276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Compass Box Orchard House Blended Malt Scotch Whisky, 70cl | Fruity & Fragrant | 46%

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I didn’t start this business to make myself a lot of money. I started this business because I love Scotch whisky, and I see a way of bringing Scotch whisky to the world that most other people don’t see. Caelum Capital will give us the foundation to focus on what we’re really good at,” Glaser explains. Range behaviour: Compass Box’s line-up In Scotland, a lot of people said, ‘hey, you know what, our national drink is not doing very well. We’ll take anybody, even an American who’s trying to create something different with a sincere, unique approach to Scotch whisky, and integrity in terms of quality,” Glaser notes. This cookie is set by Rubicon Project to control synchronization of user identification and exchange of user data between various ad services. The self‐confessed “wine geek and beer home brewer” was not a Scotch whisky drinker at the time – but after being sent to Scotland, Glaser was soon enamoured with the ‘water of life’.

Whiskybase B.V. is the Dutch private limited liability company, having its statutory seat in Rotterdam, The Netherlands and its office at Zwaanshals 530, 3035 KS Rotterdam, The Netherlands. Whiskybase B.V. is registered with the Dutch Chamber of Commerce under no. 52072819. The majority of the bottle is first-fill bourbon barrel Linkwood (39%), and that’s followed by 29% Clynelish also drawn from first-fill bourbon barrels. The third major component is 20% Benrinnes, again taken from first-fill bourbon casks. Notice a pattern? However, those three pillars are bolstered by 8% from a revatted oloroso sherry-seasoned butt from a “distillery near the town of Aberlour,” 2% from a first-fill bourbon barrel from Caol Ila, and finally 2% from Compass Box’s very own Highland malt blend. This latter ingredient features malts from Glen Moray, Balmenach and Tomatin. Phew! When the US imposed punitive tariffs on Scotch whisky in 2019, the government specifically targeted single malts – not blends of any sort. For a company dedicated to blended whisky, such as Compass Box, it mercifully granted a ‘free pass’ from a tax that grossly affected exports in 2020. The decision to clamp down on single malts is demonstrative of the subcategory’s perception compared with its blended counterpart, notes Compass Box founder and whisky maker John Glaser. There’s something really extraordinary and compelling, and magical, a deep cultural history that nobody gets, nobody understands. I thought I could bring this discovery to the world by doing it on my own rather than with all the money we had at Johnnie Walker.” The art of making whisky: Compass Box’s Artist Blend

Trending

It’s as idyllic as a Zoom tasting could be – held on the autumnal equinox, and John Glaser is sitting in what was to be the last of the summer (or is it autumn?) sun in his garden, chatting us through a momentous new release for Compass Box called Orchard House. Whisky Exploder Fresh and dried apples, honey, marzipan, graham, subtle baking spice and hints of banana chips and sultanas.

To the credit of the Scotch Whisky Association, they had to do their job and tell us we couldn’t do that, and that’s when we started the campaign,” Glaser explains, referring to the 2016 Scotch Whisky Transparency petition. The goal was to persuade the industry to change the rules and allow producers to list more than the youngest liquid in the bottle on the label. Fresh and dried apples, honey, malty sweetness, marzipan, baking spice and hints of banana chips, graham. Over the course of various projects I was involved in, I was asking lots of questions about why do we do this, and why do we always use that, why do we re‐use refill casks so much? Why hogsheads and barrels? Why do we chill filter? Why do we colour whiskies with this caramel stuff? And so on and so forth.”

Spice Tree Extravaganza

We may sell, license, transfer, assign or in any other way dispose of the Service (including Members) to any third party without any notification to you, e.g. (but without limitation) in connection with any reorganization, restructuring, merger or sale, or other transfer of assets.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment