276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Days Like These: An Alternative Guide to the Year in 366 Poems

£8.495£16.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Photograph: Alvan Meyerowitz/Michael Ochs Archives/Getty Images Bob Dylan goes electric in Brian Bilston’s Days Like These.

uk/books/brian-bilston/alexa-what-is-there-to-know-about-love/9781529059571/]; and _Days Like These_ [https://www. IF YOU LOVED STARTING THE YEAR WITH BRIAN, OR WERE DISAPPOINTED TO MISS HIM, BOOK ON FOR A SHOW-STOPPING EVENT TO END 2023! A poem a day for a year, written to fit something related to the day, whether historic, strange, or silly, as explained in a paragraph before each one.If (Conservative Party Version)’ is THE great pandemic poem, wittily inverting Kipling as it eviscerates government incompetence. His primary concern is how the language we need to truly express ourselves is always out of reach, yet we must keep trying to speak: “Not that there is a gate to be climbed / through in my lyric – / but what is a poem if not an opening / onto an open field”. Each poem is inspired by a significant – often curious – event associated with that day: from Open an Umbrella Indoors Day to the day on which New York banned public flirting; from the launch of the Rubik’s Cube to the first appearance of the phrase, ‘the best thing since sliced bread’. Flicking through, I saw the poem for 18 April was written the day after the storming of the Capitol in DC on 6 January 2021. He succeeds when he describes the specific in the mundane, such as on TV: “I used to believe that the tiny people in the magic box / were watching me as I watched them – / looking out at somebody else inside a tiny box”.

Brilliantly written poems with satisfying wordplay, each relating to a day in history, or a day such as National Relaxation Day (15th August). It’s hard to argue against that - except to say that it is possible to be kind on all the other days, too. When it comes to accommodation in Scotland, there's a fantastic choice of amazing stays from luxury hotels to glamping getaways. uk/books/brian-bilston/diary-of-a-somebody/9781529005561/] was shortlisted for the Costa First Novel Award. Rishi Dastidar is co-editor of Too Young, Too Loud, Too Different: Poems from Malika’s Poetry Kitchen ( Corsair).

VisitScotland excludes all liability for loss or damage caused by any reliance placed on the Content. His favourite themes are the awfulness of Tory politicians, the unexpected perspective, and moral responsibility. My crystal ball is faulty, but my guess is from here on Bilston’s collections will grow thinner, more personal, and more powerful. Remember, Remember (4th November) – Bilston at his silliest whilst also craftily pointing out the recurring patterns of nursery rhymes.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment