276°
Posted 20 hours ago

LEGO Technic Space Shuttle 8480

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The building experience is a little hit and miss, though. The build for Hubble is simply joyous from start to finish, while the Space Shuttle starts off strong, but towards the end gets a little repetitive. It’s a minor negative as the finished model looks excellent, but it’s worth bearing in mind if you are on the fence about this set, or are deciding between this and another in a similar price range. NASA Space Shuttle Discovery is certainly impressive – there’s no doubt about that. Both models look incredible with a high level of accuracy and authenticity, and it’s clear the designers have a lot of love for this subject material as both have been incredibly faithfully recreated. Having the option to display the smaller Hubble attached to or alongside the larger Discovery adds another layer to the display, and both have an air of importance to them thanks to the display stands and information plaques. I've added another gif to the Build section, which shows the FOS system working in the Space Shuttle. Gear Shifters If I ever really get into financial problems, and need to sell everything to keep a roof over my head, this one stays. I rather sleep in an alley with this set next to me, than having a house without my space shuttle.

LEGO NASA 10283 Space Shuttle Discovery Set for Adults

One of the most noteworthy of the new parts is the Fiber Optics Element. According to multiple blogs, this element was so expensive to produce, LEGO lost money with every set the part came in. I can't find any proof of this, but knowing what the next years would bring (AKA the Dark Ages) makes me believe there can be some truth in it. Also, the system only appeared in a few sets in the span of 2 years. There are 3 parts that play a key role here: 6542a Technic Gear 16 Tooth with Clutch, 6538b Technic Axle Connector Ridged and 6539 Technic Driving Ring 2L. The clutch gears have a round hole instead of an axle hole, so they can spin freely over an axle. When the axle is spinning, the clutch gears don't. The driving ring can slide over the axle connector, 'catching/clutching' one of the clutch gears, making it spin along with the axle, activating any drivetrain that is connected to the clutch gear. This way, you can turn drivetrains on and off, depending on which function you want to use. Another option is letting both clutch gears activate the same drivetrain. Using different sized gears behind the clutch gear, you can create a gearbox, driving the drivetrain in different speeds, while the source stays the same speed. This system is utilized in the 8880-1 Technic Super Car. You can also activate the same drivetrain, but in a different direction. I don't know when this was used first, but I have seen it in the 42042-1 Crawler Crane and 42082-1 Rough Terrain Crane in recent sets. There are probably more. In fact, it’s such a wonderful design that had the LEGO Group decided to release this separately, it would no doubt garner huge praise. As it is, this is just a small part of this set, and the fact there is a gigantic Space Shuttle to build next makes for a very exciting prospect.It's hard to believe there once was a time, where we didn't have gear shifters. These are now so common-place in the Technic universe, that many sets wouldn't be possible without them. The Space Shuttle is the 2nd set to feature this system, after the 8880-1 Technic Super Car (next Classic Review?). This set was one which features a fiber optic system. The motors power the bay doors, the robot arm and the satellite. The arm can turn and bend and the satellite solar panels can open and close. The fibre optic system is used to light up the engines. The shuttle also has hand-operated landing gear and flaps. The alternate model is a submarine. The technology used in this set was and is currently advanced for LEGO. However, LEGO stopped marketing and stopped using Light-Fibre Technology and only uses gears and motors in their modern TECHNIC sets.

LEGO Creator Expert 10283 NASA Space Shuttle Discovery review LEGO Creator Expert 10283 NASA Space Shuttle Discovery review

The front and rear gears are connected to one another through a large sub-assembly that runs the entire length of the hull. Pushing into the rear of the Shuttle will cause the landing gear to retract with a beautifully smooth motion. It may have been one of the hardest things to get right, but the designers can be proud of the finished result.

Incredible attention to detail allows you to you focus your mind

It's mostly very enjoyable to assemble, despite those app quibbles. It's only really the end sequence that becomes frustrating, but it's worth it when you're so close to the finish line. If you're a big space fan, you'll particularly appreciate this. However, anyone who fancies something different from the usual Lego way of doing things will like what's here. Other sets to consider NASA Space Shuttle Discovery is a beautifully fitting tribute to mark the anniversary of the Space Shuttle’s first flight and immortalise one of the most significant moments in space exploration, the launch of the Hubble telescope. For space fans this comes highly, highly recommended. But if space travel isn’t quite your cup of tea, there are other sets out there at the moment that will offer a more enjoyable all-round experience for either the same price, or slightly cheaper. Engino also offers the London Eye in this range with a motorized engine. It's pricier but it looks suitably captivating for fans of London tourist locations. This set. This one. This is the single greatest set LEGO has ever released! What can I say. It just has everything. Especially great personal memories, what might play a role in naming this the best set ever.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment