276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Ballantines Finest Blended Scotch Whisky, 70 cl

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Glenmorangie Signet, first released in 2008, is the first single malt whisky to use high roast chocolate malt barley with a blend of Glenmorangie’s rarest whiskies matured in bespoke casks. A perfect example of this combined flavor profile comes in the form of its 12 Year Bowmore’s Single Malt Scotch. Today, I will be tasting two incarnations of a blended scotch whisky to which I have no sentimental attachment and which remains widely available today. Complex and smooth, it’s our favorite Irish whiskey if you’re looking to tick all the boxes at once. I think we owe it to the artists who made the old whisky that’s still around in the way they intended – by drinking it.

Whisky In The World: The Whisky Brands To Drink (2023) 15 Best Whisky In The World: The Whisky Brands To Drink (2023)

This is one of the first Japanese single malts that successfully managed to break into the British market, at the heart of traditional Scotch whisky. The brand dates back to 1824, making it one of the most trusted whisky distillers in the world, too. I have just used a 1970’s 43% Ballantines in this months Whisky tasting and it also went down very well. On its own its ok, but I like to have a smokier scotch when I’m drinking neat (like the Johnny Walker Black, or better). Expect a surprisingly light and lively body for a whisky of this age, with subtle sweetness and fruity notes of dried figs to begin, quickly followed by peppery spices.

When I was a boy…” However, as I’m fond of noting in this space, the prism of reminiscence distorts our perspective and makes us unreliable narrators. Your review intrigues me, but I might just let it slumber in back of the cabinet for awhile longer… it’s waited this long, what’s the rush?

Ballantine’s Products – Ballantine’s

The 12 Year is a first-class malt with tropical fruit flavors and provides an almost refreshing nose.The glass is tinted a very deep burgundy color, meaning there’s almost no way you can see how much liquid is in the bottle — much less the color of that liquid. Peat: When used in a whisky distillery, peat can be the difference between a light sip and a smoky drink. There’s a faux wax seal at the bottom, and at the top, an image of the heraldic arms that were granted to the company in 1938. It’s a brand with an edge and personality that comes out in everything from its fierce bottle designs to the equally sharp taste found inside. Alongside the best whisky brands that have been pleasing lovers of the spirit for years comes a new influx of distilleries making subtle differences to switch things up.

Ballantine’s GB Products – Ballantine’s GB

Freshly-mowed Kentucky bluegrass lawn, more Daiquiri Ice, and the unsalted meaty-nuttiness of cashews. Expect a combination of licorice and sweeter notes with a burnt, peaty, and almost salty aftertaste. I hesitate to use the descriptor “salty” once more, but that’s what comes through most on both the nose and the palate. If you’re interested in exploring further the world of Japanese whisky, take a look at our review of Suntory Whisky Toki too, it’s another exceptional option to put on your list.It showcases the brand’s skills and cares in successfully maturing whiskies over such a long period of time to develop real character and richness. Up against my 15 year old Oban the old blended began to fade, mostly in terms of the richness of the flavors. We’re continuing our journey into the popular whisky of the mid-20th century, and along the way we’ve found that some brands have tried to modernize their branding and image, appealing to the latest generation of drinkers.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment