276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Born to Dance: Celebrating the Wonder of Childhood

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I received a digital copy of 'Born to Dance' from NetGalley in exchange of an honest review. All opinions are my own. Thank you!

This book beautifully captures young dancers on and off stage. Everyday life seems inseparable from a dancer’s heart/body connection. Each young person featured here told the photographer that they were born to dance. Dance had chosen them. From Jordan Matter, YouTube star and New York Times–bestselling author of Dancers Among Us, a celebration of what it means to be young and full of possibility, featuring gorgeous photographs of well-known dancers (including Tate McRae and Sofie Dossi) as well as stars in the making. I received a copy of this book from NetGalley and University Press; I am leaving this review voluntarily. FINALLY--a well-researched, definitive biography of legendary dancer Eleanor Powell!! There have been a couple of books written about Miss Powell, but neither was an in-depth biography. Myriad books about Fred Astaire, Gene Kelly, and many other well-known and lesser-known actors/actresses of Hollywood's Golden Age exist. Now, thanks to exhaustive research, personal recollections of Miss Powell, and the obvious love the authors have for her, we have this amazing, long overdue book that is a treasure trove of information for fans, old movie buffs, dance aficionados, and Hollywood historians.In Paula Broussard and Lisa Royère, Eleanor Powell has the biographers she deserves. Their Eleanor Powell: Born to Dance is a warmhearted account of Powell's ascent from childhood poverty to international stardom, a journey reliant on both Powell's immense talent and her relentless perfectionism. The authors combine vivid descriptions of Powell's fabulous tap-dance sequences with behind-the-scenes accounts of the painful physical and emotional costs she endured to achieve them. It was interesting to read all about Powell’s work ethic and the fact that the studios did not take her as seriously as they took her male counterparts. It’s also amazing how poorly MGM treated her, as is true of many of their stars, and underutilized her while she was under contract. Dance is storytelling and a language; it is a means of expressing emotions, both powerful and beautiful. Dance requires you to build your problem-solving and critical thinking skills. Dance is multicultural. It transcends boundaries; it creates and connects friends” Sydney Ladensohn Stern, author of The Brothers Mankiewicz: Hope, Heartbreak, and Hollywood Classics

Eleanor Powell: Born to Dance is a vital book. Paula Broussard and Lisa Royère have crafted a thoughtful biography about an important figure in film history that deserves this recognition. Their decades of hard work and thorough research is evident, as is their love for Eleanor Powell. A highly enjoyable read that gives this remarkable woman her long-awaited due, and will no doubt encourage new fans to discover her work. The book is a thorough examination of Eleanor and her life, from growing up with a single mother, to her work on Broadway, and then her relatively short 8-year career at MGM. Also covered is her personal life and several aborted engagements to a couple of men before her heart was thoroughly taken by up-and-coming actor Glenn Ford. Eleanor firmly believed she could not balance a career and raising a child, so when her son Peter was born, she effectively retired from film. She ended up taking a show on the road and appearing independently in a few films and even a Vegas show over the next 15 years to help pay the bills, all while Ford was cheating on her with his leading ladies.Born to Dance is all about the visuals so I won't hold off any longer and include my many favorite shots: I love, love, love movie musicals. One of my early memories is me and my dad watching Swing Time with Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers on public television. I was instantly smitten. As I grew older, I devoured books on the subject and watched as many musicals as I could. One of the things I always wondered was why I couldn’t find a decent biography on one of the best dancers of the silver screen, man or woman, in Eleanor Powell. I’m glad to say that Born to Dance is the biography I’ve been waiting for. I approached "Born to Dance" as many readers have or will, not knowing a great deal about Ms. Powell and perhaps having some unanswered questions about her life and times.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment