276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Spitfire: A Very British Love Story

£10£20.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

A tough dog fight ensued where he continued to evade the two German fighters, who did not manage to hit him once. I understand I can change my preference through my account settings or unsubscribe directly from any marketing communications at any time. A great shame that many of the Spitfire pilots interviewed as part of this book are no longer with us, but this book certainly does its fair part in keeping their stories alive. The impact of the stress on the pilots (average age of about 20) who would fly up to 5 sorties per day, against a much larger and battle-hardened enemy, not knowing whether they would come back or whether they would see their friends and colleagues again.

What is this all about then? – Pianobook What is this all about then? – Pianobook

In parts, it's incredibly moving, especially when you think many of these pilots were under twenty when they first took to the skies. The author could have focused just on the pilot's stories, or how the Spitfire handled itself in battle, however, by choosing to add in some historical facts about WW2 at the same time, I feel as though I have travelled through time, learning more about those 6 years we were at war in a way I wasn’t taught or have read about previously.It reveals the goings one of the rookie pilots almost begging to go up in a "Spit", it tells of the aces, the reconnaissance pilots, the test pilots, the Air Transport Auxiliary (ATA), which showed the first example of equal pay for men and women for the same job. Many a time when I sat in the garden reading this book, a Spitfire from a nearby airfield would fly over, and even though I was born well after the Second World War, the sound of a Spitfire's engine makes me feel nostalgic for a time I never knew. Flight Lieutenant Adrian John Nichol (born December 1963) is a retired Royal Air Force navigator who was shot down and captured during the first Gulf War. It would have been nice to see a bit more about the people who built and maintained the aircraft, but what is clear from the book is that everyone who came into contact with it has developed a deep and enduring love for the Spitfire. With two 2-Seat Spitfires in house we will always have a a spare ready to go on the day of your flight so technical issues that can can affect these vintage aircraft will not have to affect your adventure.

The Aerodynamics of the Spitfire - Royal Aeronautical Society The Aerodynamics of the Spitfire - Royal Aeronautical Society

The pack includes a pop-up Spitfire greetings card (great as a memento or to give as part of a surprise gift) and set of briefing notes specific to The Grace Spitfire in the original style of WWII pilots notes. As the RAF marks its centenary, Nichol has created a thrilling and often moving tribute to some of its greatest heroes. What Hitler hadn’t planned for was the agility and resilience of a marvel of British engineering that would quickly pass into legend – the Spitfire. Witnesses tell the story of this amazing achievement, recounting times of terrible sadness as well as joyous times that included GI dances, a Glenn Miller concert and a Joe Louis boxing match. With this new 116-page bookazine from Key Publishing, brought to you by the Airfix Model World editorial team, everything you need to know about building Airfix’s new-tool 1/24 Spitfire Mk.Taking us through all theatres of World War 2, they are poignant stories of love, pain, courage, fear and duty. While it hasn't convinced me that the Spit was superior to the Hurricane, I have a new regard for the aircraft. But we also love the planet and its future is very important to us too, so we donate a percentage of every purchase through Stripe Climate to scale carbon removal technology to help offset the effect of the experiences we offer. Founded by Christian Henson (co-founder of Spitfire Audio) in 2018, the site has now grown to over a 1000 free virtual instruments- offering a huge catalogue of inspirational sounds to get your creative juices flowing!

Spitfire | Book by John Nichol | Official Publisher Page

We learn about one pilot who had been attacked by roughly a dozen enemy aircraft yet emerged from the attack to tell the tale. He has made a number of TV documentaries with Second World War veterans, written for national newspapers and magazines, and is a widely quoted commentator on military affairs. Following your flight, you will be sent a unique link, so that the footage is only visible to you and anyone you choose to share it with. This book inks in that sketch in effect by telling the story of the second world war through the contribution of this one aircraft. It pays homage to the men and women who designed the Spitfire, built her, maintained her and flew her — as well as to the Spitfire herself.

This happened to him not once, but twice during the war in two different theatres, and as he takes us through the action, I had to admire both his skill as a pilot (which he underplayed), and the incredible engineering of the Spitfires he flew that were so responsive they were often described by pilots as “an extension of myself. There are also photographs, and one of them had this caption: “ATA pilot Mary Ellis celebrates her 100th birthday in 2017 by taking the controls of a twin-seat Spitfire over Sussex.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment