over a decade ago when this book was first brewing, and I have followed her journey with interest ever since.The book starts strongly, reading as part memoir, part nature documentary as Howard describes her major life events coupled with descriptions and facts about the various bee species she encounters in her native England. I enjoyed these early chapters, as I was engrossed in learning of bees what I, like the author, knew very little about previously. Howard takes a strong conservationist stance, preaching education and a reintroduction to nature as the main ways to stop the species and planetary rot. It's a timely message, and one that she isn't afraid to repeat throughout the book. Aber auch die fortschreitende Umweltzerstörung, vor allem durch Bebauung, und die unsäglichen "Steingärten" machen es Bienen schwer zu überleben. Nicht nur, weil sie für Nahrung für sich und das Volk immer weiter fliegen müssen und immer weniger abbekommen, auch der Nestbau an sich wird dadurch erschwert. Ob es die riesige Bienenwabe ist, die niemand im Dach oder der Garage haben will, oder es die nicht vorhandenen Wiesen sind, in denen keine kleinen Bienennester an Grasstängeln hängen, die aus Tonschlamm gebastelt werden - denn schlammige Pfützen möchte man ja auch nicht haben. Und wo es keine passenden Böden mehr gibt, können Hummeln auch keine Erdnester mehr graben. Durch die Klimaerwärmung wachen zudem viele Hummeln und Bienen verfrüht aus ihrem Winterschlaf auf, finden zu wenig Nahrung und verhungern, oder gehen zu Grunde, weil dann eben doch nochmal ein paar kalte Tage kommen. Another strong theme of the book is just how much influence these modest insects have on the natural world and, by extension, our own lives. It is only by watching bees and other insects visiting flower after flower, hour after hour, day after day, that you realise the mind-boggling enormity of the task of pollinating the flowers, trees and crops around us. Of course I ‘knew’ they did this, but somehow reading a detailed account of exactly how they did this revealed another stratum of nature which I too had ignored.

Written by Brigit Strawbridge Howard, this is her wildlife journey with British bees. I was very surprised to learn that there are ‘at least twenty thousand different species of bee’ on this planet. Of those only 9 are honey bees and 250 are bumblebees, the rest belong roughly to two other groups, sting-less bees and solitary bees, but all are important pollinators.Brigit Strawbridge Howard is an excellent pollinator of information. Dancing with Bees is a book teeming with love: for bees but also for the natural world as a whole and, by extension, for life itself. Everyone who cares about the future of our planet should read it.” —Tom Cox, author of 21st-Century Yokel We are handed a lens—light, bright, beautiful things come into focus. Brigit’s flare for observation and description, passion for knowledge, and ease with communication involve us in adventuring through the looking glass to explore with her the intimate life of wild bees. Gently, this timely book reminds us that nature is in trouble and that we must all join the dance.” —Sue Clifford and Angela King, founding directors, Common Ground Dancing with Bees is an antidote to the reality of modern life that's spent nose down in our smartphones while the wondrous stuff – nature – goes on all around us. Brigit Strawbridge Howard chronicles her own journey of reconnecting with the natural world with heartfelt eloquence. Her descriptions of the creatures, plants, and landscapes that populate her journey are made with the unabashed joy of someone for whom a veil has been lifted, revealing a world to be cherished but also in great need of our protection." A] fascinating and wide-ranging exploration of nature. . .This satisfying memoir of a woman’s reawakening to the importance of nature in her life will appeal to fans of natural history memoirs, bees, the natural world, or ecology."

We are handed a lens – light, bright, beautiful things come into focus. Brigit's flare for observation and description, passion for knowledge, and ease with communication involve us in adventuring through the looking glass to explore with her the intimate life of wild bees. Gently, this timely book reminds us that nature is in trouble and that we must all join the dance." Dancing with Bees is one of the most important and accessible and entertaining books I've ever read. Brigit has poured meticulous detail and research into her book, which has left me with even more respect for our precious bees than I ever thought possible. What's more, it's a touching, sensitive account of what makes us human and how we connect to the natural world. Everyone should read it." Whilst they are in good condition, peatlands outperform any other ecosystem as carbon sinks. Of the entire world’s surface, only 3 percent is peatland, but this meager 3 percent stores at least twice as much carbon stored by all the forests standing on the planet.

You may also like…

As a naturalist I found the material interesting — certainly with its human touch more engaging than the dry scientific papers I try to keep up with. My fear though, is that the level of detail will be a limiting factor in attracting readership. Sales may be enough for the publisher, but I don't see that many delving into the contents. Ultimately I think I went into this book expecting more bee facts and more introspection on our relationship with nature. I think this is overall a relaxing and quaint book that fills a niche. It’s taken me ages to read this book, not because It’s an arduous read or I’m a slow reader, but because I’ve been poring over the words and descriptions, re-reading sections, immersing myself. Dancing with Bees written by naturalist and wild life gardener, Brigit Strawbridge Howard, is a beautiful book with enchanting watercolour illustrations throughout by John Walters. And so we can learn much about bees as bee lovers when we read this book as well as a wealth of information about other pollinators, wildlife and wild plants which all contribute to the world of bees and demonstrate the incredible connectedness in nature and how different species support and compliment each other. There are many wonderful observations and stories which you can glean from the enchanting chapter headings such as Bees Behaving Badly, The Cabin by the Stream, To Bee or not to Bee, In Praise of Trees, Time for Tea and Cotton Weavers.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment