276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Tennis World Tour (Nintendo Switch)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The only option for online competitive table tennis, Ping Pong Fury is a masterclass in batting battles. Waggle...yeah...I tend to agree but the waggle itself is what they were selling. I get it. I didn't like it, but I get it. Sushi striker has the touch or buttons controls.... So at least the creative intent is "we think these are all good control schemes and we offer you these options." If you’ve read any of our sports-related lists before, like the best rugby games or the best bowling games, you’ll recognize the Desktop series. Sorry, I'm grumpy. Also, the GBC game is genuinely great and people should definitely play it. But not as a replacement for this. It's simply not comparable. Remarkably, while I'd consider Splatoon 2 to be a "Switch Port Plus", and Smash Bros. 'Ultimate' a "Switch Port Plus" the thought of Aces being a port of Ultra Smash never even crossed my mind once...they just don't seem too interrelated as far as the genre goes at all. Ultra Smash was a dumpster fire more grounded in Wii Sports than in the previous Mario Tennis games (that I haven't played.) If this is a "Switch Port Plus", Smash Bros. Ultimate is a "Switch Port Minus."

Tennis World Tour is a pretty much direct competitor with AO Tennis 2. During its initial launch, many people were very frustrated with Tennis World Tour, as it failed to live up to any expectations whatsoever. It felt like a very unfinished game that turned people off right away. But, they do need enough games for "us" too. I do think they have them, they just aren't presenting them well. If we ignore Aces and Sushi Striker (great games, IMO, but not "big" games.) There's the slew of 3rd party RPGS (including an exclusive) coming....starting next week. The definitive version of Wolfenstein (screw graphics, id Software games need a mouse and gyros are the closest I'm getting to that on console.) StarFo..errLink looks like the SF:0 we wanted and didn't get, Smash is the WiiU audience, even if it's not a big deal to me. Console Pokemon (grumbling aside, Treehouse made it look good...I'm meh on the motion but the game looks good, and I'm game to try new things, I have 100 games on PS/XB that don't try new things....variety is nice )

Clearly Mario Tennis Aces was going to make this list – it’s undoubtedly one of the best tennis games available on Switch. And it stars our favourite moustachioed hero, too. I feel differently about publishers giving us collections vs console makers who are also their own system's primary "new" game publisher. But I do get what you're saying. Yorumi DKC:TF does have two available control schemes though. It's not custom mapping but that one does offer options (Retro: US dev, of course...) Aces supports the new control scheme and the old control scheme (it just doesn't document it, but it just "works") In that case I guess hard to argue with a, what, 15, 20 year old scheme? ; From a western perspective it's strange: Why can't I just do what I want to do? But that's the west. There, it's more like "why would anyone want to do something different than the way that's already been determined to be the best way?"

Naturally, given its title, AO Tennis 2 contains a full recreation of the Australian Open event, including polygonal recreations of Melbourne Park and its various courts: the Rod Laver Arena, Melbourne Arena, Margaret Court Arena and Show Court 2 and 3, as well as one of the smaller 500-seat courts (for matches featuring less well-known players). It’s all impressively accurate, right down to the fact that Andy Murray isn’t in it. When looking at actual gameplay, it is a little clunky with netplay, but most people are fairly satisfied. If they could refine the mechanics a bit, this could be close to perfect in video game form. It is still the best of the best as far as realism is concerned with all that said. Dang69 I'll agree we are in a bit of a lull at the moment, but all systems go through that at different times of the year. All things considered, I think there's a pretty extensive library of high quality games considering the Switch's age. Of course that's not a benefit to someone like you or me who have owned one for a while and played through most of what interests us already, but the catalog is still strong IMO. Next, talk about the refinement/game polish. Here is where you talk about the characters and stages. Do they all add to the experience or do they feel lifeless and rushed? Are they balanced? Uniqueness? How is the music of this game (which wasn't discussed). Overall though, you hit the key points in your opinions.

Lofi Ping Pong – Switch

It’s a little no-frills when compared with some of the other titles in this list, but when it comes to I’m Ping Pong King :), less is definitely more. Versus a non-monetary "I've designed this this way, I think it's well designed this way, and I think you're going to like it this way. If you don't, I think if you try to adapt your thinking to it, you'll actually learn to like it" This isn’t the most serious tennis game, then. Of course it wouldn’t be, with its cast of Mario characters filling its court – but it is one of the most fun, the most polished, and the most enjoyable. And so, if you’re a tennis fan and own a Switch, this ought to be in your collection. With sensitive real-time touch controls, a decent amount of shot options to keep your opponent on their toes, and a collection of vibrant digital stadiums to host the competition, it’s the closest you’re going to get to an online ping pong league. As well as all this, there’s an active Tennis World Tour 2 online mode, so you can challenge your skills against other players when you outgrow the AI.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment