276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Feeling Poetic: A Book of Poetry

£3.475£6.95Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Always For The First Time’ is André Breton’s ode to a woman he has not met, but is willing to wait every day for. Breton was the French founder of the surrealist movement, which aimed to blur the lines between dreams and reality in art — explaining the rather whimsical nature of this beautiful love poem. 8. "Love and Friendship" by Emily Brontë Considering Longfellow’s long career as an educator, the optimistic nature of “The Builders” comes as no surprise. By calling everyone ‘an architect of Fate’, working in the ‘walls of Time’, he conveys that all humans have a meaningful impact on the world. Be it with ‘massive deeds’ or ‘ornaments of rhyme’, each and every person has a role to play. 18. "Life", by Charlotte Brontë Invictus’ was partly inspired by Henley’s (pictured right) own struggles as an invalid (he lost a leg when young) and his determination to remain ‘bloody but unbowed’. We looked at motifs earlier as recurring symbols in a poem. Not all symbolism is recurring, but all of it should support what the poet is trying to say as a larger whole. If you’re looking for a little courage, “Life Doesn’t Frighten Me” is the poem to turn to. Angelou takes us into the mind of a child who lists an elaborate array of things that seemingly don’t frighten her — ‘shadows’, ‘big ghosts’ or even ‘tough guys’. The refrain ‘frighten me at all’, is repeated ten times throughout the poem. This repetition causes one to question the speaker’s honesty — is the child really not frightened? Or is this repetition simply a way to make her feel braver? Whether the child is truly unafraid or not, this poem perfectly encapsulates the concept of facing your fears with a smile. 12. "A Psalm of Life", by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

In Shakespeare’s final entry on our list, he challenges the traditional association of love with beauty. It doesn’t matter what his lover looks like — to him she is the most rare and valuable thing in the world. 56. "Love’s Philosophy" by Percy Bysshe Shelley The fountains mingle with the river And the rivers with the ocean, The winds of heaven mix forever With a sweet emotion; Nothing in the world is single; All things by a law divine In one spirit meet and mingle Why not I with thine? Here, you will find a selection of poems about emotions for kids that explore different emotions, from joy and excitement to sadness and fear. 1. Painting Feelings

Using metaphors over similes. The simile, with the use of ‘like’ or ‘as’, might also slow up and impede the evocation of the emotions. Metaphors however can give a better picture of the two objects we compare. One of Whitman’s shortest and most celebrated poems,“O Me! O Life!” highlights the daily struggle that is life. After his early lamentations, the poet concludes that the meaning of life lies in life itself — that we are present, alive, and can contribute our own verse to life. In Whitman’s case this is literally a verse, but metaphorically this refers to whatever you bring to the table. 11. "Life Doesn’t Frighten Me", by Maya Angelou Poetry is about emotion or is even written with it. We just naturally assume this because in most cases when we feel low or want to express our emotions, some of us do so through poetry. Emotion may be a standard in poetry, but it is not a priority, meaning it is not always necessary.

As you progress, your awareness of technical literary devices in poetry such as assonance, epistrophe, metonymy, and poetic form will become as natural as a musician who no longer needs to look at the keys—they simply form a part of your poet’s voice. A zeugma, as well as being your new secret weapon in Scrabble, is a poetic device that was used quite a lot in old Greek poetry but isn’t seen as much these days—largely because it’s difficult to do well. It’s when a poet uses a word in one sentence to mean two different things, often meaning a literal one, and one meaning a figurative one. When these ideas are used once in your poem, they’re a poetic device called symbolism. To be a motif, they’d need to be used in repetition, with each interval creating stronger and stronger links between the themes of the poem and the reader’s understanding of the world. 16. MythIn ‘I Love You’, Ella Wheeler Wilcox lays out the tiny moments that add up to why the speaker feels so passionately about her love, before going on to describe the colder attributes she’s not looking for in a relationship. This juxtaposition helps to make the initial love she describes all the more special. 64. "We Have Not Long to Love" by Tennessee Williams This enigmatic poem uses the metaphor of an early morning horse-ride to explore numerous shifting notions of identity. This collection of long poetries about emotions explores the depths of emotion, from joy to sorrow and everything in between. Join us on a journey of discovery. 1. Emotional Bursts For example, “he lost his passport and his temper” or “I left my heart and my favorite scarf in Santa Fé” are two instances where the verb is used in both literal and figurative ways. How to use poetic devices

Through these emotional love poems, we explore the ups and downs, the joys and sorrows, and the beauty and complexity of human relationships. 1. Life on the River Emotions can even change our body temperature in an instant like a switch inside, we can have warm to hot feelings, to a chill with goose bumps from our toes to our eyes. Examples of similes are Shakespeare’s “Her hair, like golden threads, play’d with her breath” and Langston Hughes’ “What happens to a dream deferred? Does it dry up like a raisin in the sun?” The word “like” in these examples is the hint that we’re looking at a simile, and not a metaphor.This link to emotion, as well as child-like speech, undoubtedly goes some way to explaining another popular idea about poetry: that it signals “madness”. Biopics of poets feed this stereotype by overwhelmingly choosing poets with mental illnesses as their subjects — for instance, Sylvia and Pandaemonium, portraits of Sylvia Plath and Samuel Taylor Coleridge respectively. Janice Gould’s work homes in on themes of love and connection, with strong links to her identity as a Maidu lesbian. In ‘Six Sonnets: Crossing the West’, Gould equates her lover to a dream, never running short on ethereal ways to describe her... and mourning when she slips away, even temporarily. 30. "For Keeps" by Joy Harjo Love doesn’t have to be confined to romance — love between friends can be just as strong and beautiful. In ‘Love and Friendship’, Emily Brontë compares romantic love to a rose — stunning but short-lived — and friendship to a holly tree which can endure all seasons. 9. "To Be In Love" by Gwendolyn Brooks The poem introduced a couple of famous phrases into the language: ‘bloody, but unbowed’, and the final two lines: ‘I am the master of my fate: / I am the captain of my soul.’ Political activist, poet, and essayist June Jordan is one of the most widely-published Jamaican American writers of her generation. In her ‘Poem for My Love’, the speaker is in absolute spiritual awe of her partner and the way she feels about their transcendent love. 35. "for him" by Rupi Kaur no, it won’t be love at first sight when we meet it’ll be love at first remembrance ‘cause i’ve recognized you in my mother’s eyes when she tells me, marry the type of man you’d want to raise your son to be like.

Similes often get lumped together with metaphors as poetic devices that express the similarities between two seemingly unrelated ideas. They serve a very similar purpose in poetry, but are approached slightly differently. Where a metaphor uses one idea to stand in place for another, a simile simply draws a comparison between these two things. Breaking on sur- is almost painful for readers or listeners—we know rounds is coming but for one agonizing moment, it doesn’t. We long for and dread the rest of the word, when our expectations will be met, but the darkness will descend. Yet breaking sur- / rounds in this way also gives rounds us, suggesting that even as darkness envelops us, it defines and shapes us as well. Just as a stone is worn and shaped by the sea, darkness makes us well rounded. We would not be ourselves without it, and without this Anaphora is the act of beginning a series of successive sentences or clauses (sentence fragments) with the same phrase. It’s an older literary device that many writers instinctively still use today, knowing that it lends a unique emphasis and rhythm even if they don’t know the specific term for it. You may have even used it yourself without realizing it! Maya Angelou was one of America’s most acclaimed poets and storytellers, as well as a celebrated educator and civil rights activist. In ‘Come, And Be My Baby’, Angelou beautifully captures how overwhelming modern life can be and the comfort that love can provide during times of hardship — even if only for a moment. 2. "Bird-Understander" by Craig Arnold These are your own words your way of noticing and saying plainly of not turning away from hurt Tone is the not-entirely-quantifiable mood, or atmosphere, of your piece. Some poets are great at crafting dark, haunting poetry; others write poems full of soft sunshine that make you think of a languid summer morning in the grass.Wordsworth’s "My Heart Leaps Up" emphasizes the importance of retaining a child-like sense of enthusiasm throughout life. The poem begins by the speaker stating the joy he feels on seeing a rainbow, the very same delight he first felt when he saw it as a child. The poem argues that adults should not let this child-like sense of awe and appreciation for nature die out, as it is what makes life worth living. 40. "Life Is", by Mother Teresa We hope that this collection of poems for emotions has been helpful in understanding and expressing your emotions. One of the intense poems about emotions that talks about a person and his faith in God. It depicts the misery and the emotions of the person who lost a close one and how his faith now is on the edge of being broken. Image of a broken statue of an angel.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment