276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Born Free

£4.995£9.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

She was raised by Joy Adamson and eventually the decision was made to rehabilitate Elsa into the wild.

With a new introduction by George Page, a poignant reminder of the services of the Adamsons in the cause of conservation. I understand that it was a different time, when the extinction rates of large african mammals weren't so high and people generally just cared less about animals, but to read about the casual killing of animals, many of whom are now so rare, left a bad taste in my mouth. On the other hand, this book is an account of some seriously unethical and problematic human behavior.Reading all three together certainly doesn't detract from any of the volumes - they flow on nicely from one to the next. We Are All Born Free is an award-winning book of beautiful illustrations that interpret our human rights for ages 5+, by top illustrators including Axel Scheffler (of Gruffalo fame), Korky Paul and John Burningham. The descriptions of her playful antics are amusing, and it’s an interesting peek also at life in the bush. If you missed the opening in London, don't worry - you can still catch it in Newcastle, Bristol and Edinburgh. Having successfully taught her to hunt, and live apart, she mated with a wild lion and the Adamsons then encouraged Elsa to introduce them to her cubs.

She grew up on an estate near Vienna, was educated in Vienna earning a music degree before studying sculpting and medicine. The only reason it's not getting five stars is simply because I like a more descriptive writing style.By the end though, the resounding theme for me here was the age old truth; Endearment begets sorrow. It got so far as to be initially aghast that the word 'bitch' was used, only to remember it had another non-derogatory definition. The first Born Free is sweet, so terribly sweet that you have to brush your teeth before and after reading, it narrates how her husband shot a lioness (I think actually the wrong one) and how the couple adopted her three cubs, two were eventually air freighted to Rotterdam, they live with the third, Elsa, for a while before letting her loose in a part of Kenya decided upon by Adamson's husband, a game warden. On 3 January 1980, in Shaba National Reserve in Kenya, Joy Adamson's body was discovered by her assistant, Peter Morson (sometimes reported as Pieter Mawson). First Edition, with 3 coloured frontispieces, very numerous coloured and monochrome photographs throughout and endpaper maps in the last two volumes, small contemporary signature on front free endpaper of second volume; pictorial cloth, backstrips lettered in black, a very good, bright, clean, crisp set in dustwrapper, the wrappers with two or three small losses and closed tears.

She helps us to find that elusive balance of living wisely with God at the centre while managing demands of family, work and relationships. Published in 1960, it became a bestseller, spending 13 weeks at the top of The New York Times Best Seller list and nearly a year on the chart overall. Elsa's story started the wild animal rights to live wild and free and ends in a very real legacy left by both Elsa and the Adamson's. Luckily, Born Free came to the rescue, and Bella and Simba were brought together to live out their days in peace at the Lilongwe Wildlife Centre in Malawi, southern Africa.Although I know it's easier to do with an animal than a real human friend, letting go is a difficult thing to do. What a fabulous lion Elsa was - she learned to live with other wild lions, but at the same time, she was gentle and always careful around her human caretakers, who she seemed to love just as much as they loved her.

Name to fly-leaf, spine concave with some creases and scuff along rear edge of spine, some darkening to pages else good tidy and unmarked. It's like having to share your best friend with someone new and becoming second fiddle to everything, even though Joy is completely aware that it's good for Elsa to seek this independence.Her tragic death, murdered by someone who knew her for a while overshadowed this but as time recedes we can out that too into a clearer perspective.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment