276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Spoiler Alert: The Hero Dies: A Memoir of Love, Loss, and Other Four-Letter Words

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

This being the turn of the century, Michael worries about affection in public and being gay bashed, even in New York City. Meanwhile, Kit is not out to his conservative parents, played by Sally Field and Bill Irwin. Michael has body dysmorphia issues (what gay man in NYC doesn’t?) and Kit has commitment issues. The two go on dates, share intimate moments (though the movie is frustratingly neutered of most sexuality), and eventually start living together. Later on, the couple grows distant, and eventually, infidelity, therapy, and a trial separation ensue — that is until a horrifying diagnosis upends everything in their lives. a b c d Fallon, Kevin (2017-09-12). " 'Spoiler Alert: The Hero Dies': The Gay Love Story That Will Break Your Heart". The Daily Beast . Retrieved 2022-12-12. The relationship Michael and Kit had before the diagnosis was no fairytale. Kit was a serial cheater and had in fact moved to a separate apartment a few months before his terminal diagnosis. The pair were regular visitors of a couples counsellor for over a decade. This is not a judgement on their relationship or actions, but the knowledge of this made it harder to invest in their relationship and to swallow the great swathes of the book where they are referring to each other with cringe-worthy pet names like ‘Poopiedoops’ (‘Peepiedoops’ also makes an appearance, the origin of which was stomach-churningly embarrassing). Spoiler Alert is a 2022 American romantic comedy-drama film based on the 2017 memoir Spoiler Alert: The Hero Dies by Michael Ausiello, directed by Michael Showalter and written by David Marshall Grant and Dan Savage. The film stars Jim Parsons, Ben Aldridge, and Sally Field.

Based on Michael Ausiello's best-selling memoir "Spoiler Alert: The Hero Dies," the film is a heartwarming, funny and life-affirming story of how Michael and Kit's relationship is transformed and deepened when one of them falls ill. Stream It Or Skip It: ‘Lynch/Oz’ on Criterion Channel, a Film-Study Documentary Digging Deep Into David Lynch's Influences This book destroyed me, I cried my eyes out. The courage and love that Michael writes about his late husband is just beautiful. This certainly was a book that hit me hard emotionally, and made me want to hold my own husband and my own loved ones a little bit closer as soon as I finished reading it. (Plus I couldn't see while reading the last chapter I was crying so hard.) But it was also a book that made me laugh, made me recognize myself and my own relationship in certain anecdotes Michael shared, and made me thankful that he was willing to share his relationship with Kit with us, although I'm sorry this is why he did.There’s a sense when talking to Aldridge and Parsons, who are both gay, that filming Spoiler Alert was less a job than it was a calling. “I just loved their love and what it teaches us about love,” Aldridge says. “You can’t love without risk of pain. They go hand in hand. There’s something really hopeful about the film. When I watched it, I felt like I didn’t just watch someone pass away. I got invigorated, and was taught to cherish life and taught to love better, I think.” Spoiler Alert: The Hero Dies by Michael Ausiello". www.publishersweekly.com. 2017-10-23 . Retrieved 2022-12-12.

The tears come and go—from both ends of the table—as he continues, stopping and starting to collect himself. “Whatever that takes, that’s what I’ll do. If that means that I have to learn how to change a colostomy bag in 30 seconds so that shit doesn’t go all over the bathroom floor, no time to think about it. Just gotta do it. And I’m going to keep him entertained through it so he doesn’t feel self-conscious about the fact that I’m invading his personal space.” He began writing Spoiler Alert just months after Kit’s death, wanting to type out the memories while they were still fresh. Kit was able to overlook Michael’s obsession with Smurfs, and the fact that his apartment was a de facto shrine to the characters. (Ausiello’s actual Smurfs collection is used in the film. “There’s a little cinematic embellishment,” he says. He never had a Smurfs comforter on his bed, for example, which would have been a dealbreaker for Kit—and Michael would have understood. “I would say they embellished by maybe 20 percent.”) Michael helped Kit to come out to his parents, which is one of the funniest, most charming scenes in the movie.

What Ausiello has done is made certain that Cowan’s one special life will never be forgotten. The hero died, but the spirit lives." Lambda Literary Review Bruce Lee's Daughter Says She Doesn't Know What Quentin Tarantino's "Issues Are" With Her Father: "He Has Borrowed From Him Quite A Bit"

a b "Michael Ausiello shares poignant tale of husband's death". Boston Herald. 2017-09-23 . Retrieved 2022-12-12. As painful as reliving the year-long death of his husband must have been while working on Spoiler Alert, it offered an opportunity few people are afforded. He got to, in detail, spend a year recollecting, processing, and maybe rethinking the start of his relationship all the way through to his husband’s last breath. Did he learn something about his relationship that he didn’t know before? I’m a gay TV reporter in a long-term relationship, and I also happen to be a cancer survivor. I can imagine, then, what it was like to get the phone call that his husband might have cancer while on the set of The Americans waiting to interview Matthew Rhys and Keri Russell, or to have to appear on camera interviewing Kristen Bell days after a doctor tells you he’s “concerned” about his prognosis. Klecak, Jacqueline (2017-09-06). "Worst of Years, Best of Intentions in Michael Ausiello's Memoir". New Jersey Monthly . Retrieved 2022-12-12. I lost my mom to breast cancer so it was a difficult book to read, but the story and their love, both the ups and downs of their relationship pulled me in.In 2001, Michael Ausiello, a writer for TV Guide, is brought to a gay nightclub by his best friend in Manhattan. There, he meets photographer Kit Cowan, and the two instantly connect. As they begin dating, Michael struggles with his insecurities of not being attractive enough for Kit, previously being overweight. Kit reveals that he had an affair. They both admit their fears of being in a long-term relationship since neither of them had been in one before, but they decide to continue dating. During their first Christmas together, Kit gives Michael his own closet space at his apartment.

I am not even sure how to review this book; I literally just stopped crying from it. Like super ugly crying. I will be crying for days over this book and for Michael's loss. Days.Stream It Or Skip It: ‘Louis Tomlinson: All Of Those Voices’ On Paramount+, Where The Ex-One Direction Singer Finds Himself As He Flies Solo

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment