276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Loki: WICKED, VISCERAL, TRANSGRESSIVE: Norse gods as you've never seen them before

£8.495£16.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The novel functions almost as an autobiography, as readers are taken through Loki’s struggles finding belonging and relationships—both familial and romantic—that don’t always end well for him. Step into the ancient fir-tree forests of Scandinavia and bear witness to legends as epic as those of the Greeks and the Romans. Burgess's Loki turns classic Norse legend on its head and doles out heavy doses of sarcasm and contempt at not getting enough recognition for all he has done for Asgard. Right from the start he admits that he is a trickster, a liar, an outsider, and definitely an unreliable narrator.

The book's not without its flaws, chief among which is an over-use of certain jokes, but these are forgivable, especially considering that other sections (see; Loki and Svadilfari) are painfully funny. It’s perfect because we all know how unreliable, and tricky, Loki can be and you get the real sense of wondering whether or not you’re being lied to throughout the whole book which just made it that much more fun to read. The author has a weird habit of putting unnecessary “shocking” details into the old stories as we know them, and I guess the only reason for it is their shock value.condemning views you believe to be objectively wrong without first dismantling your own unconscious bias and internalised beliefs and examining their influence on your writing not only defeats the purpose but is unprofessional, immature, irresponsible, and a huge turn off for me.

Starting with the Norse creation myths, the trickster god Loki takes the reader on a wild ride through Norse mythology, from the era when the gods--the founders of Asgard--defeated a race of monsters, and then hurtles through legendary stories, including Odin hanging himself on the World Tree, the theft of the corrupting gold ring, and the murder of Baldr, the god of love and the sun. Burgess frames his gleeful adult debut as Loki, Norse god of mischief, attempting to set his story straight. That slipperiness makes Loki, for all the modern enjoyment of a morally grey character, hard, in the end, to actually like.

I loved that Marvin’s portrayal of Loki is as crude, obnoxious, vain, humorous, sarcastic and unfiltered as we’ve seen in most other portrayals of the God. The story does play around with the original myth, taking the blame away from Loki in almost all of the stories, but keeps the stories as accurate to the original source material as possible, which makes it a really interesting read. much to my dismay i found the writing excessively vulgar, unserious despite supposedly being geared towards more mature readers, and edgy quite simply for the sake of being edgy in a way that to me was more tiresome than entertaining, not to mention entirely unnecessary.

The story of human origins and the reader consequently being referred to as, ‘arse born’, was a particular highlight of weirdness. despite taking a staunchly pro-lgbt stance on a verbal level, on multiple instances i found it insulting and uncomfortable to read.This book was really well written and such a joy to read and it definitely made me sad when the book was over as I really wanted to read more. And constantly insulting the reader, which does nothing to keep me intrigued or wanting to continue.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment