276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Hope in a Ballet Shoe: Orphaned by war, saved by ballet: an extraordinary true story

£4.495£8.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

While at the orphanage she witnessed her teacher be murdered but she also befriended a couple of girls. She was eventually adopted by US parents, along with her best friend. She went to live in the US, pursued her dreams of ballet and even appears on Dancing with the Stars. Released in the US under the title Taking Flight, this is a biography, not a novel as some reviewers seem to think. I also would like to know what happened to Mia, as I loved their stories about their close relationship growing up, but there isn't much said about Mia towards the end.

Here is a preview of the book taking flight, which is the other book title about her life, very similar to Hope in a Ballet Shoe. Some of these people I loved; others I detested. But if it were not for them, I would not have a life, let alone be a ballerina. Together they poured their time, energy, and life savings into helping my dream come true. They gave me encouragement and emotional support through the difficult years of training. They did this when I was only four-years-old, and they are still the steady source of my emotional support at age 20

Get the RNZ app

Fortunately, this is an incredibly strong and determined child who moves through girlhood into womanhood with fierceness and grace. My American mother and father dedicated their lives to their children. It is with their love and guidance that I adjusted to my new life in America. When my mother learned of my passion for ballet, she convinced my father to support this. In America, the life was a struggle of different type. Racial prejudices present not only in the world of dance but also in modern day America makes it more difficult for her to become a professional ballerina. Dedication, determination, family ties, a lot to learn from the book. A movie has been published based on the story of Michela.

I have put off reading this for YEARS not because I wasn't interested in it but because it's hugely popular with the 12 year olds at work and my brain shelved it in the same category as Soul Surfer, a book I have flipped through a couple of times while shelving and ultimately decided is not for me. It was fortunate for Michaela and Mia that their new parents were both kind and experienced. They had already raised 5 boys - two of whom had passed away due to being born with hemophilia and contracting AIDS via blood transfusions - and would go on to adopt 4 more girls after Michaela and Mia. Understandably, Mia and Michaela were extremely traumatised as well as having to learn a whole new way of life. They learned form their new family, started school, and soon they started dance lessons. I did feel that after Michaela grew up and had adjusted to life in America, and began to be recognized as a great dancer that the story was told with a lot of rose-tinted glasses. She talks about hard work and the of becoming a dancer, however there isn't much negativity or dark sides of her journey. I'm sure Michaela doesn't want to bad mouth the people or experiences that got her where she is today, and the struggle would pale in comparison to her upbringing, however maybe then she should have ended the story a little earlier. Michaela's childhood in Sierra Leone was harrowing, with her parents dying when she is very young, leaving her an orphan. The orphanage is place of hardship and abuse, but she also has the good fortune of being adopted, alongside her best friend who is now her sister - - they receive much needed medical care and find themselves a part of a wonderful family in America. Michaela is also able to start dancing, something she has wanted to do ever since she found a magazine with a ballerina on the cover (still in the orphanage at this time). Her new family are supportive of her dreams and encourage her in everything. This book was really really cool! If you've seen First Position and became interested in Michaela's story you should definitely read this book.Of course, I will never forget Papa Andrew and Uncle Ali. Though they were motivated by money, and they were not the nicest men, they did lead me out of the horror of the war in Sierra Leone and into the arms of a loving mother. A wonderful story of hope, perseverance and love suitable for 10+ children and adults. Michaela's early life was marred by death, violence and abuse, but now a talented ballerina, making her mark on the professional international stage, she is sharing her story.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment