276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Magic Flutes

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

As with many of his earlier operas, Mozart composed The Magic Flute’s fizzing overture last! It opens with three majestic chords (the number three again!) in the key of Eb major, which has three flats. For extensive discussion of the spread of The Magic Flute and its performance traditions, see Branscombe 1991, ch. 7. Colin Doyle (Boulder, CO) Tamino, tenor, is a recent graduate of the Maryland Opera Studio. This past summer, Doyle covered the role of Tito in Opera Steamboat's production of La Clemenza di Tito, and the roles of Basilio and Curzio in Le nozze di Figaro. Other recent roles include Belfiore in the Maryland Opera Studio's production of La finta giardiniera, Edwin in Opera Delaware's Trial by Jury and Ira (cover) in Opera Philadelphia's world premiere of Lembit Beecher's opera Sky on Swings. Doyle was the 2021 recipient of the Frances MacEachron award in the Lyndon Woodside Oratorio Competition and has appeared as the tenor soloist in performances of Handel's Messiah, Mozart's Requiem, Bach's St. John Passion, Thomas Lloyd’s Bonhoeffer and Debussy's L'enfant prodigue. Stark, Jonathan (2022-03-31). "Tamino, Who Are You?". Jonathan Stark – Conductor . Retrieved 2022-08-16.

Pamina asks forgiveness for her and for her mother. Sarastro sings I n diesen heil’gen Hallen kennt man die Rache nicht! (Within these sacred halls, revenge has no place…). Scene 4 – A Great Hall. When Emanuel Schikaneder wrote the libretto for The Magic Flute in 1790 he specifically chose to write it in his native German rather than Italian (the traditional language of opera in his day). At ENO we perform all our productions in English for the same reason, translating and adapting original texts so they are accessible to anyone. K 620; Magic Flute; KV 620; Zauberflöte; O Μαγικός Αυλός; La flauta magica; La Magia Fluto; Die Zauberflote

The opera, Mozart’s last, is a Singspiel, the spoken dialogue providing a tempo change between arias, ensembles and choruses. By omitting that dialogue, the score took on a different contour, not least because those gaps were filled not with continuo ornament, but with a cinema-style honky tonk playing snatches of Mozart’s fantasias in C minor and D minor: real chunks of real music. This introduced a new and decidedly odd key relationship to the score, not necessarily wrong – though Die Zauberflöte is mostly in E flat major – but distracting, like having a few sonnets dropped into Hamlet. At the end, my neighbour said it was all very interesting but she preferred The Magic Flute the normal way. There is no normal way. I do not want to see this one again but I am glad I did, even if afterwards I had to go in search not of the next whisky bar, but of a shop still open and selling asprin. In early 1791, composer Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart teamed up with actor-manager Emanuel Schikaneder, an old acquaintance and a fellow Freemason, to write a ‘comedy with machines’ for a theatre in the Viennese suburbs. The theatre’s finances, like Mozart’s own, were precarious. Schikaneder was confident that the new opera would be a box-office triumph.

Principal photography began in February 2021 at Bavaria Studios in Munich and wrapped in Tenerife in April. Other reported filming locations included Salzburg and London. [ citation needed] Music [ edit ] Prince Tamino has got lost in the forest and now finds himself in a country which is ruled by the Queen of the Night. A huge monster chases him and he is very frightened. He falls down in a faint. Three ladies who work for the Queen of the Night come and kill the monster. Then they see the handsome prince and they argue about which one of them will stay to look after him.

A magical adventure

He had started working on The Magic Flute already in spring that same year. On the 26th of July Amadeus’ wife Constanze gave birth to their sixth child, Franz Xaver Wolfgang. Pamina is sleeping. Monostatos, in love, sings a very short, but very interesting aria. Alles fühlt der Liebe Freuden . Firstly because the first line of the melody is exactly the first line of Largo al Factotum from The Barber of Seville by Rossini , maybe the most famous of all Rossini’s Opera Arias. Monostatos Which all comes down to Kosky’s operatic credo. “In opera, people are experiencing – on an incredibly unconscious level – a return to an archaic form of storytelling ritual that we need. That’s why it will survive. It is a special thing and it’s a live experience: the human voice coming out of the human body that you can only hear in this space at this time. Opera is something that says more about our mortality and our emotions than most other things. I know that’s why I go. And I presume that I’m like millions of other people. So I remain blissfully optimistic about the future.” The Magic Flute is full of oppositions (e.g. day against night, man against woman). At a musical level, this is represented by extremes of pitch – the role of Sarastro descends to an unusually low F2 in a few places, whilst the Queen of the Night’s famous aria reaches the dizzying heights of F6, a whole four octaves above!

Pared down to simplified costumes and minimal production, the fall opera is the art form at its most elemental: the singer, the story and the music take center stage. In addition to the MOS singers, this performance features undergraduate students from UMD Choral Activities and the work of M.F.A. design students from the School of Theatre, Dance, and Performance Studies. Amelia Brooks-Everist (Southampton, England) 1st Knabe, soprano, is a junior pursuing her degree in voice performance with the University of Maryland School of Music. She has performed with the UMD Chamber Singers and Maryland's student-run opera company, OperaTerps. She is a student of Jennifer Casey Cabot. Under the direction of Craig Kier, the Maryland Opera Studio is dedicated to the future of opera. Preparing the next generation of great singers and offering performances ranging from classic repertoire to provocative new works, it is building contemporary audiences for opera and advancing the art that sustains them. For example, Jeffreys and McBurney wanted the three Ladies at the beginning to be strong female characters. Subtle changes in the text can define characters in very different ways, for example in one of the Ladies’ opening lines:

Explore more

The Queen is sometimes referred to by the name "Astrifiammante", an Italian translation of the German adjective "sternflammende" ("star-blazing") in the original libretto Sigl's first film had a budget in the double-digit millions of euros, a cast of young stars from England and America, and opera stars from all over the world. That was unusual by German standards, but business as usual for Emmerich. The Magic Flute received a neutral response from the audience at the premiere. But very soon after, it started having incredible success. It is today one of the most performed operas in the world. On Operabase.com it was in second place from 2004 to 2019 worldwide, with 9264 performances.

Kleine Freimaurer Kantate” for the inauguration of the new Masonic Temple (with Mozart conducting), November 18. This is the last complete work by the composer. Finale. Scene 6: A garden [ edit ] Tamino and Pamina undergo their final trial; watercolor by Max Slevogt (1868–1932) Writer Stephen Jeffreys created the text for this ENO production of The Magic Flute. The role of the translator comes with certain freedoms to make choices for new English words, which director Simon McBurney wanted to make sure had a contemporary edge. When Mozart was six, he and his sister played at the Habsburg summer residence outside Vienna. He met the future queen of France, Marie Antoinette. She was two months older than Wolfgang and he immediately fell in love. She helped him when he slipped, and he promptly proposed to her. She didn’t accept.Anon. (25 October 2014). " Die Zauberflöte" (PDF) (Program notes). Metropolitan Opera. p.41. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2015-11-25 . Retrieved 2015-11-24. Joshua Borths (November 22, 2016). The secrets of Mozart’s “Magic Flute". Youtube. TED-Ed. Archived from the original on 2021-12-11.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment