276°
Posted 20 hours ago

My Brother the Killer: A Family Story

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Stuart Campbell was a healthy, happy child but I think at some point the alluded to event did happen in turn this changed him, he became harder, more secretive. Although it didn't make it the person he became there's opinions that it could have contributed to it. Stuart was Danielle's 'Uncle', someone that Danielle should have been able to trust. It's believed that he abducted her and ultimately murdered her, but Stuart has never publicly admitted guilt or had the decency to tell the family where Danielle's body is. It seems unbelievable that he could keep that deviant and violent side of himself a secret so well and for so long, bearing in mind that he served 2 previous prison terms. As I began reading this book, I tried to recollect the circumstances around Danielle's disappearance, but it wasn't until I googled her and saw her picture that I remembered her from all those years before. The murder of Danielle is a very sad story, not just because of her age and the fact that her body has never been found, but also because Stuart Campbell was her uncle, someone who she should have been able to trust.

Of course, this isn't ever a book you could say you enjoyed, purely for the nature of the crime, but it was a captivating read which was well written. I was particularly interested in the forthcoming parole hearing due at the end of this year, especially with 'Helen's Law's now in force, meaning cases where the location of a body is never disclosed a parole review is likely to be denied - no body, no parole. The author has done really well to not make the book all about himself or his brother, voicing his concerns on many occasions throughout the book of the anguish and upset Danielle's family are still going through. Funny enough this is a hard review to write. I remember reading about Danielle Jones going missing in the papers and seeing it on the news, recently I heard it again recently on a podcast. I can't begin to imagine how the families have coped over the past 2 decades, Each time it resurfaces in the media or as in this case a new book it must feel like a plaster being ripped off for both families..

I'm a huge fan of true crime, and so was really intrigued to read about the crime from the perspective of the brother of the murderer. This isn't a perspective I have read from with true crime before. Stuart Campbell, Alix Sharkey's brother abducted and murdered Danielle Jones one June day in 2001. Her remains have never been found and Stuart is coming to the end of his minimum 20 year sentence imposed on him. Never heard of this crime story before, although it was much in the news (in the U.K.). Not an easy book to read because of the content, but it does have a coherent flow. The brother in the title is somewhat of a mystery, an enigma, so the book is really about the family. Essentially it is a memoir about the author and growing up in a rough neighbourhood outside London, with an alcoholic father, and then later dealing with the revelation that his brother has been accused of abducting and killing a 15 year old girl (and to make the story even worse, the accused is the girl's uncle). May be spoilers. One particularly upsetting element for everyone involved is that the girl's body has never been located. The convicted killer refuses to help. Understandably, this is an ongoing open wound for all the families touched by this tragedy.

This was... interesting. A very smooth read, for better or worse -- there was a certain glibness to the prose at times, which, combined with the fact that this is basically a memoir, gave me the impression that Mr. Sharkey only told as much as he felt comfortable with or able to, while there were other layers to the story that were not delved into. Which I guess is only natural, but it also underscored what I felt was a certain shallowness he cultivated in his public persona -- this is someone who is very eager to tell us about his accomplishments (Parisian condo; young girlfriend; lots of money), the parties he went to, his fantastic cool friends, there's a lot of breathless hedonism that's very 1990s. Which is fine, especially considering the precarious conditions he grew up under (power to him to make it out of there), but it feels a bit weird to hear him talk about the missing Danielle and her family in between the bits about his crazy French life and whatever else he had going on; it's not like he knew the missing girl, or her family, beyond meeting them once at a family wedding, so the whole "poor Danielle; her parents must be going through hell" bit feels a bit hollow. Alix Sharkey tells us about growing up as a child in the 70's, it was rife with bigotry and racism., life with a brother who was "normal" whatever that is until puberty. had issues and an unhealthy, but unknown predilection for young girls, not to mention an abusive, alcoholic dad and how his mother mum enabled both the father and the brothers behaviour. At some point his mum finally threw her husband out, who then went on to become a hapless drunk. This book simultaneously reaches into the past in two different time periods, one counting the time since Danielle's disappearance and secondly to their earliest days as brothers and both timelines shine through with an honesty that took my breath away. The 15-year old’s body was never recovered, but Danielle’s parents soon learned that her ‘Uncle Stuart’, a close family friend, had concealed a decades-long history of sexual violence against teenage girls. Despite the absence of a body, Stuart Campbell was sentenced to life in prison for Danielle’s abduction and murder. But what set him on his path as a violent sexual predator? And how do you come to terms with his actions if he’s your own flesh and blood? Especially since he's not even around -- his daughter lives hundreds of miles away in another country, and Mr. Sharkey is basically Fun Dad who pops over every now and then. The Danielle chapters IMO had a bit of "me me me" to them ("OMG that was MY brother, what does that mean for ME, what if the press find out that he's related to ME, what do I do now", etc. etc.), and Daughter seemed to function almost as an extension of the author.

A family can hold many secrets. Sometimes, a secret is just something that happened and is never mentioned again. There was a moment of foreshadowing in the text that never seems to have been pursued. When the brother went to another school, the writer was jealous and destroyed his brother's electronic calculator (a new device at the time). Even though the writer was beaten by his mother, he never confessed and refused to admit his guilt because then he would have had to apologize. When I read this I thought, well, that is the same pattern as the killer years later — he will never admit his crime, will never apologize. The writer did not seem to have made this connection, how his own behaviour as a boy so strongly evokes his brother's actions years later. If the author wasn't being offensive, he was writing about things that didn't matter. He would constantly talk about how the case affected him, despite the fact that Danielle Jones lost her life and her body has never been recovered. He talked about how the trial affected him, and how he didn't know who to cry for. Himself, or Danielle?

I'm not sure I can say I enjoyed reading this book - purely because of the nature of what this book is about. However it was super interesting, and the idea of nature vs nurture was a strong theme within this book - particularly with the final couple of chapters. (i won't say more in case it's a spoiler) This book was atrocious. I had to literally force myself through it, just so I could finish my first book of the month. I expected it to be about the authors brother, with inputs from the author about growing up with a brother who would become a convicted killer. This wasn't the case. The author does a good job of detailing their family history, with the early years’ chapters interspersed with later year ones featuring information from around the time Danielle went missing and the subsequent trial. Their childhood didn't sound like a particularly happy one, suffering physical and emotional abuse at the hands of their father. It is to be wondered though, as you read, where it all went wrong - what happened to Campbell to make him become a child killer? Are you born with those tendencies or is it due to socio-economic factors (lifestyle, education, upbringing), and if so why didn't both brothers end up going down the same path? The author has recounted their past well, although the switching of the timeframes throughout the first half of the book did slow up the story of Danielle's disappearance for me. The recollection from the half way point onwards was interesting though and I found the information given throughout the trial gripping. True crime usually tells the story from the point of view of the victim or the perpetrator - this book comes from a different angle. Alix Sharkey, is Stuart Campbells brother. In this book, which covers a dual time line, the events of Danielle's disappearance and subsequent investigation and Stuart's childhood in an attempt to find out what makes a killer.Of course we never really find out what it was like to grow up with an alleged murderer. Sharkey's brother didn't run around the house wielding knives; the boys and their sister had a less than idyllic upbringing, but it wasn't brutally hopeless either, thanks to their mum, and until puberty hit the brother seems to have been more or less okay. There's no explanation for why he turned out the way he did (while Sharkey didn't), other than the hinted-at possibility of sexual abuse at the hands of a teacher, and no warning signs of the cutting-heads-off-bunnies variety, other than the brother's callous/cruel treatment of and early predilection for young girls; which obviously wasn't enough to set off alarm bells, at least during the 1970s and 80s. So if "My Life with a Murderer!" is what you're after, this book (thankfully) won't deliver. It's more of a memoir of growing up under very particular circumstances during a time that seems very far away now. In 2001, 15 year old Danielle Jones vanished on her way to school. In 2002, Stuart Campbell, Danielle's uncle, was convicted of her murder. Her body has never been found. A memoir heavily focused on a crime committed by the author's brother, I found this to be a tremendous work, and impossible to put down. The author Alix Sharkey jumps between two time periods in the past, examining his childhood and young adulthood, and then focusing on the moments immediately before and after the murder of 15-year-old Danielle Jones, for which Sharkey's brother – the girl's uncle – was ultimately convicted. I think in talking about their past, Sharkey deftly describes why both he and his brother ended up with the problems they had in early adulthood, but without excusing any of his brother's behavior, musing near the end that if their childhood caused his brother to murder a teenage girl, wouldn't he be right there in prison with him? This is a case that I didn't think I knew, until I searched up the crime online, and I remember it being such a high profile case.

What makes this book so special is that Alix doesn't cast himself as a wider victim, although I would disagree on some levels, but nor does he minimise the brutal childhood the boys shared. He shares his story, his fears that he shares his brother's, and father's, DNA and it is so easy for someone outside the story to truly understand how large those fears must loom. By writing the book in a way that avoids sensationalising poor Danielle's murder and focussing the story on the facts, the story is far more powerful than almost any other true crime portrait I have read by a relative of the perpetrator. Alix Sharkey is the older brother of Stuart Campbell, the man convicted in 2002 of murdering 15-year-old, Danielle Jones. Danielle's body was never found, and the author wrote this book in the hope his brother would finally do the right thing and reveal where Danielle's body is before his parole hearing scheduled for later this year. Alix and Stuart are brothers, there are just 14 months between them. In this book, Alix Sharkey examines the brothers' history, and what had been an unhappy, violent childhood. They both had the same start, but one brother would go on to commit crimes, culminating in one so terrible, and it would be within his own family.The one thing that kind of nagged at me was the author trying so hard to pinpoint an exact reason for why his brother was attracted to adolescent girls and how he could escalate to assaulting and killing his own niece. This doesn't really come up until near the epilogue, when the author discovers that the headmaster of the boarding school his brother attended was abusing young boys, and wonders whether Stuart was one of them, or at the very least knew what was happening and was affected by it. His brother has neither confirmed nor denied, so it's only speculation on the author's part, but there's a sense that he's desperate for it to be true, as this could wrap up his entire deviation with a neat little bow. While this theory could be spot-on, it follows the same logic he used in tossing out the theory of their childhood causing him to murder – why didn't EVERY boy from that school also go on to become pedophiles and child murderers? At 8.00am on Monday 18th June 2001, Danielle Jones left home dressed in her school uniform – and promptly vanished. This is the true crime memoir of Stuart Campbell, his brother and the murder of Danielle Jones. Alix Sharkey writes about their lives growing up, his own feelings, and thoughts now about his these could have affected his brother if he’d only known. The tale of family secrets, abuse and deception, and how a little innocent boy can grow up to be a murderer… I read it as I wanted to understand how you would feel if you found out someone you knew - were related to - had committed a horrific crime. It certainly delivered in this regard; the book shows the authors evolving emotions from confusion, to disbelief, to anger, and then to understanding (the cause - his brother's own history of being abused) - whilst never reaching forgiveness and retaining contempt at the pain he put his victims family through. I tend to agree with what I read and hear that without full disclosure of both guilt and the location where Danielle's body is to allow her parent the opportunity lay her to rest Stuart should not be given the luxury of parole.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment