276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Book of Lost and Found: Sweeping, captivating, perfect summer reading

£5.495£10.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

another entry from the currently popular dual story-line past/present (here the past is the 1920's-1940's, present is 1986), family secrets with dramatic/tragic love stories in the past reverberating to present and being investigated when tragedy strikes here too etc etc The picture was painted in 1928 by an up-and-coming artist named Tom, now an elderly man, living on the island of Corsica and Kate goes to visit him to find out more about the woman he painted. Tom reveals his side of a bitter-sweet love story that started in Hertfordshire and ended in Paris during the Second World War. Kate Darling's enigmatic mother — a once-famous ballerina — has passed away, leaving Kate bereft. When her grandmother falls ill and bequeaths to Kate a small portrait of a woman who bears a striking resemblance to Kate's mother, Kate uncovers a mystery that may upend everything she thought she knew. This actually would be a good read for 'Grandparents Day.' The way the characters dealt with, thought through, and talked through loss was just beautiful. So real. There's love and longing for your lost loved ones, but also some guilt and some opportunity to understand them even better.

Lost And Found - Teaching Ideas Lost And Found - Teaching Ideas

We have also included a cloze style activity and your class must add in the words or pictures to complete the sentences from the story.This book covers many things - love lost, grief, separation, and family secrets. An OK read for me, just never truly hooked me. I started it Apr 29 figuring I'd probably finish it the week leading up to Mother's Day. I felt from the description it would be a good 'themed' read due to the 'mother' story line. Well...I finished it May 1. Ooops! I just couldn't put it down. So what makes a book worthy of 5 stars? For fiction, it has to be one that I couldn't put down at for at least a large chunk of it. Since I can rarely finish a book in one day even if I want to, if I end up dreaming about the book that's also a sign of 5 stars. Historical fiction has to have a significant anchor in the history it's drawing from AND a great story that is both timeless and is tied to the time described simultaneously. Jedna od tema je okupacija Pariza od strane nacista za vrijeme II svj.rata. Pravljenje pamfleta kao vid pružanja otpora vidu letaka i buđenja svijesti o okupatoru kod običnih ljudi. I ta tema je vjerodostojno obrađena. This was a beautiful story of friendships, family, and love that took place over two time periods. On audio, it was sometimes confusing to remember who was speaking and in what time period. This can be contributed to having only one (lovely) narrator and/or scattered-brain on audio. 😉

The Library of Lost and Found by Phaedra Patrick | Goodreads The Library of Lost and Found by Phaedra Patrick | Goodreads

Your class must add in the adjectives to complete the passage. You can choose whether to use the resource with the word bank or without.After reading the whole book of Lost and Found by Oliver Jeffers, your class will answer the questions linked to the book.

Lost and Found Activities and Comprehension Questions Lost and Found Activities and Comprehension Questions

This is one of those books where you simply can't tell if it is fiction or not, it is well written. Read this book if 'cozy' novels are not sufficient for you and you enjoy fiction but need it to be a superb story. This book is very grounded in the tragedy of life but really does a great job of making you feel the sliver linings of the dark clouds. Other themes of the book that may interest someone would be mothers, daughters, grandparents, family that is 'chosen' but not family by blood, art, dance, photography, Italy, London, Paris, WWII. THE BOOK OF LOST AND FOUND is about a young woman's quest to discover the story behind a portrait done 50 years ago, and one that her grandmother kept hidden for many years. The "present" (Kate's story) was set in the 1980s, while the young artist's love story was set in the 1930s. Who is the mysterious woman in the portrait who looks so much like Kate's mother?EXCERPT: She hangs in the National Portrait Gallery now. Her smile has not faltered through the years, and her hair still falls just above her jaw, as sleek as cat's fur. She sits awkwardly: the pose of a moment held for eternity. Her eyes squint slightly, shielded from an invisible sun by her hand. The year is 1986 and Kate Darling has recently lost her mother June a world class ballerina in a tragic accident. Kate is struggling with her grief for the woman who she considered her best friend as well as her mother and she seeks solace in her mother’s saviour, Evie. Following one of their frequent meetings it becomes clear that Evie has been keeping a secret for many years and gives Kate a painting that had been sent to June. Kate senses a mystery and as a means of distraction from her unfulfilling life follows its lead. In a good dual-timeline book, the past is at the heart of the tale whilst the present day acts in a secondary manner weaving in and around it. Lijepa životna priča o neostvarenoj ljubavi koja je trajala preko 50 godina, prkoseći predrasudama, klasama i ratu. I listened to the audiobook of The Book of Lost and Found which was superbly narrated by Fiona Hardingham.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment