276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Mona Bone Jakon

£3.495£6.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I just have to be by myself for a while to do what I want to do. It's good to be alone sometimes. Look, Steven [Stevens' given name] wrote that song when I left for New York. I left for a month, it wasn't the end of the world was it? But he wrote this whole song about 'Lady D'Arbanville, why do you sleep so still.' It's about me dead. So while I was in New York, for him it was like I was lying in a coffin... he wrote that because he missed me, because he was down... It's a sad song. [6] During Stevens’ extended convalescence, he studied classical music, metaphysical literature, and meditative self-reflection. The album that emerged, Mona Bone Jakon, expressed the torment he had experienced but combined it with self-referential humour and a spiritual awakening. A notable creative partnership Marking the start of a long-running creative partnership with producer (and former Yardbird) Paul Samwell-Smith, the album includes the deeply Romantic “Lady D’Arbanville”, The spiritually uplifting ‘I Think I See The Light’, the tongue-in-cheek ‘Pop Star’ and the heart-rendering ‘Trouble’ – which has connected with many a tormented soul including Elliott Smith, Chris Cornell and John Frusciante who have all covered the song. Before ‘Tea for the Tillerman’, a musical masterpiece widely lauded as one of the greatest albums of all time, a new deal with Island Records saw the April 1970 release of ‘Mona Bone Jakon’. The album represents one of the most profound artistic metamorphoses of the 20th Century: the cleanly shaven Carnaby Street pop-star incarnation of Cat Stevens, who brought us ‘I Love My Dog’ and ‘Matthew & Son,’ fades into the mist of a bygone era, emerging from the shadows as a new man, musician, and authentic lyrical master of metaphor, whose songs would help define a new genre for a generation of music lovers, and pave the way for a poignant new wave of soulful singer-songwriters. A blu-ray in both sets provides a hi-res stereo of the new mix of each album, plus various videos of live and/or TV appearances and both box sets come with vinyl versions of the new 2020 mixes and 12-inch EPs with further content.

Ruhlmann, William (2007). "Artist Biography - Cat Stevens". Billboard.com. All Media Guide . Retrieved 3 December 2008. O'Driscoll, Michelle (29 July 1972). "Tea With The Tillerman". Disc Magazine . Retrieved 1 December 2008.years on, the songs on ‘Mona Bone Jakon’ still sound as fresh as the day they were recorded. Presented here in a new 2020 Remastered version on CD, and a new 2020 Mix by David Hefti on CD and LP, the Super Deluxe Edition also includes an exclusive third CD of previously unreleased studio material, and a fourth CD featuring 18 live performances from 1970/71. The 2020 remaster was completed at Abbey Road Studios, and was overseen by original album producer, Paul Samwell-Smith. Can you explain the meaning behind the line “Wrapped by sorrow’s lonely gown, the poet hides in tears”? Each set also has very generous live CDs full of live performances either on stage at concerts or festivals, or for TV appearances. Elton John's version has him singing "You will be my pill", instead of the original lyrics. John's career took off around the same time as that of Stevens, and the cover songs that John sang on, including "Lady D'Arbanville", remained in obscurity until they were eventually released on a compilation album titled Chartbusters Go Pop in 1994.

Anniversary Super Deluxe Editions of ‘Mona Bone Jakon’ and ‘Tea for the Tillerman’ will be released on December 4th via UMC / Island. Full format details are listed below. There are also half-a-dozen other semi-rarities, all of which were previously released on the 2008 boxset On The Road To Find Out. “If You Want To Sing Out, Sing Out” and “Don’t Be Shy” were written for Hal Ashby’s 1971 coming-of-age movie Harold & Maude after Elton John had dropped out and recommended Stevens as his replacement. “Honey Man” is a sprightly duet with Elton from around the same time. “The Joke” is a surprisingly soulful electric blues with a hippie-friendly lyric about “too many schemers and not enough dreamers”, while the whimsical “I’ve Got A Thing About Seeing My Grandson Grow Old” sounds improbably like something The Incredible String Band might have recorded. Again, we get the original album as heard at the time and in a new remix, plus the recent Yusuf-sings-Cat 2020 updates on the songs recently released as Tea For The Tillerman 2. Then there’s a swathe of live recordings and another disc of demos, this time with two previously unreleased songs, the heartfelt “Can This Be Love?” (which could have been a contender) and the throwaway “It’s So Good” (which has no such pretensions). A similar deluxe reissue is also coming December 4 for 1970’s Tea For The Tillerman, which Yusuf/Cat Stevens released just seven months after Mona Bone Jakon.CD3 features the newly-released Tea For The Tillerman², which Yusuf has chosen to include to show how these songs are as pertinent today as they were 50 years ago. CD4 includes demos, outtakes, and alternate versions, with the previously unreleased “Can This Be Love?”, “It’s So Good,” “If You Want To Sing Out, Sing Out,” and “Don’t Be Shy.” “Can This Be Love?” was originally scheduled to appear on the album, after Cat wrote it alongside “Father and Son” for the proposed musical project Revolussia in 1969. Both albums were newly remastered at Abbey Road Studios, with an extra CD/LP boasting a new 2020 mix for the albums. The Tea for the Tillerman reissue is also accompanied by his recent Tea for the Tillerman², Yusuf’s 2020 re-recording of the classic LP. trans. Michael Valenzuela, "Majicat – Cat Stevns (sic) in a French Magazine Pop Musigue (sic)", Pop Musique interview, Majicat: Cat Stevens Scrapbook, c. 1972 , retrieved 24 February 2012 {{ citation}}: CS1 maint: others ( link) Cat Stevens – Changes IV (Live At Plumpton Jazz & Blues Festival, 08-08-70) – 4:09 (465 kbps , 13.79 MB) In 1970, the song was recorded in both French and Italian by French-Italian Singer Dalida and released on singles in France and Italy. Italian singer Gigliola Cinquetti also recorded the song in Italian the same year.

Slimmer editions include a 1-CD standard edition bookset with the 2020 remaster of the original album mix and a 2-CD deluxe edition with the remaster and a selection of demos and live recordings.

Credits

Answer: Yes, in various interviews, Cat Stevens has shared his insights about the song. He often mentions that “Mona Bone Jakon” represents his rebellion against the music industry’s restrictive norms and his desire to express himself freely. 8. Did “Mona Bone Jakon” receive critical acclaim upon its release? Cat Stevens – Time – Fill My Eyes (Live At Plumpton Jazz & Blues Festival, 08-08-70) – 4:01 (421 kbps , 12.08 MB) The collectible set also includes a 12” etched vinyl EP offering a rare audience recording of Live At Plumpton Jazz & Blues Festival from August 1970, as well as a trove of ephemera.

Answer: “Mona Bone Jakon” marked a turning point in Cat Stevens’ career, showcasing his talent for storytelling through heartfelt lyrics. The success of the song further cemented his place as a visionary singer-songwriter. 10. Can you describe the musical style of “Mona Bone Jakon”?

Statistics

Newly signed to Island Records, Stevens’ Mona Bone Jakon album (released in April 1970) wasn’t a really a hit at all, but it did deliver a top ten UK single in ‘Lady D’Arbanville’ and its standing grew when Tea for the Tillerman was a major success – driven by the single ‘Wild World’– when released only seven months later, in November of that same year. Yusuf/ Cat Stevens will celebrate the 50th anniversary of his two 1970 albums, Mona Bone Jakon and the classic Tea for the Tillerman, with huge reissues dedicated to both LPs.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment