276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Cops and Robbers

£3.995£7.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

A high stakes adventure that will keep you guessing and breathless until the very end.' Michael Gerard Bauer, author of Don't Call Me Ishmael Then i read it was written written expressly to be made into a movie and understood why it didnt have the usual Donald E.Westlake quality to it.

Okay I'm going to open with an apology again. This book was recommended by a friend, a friend who obviously liked it, very much. I just could not like it, get into it or enjoy the subject matter. For me...that's for me, it barely escapes a 1 star rating. Sorry. Draw a plan view of each floor in the police station based on the illustration in the book. What rooms are in the building?Donald Westlake paints a satirical picture of two ordinary men, frustrated with their ordinary lives. As they are ordinary men they are easy to like. When they start to take on the might of both Wall Street and the Mafia you will find yourself rooting for them, the underdogs. Tom and Joe are New York City policemen. They are also planning a grand heist that should net them two million dollars. But they have to outwit the Mob to keep the money and their lives. It might not be one of Westlake's strongest works, but I enjoyed it. As a long-time police officer I can appreciate some of the sentiment and even relate to the two officers, Joe and Tom. I've felt that frustration and cynicism at times my self.The job can be both boring and terrifying and there times when I really don't like the public. No I've never decided to pull of an armed robbery, but I can relate. Also I've never had an affair and I actually like my life, both the valleys and mountains. LoveReading4Kids exists because books change lives, and buying books through LoveReading4Kids means you get to change the lives of future generations, with 25% of the cover price donated to schools in need. Join our community to get personalised book suggestions, extracts straight to your inbox, 10% off RRPs, and to change children’s lives.

A super useful set of questions and activities to accompanying the reading of the ever-popular KS1 book C ops and Robbers by Janet and Allen Ahlberg. Includes opportunities for discussing the wonderful pictures, answering comprehension questions and follow up ideas. Condition: Very Good. Re-issue. Used book that is in excellent condition. May show signs of wear or have minor defects. Choose one of the robbers shown in the book (e.g. Grabber Dan, Grandma Swagg) and write a story about a crime they might have committed. If your mum was a cop and your dad was a crim who needed your help to commit a crime, would you do it to save him? At what cost? The robbers of London town plan a desperate crime on Christmas Eve - to steal all the toys they can lay their hands on! Fortunately, the robbers meet their match in brave Officer Pugh who leaps into action and arrests the villains - all except Grandma Swagg who manages to get away.Ahlberg wrote his first book when he was thirty-seven, after a decade of teaching - a profession that he maintains is "much harder" than being a writer. He says that if he hadn't become a writer, he would have loved to be a soccer player. He was married for many years to fellow children's author Janet Ahlberg, with whom he often worked. Their daughter, Jessica Ahlberg, is also a children's author. Look at the list of the things that the robbers took on Christmas Eve (found in the illustration showing the Street Map). Find out the approximate value of each item. What is the total value of the items stolen?

Hello Yellow - 80 Books to Help Children Nurture Good Mental Health and Support With Anxiety and Wellbeing -One of the scripts that he worked on in the early seventies was The New Centurions. I suspect that it might have influenced him in writing this story. That and the fact that by the early seventies the N.Y.P.D. was undergoing the trauma of the Knapp Commission/Frank Serpico and people were starting to look at cops in a different light - both good and bad. This book has a Wambaugh flavor to it. There is humor, but it's sardonic and incidental. The story is a heist caper, but this time it's being pulled of by a couple cops who have had enough of their job and the city and just want to get out. The seventies had begun and even though the decade was only a couple of years old one can already see the beginning of the so-called "Me Generation" beginning to take form. Westlake's cinematic prose and brisk dialogue made his novels attractive to Hollywood, and several motion pictures were made from his books, with stars such as Lee Marvin and Mel Gibson. Westlake wrote several screenplays himself, receiving an Academy Award nomination for his adaptation of The Grifters, Jim Thompson's noir classic. A ballad about a gang of robbers with a Christmas heist in the works, and the brave Officer Pugh who saves the day. My first Westlake novel. I've been told by readers who are fans that this isn't one of his better works. Evidently it began life as a script (I've seen the movie and it isn't too bad) and Westlake novelized it. However being new to his novels this isn't that bad of a read. I see from looking at his entry over on the Internet Movie Database (imdb) Mr. Westlake did a lot of (uncredited) work on scripts. I guess he would polish a script and give it that certain something that made him so popular.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment