276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Stay Where You Are And Then Leave

£3.995£7.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

a b Flood, Alison (7 January 2020). "The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas author defends work from criticism by Auschwitz memorial". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077 . Retrieved 27 February 2020.

Then, while shining shoes at King's Cross Station, Alfie unexpectedly sees his father's name - on a sheaf of papers belonging to a military doctor. Bewildered and confused, Alfie realises his father is in a hospital close by - a hospital treating soldiers with an unusual condition. Alfie is determined to rescue his father from this strange, unnerving place. Boyne is gay, and has spoken about the difficulties he encountered growing up gay in Catholic Ireland. [7] [8] [9] He has spoken of suffering abuse in Terenure College as a student there. [10] When I realized that this book was written by the same author of "The Boy in the Striped Pajamas", I knew that I was in for a treat. I was definitely not let down.

The atmospherical writing style certainly makes me want to discover more of this well known author whose work I'd never read before. I think this is an important book, especially this year for the 100th anniversary of the start of the First World War, and if you are looking for a book to find out a bit more about the war and the people who had to live through it, then I strongly recommend this one. There are plenty of ways to help the war effort. I'm not sure that killing people is the most productive." (92)

This book looks at these, and other issues that affected people thrown into being at war, economically, physically, mentally, and morally, through the eyes of a child, a young boy who stole my heart as I read about his bravery and determination, and his quest to try to set things right. Stay Where You Are and Then Leave is a novel with one of the youngest narrators I've read. As I said in my review of Picture Me Gone, it is fascinating to see the world through the eyes of a child. Stay Where You Are and Then Leave begins with Alfie living a relatively calm and normal life, where instead of being preoccupied by the war, his family is his whole world. Alfie perceives the adults in his family and close-knit community to be ancient: old men, who are constantly exhausted and experience poor eyesight, even though they are in their early 20s and 30s, and he struggles to imagine what it must be like to be 21 years old. Just four years on, Alfie understands the world a little better – unfortunately too well, for such a young boy. Alfie knows that his mother is hiding letters from Georgie in her bedroom, so he sneaks in to read them, and is often confused by what he finds. Until one day the letters stop. Alfie is left wondering what has happened to his father. Margie reveals that he is part of a top-secret government mission, but Alfie believes that his mother just won't face the reality of his father's death. But is he really dead? The day the First World War broke out, Alfie Summerfield’s father promised he wouldn’t go away to fight – but he broke that promise the following day. Four years later, Alfie doesn’t know where his father might be, other than that he’s away on a special, secret mission.

In 2012, I was awarded the Hennessy Literary ‘Hall of Fame’ Award for my body of work. I’ve also won 4 Irish Book Awards, and many international literary awards, including the Que Leer Award for Novel of the Year in Spain and the Gustav Heinemann Peace Prize in Germany. In 2015, I was awarded an Honorary Doctorate of Letters from the University of East Anglia. A lot more happy things could have happened if they just told each other the truth. His friendship with his best friend was all and good, but there were no development there at all. I liked the little details like the stories that he would listen to while he would shine his customer's shoes. Even having the Prime Minister there and not realizing it was him.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment