276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Cradle To The Grave

£4.8£9.60Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Squeeze's first EP and most of their self-titled debut album (1978) were produced by John Cale for A&M Records. Cale had been a member of Velvet Underground from whose album Squeeze took their name. However, the debut album's two hit singles (" Take Me I'm Yours" and "Bang Bang") were produced by the band themselves, as the label found Cale's recordings uncommercial. [17] However, a 2004 attempt by the VH1 show Bands Reunited to reassemble the mid-1980s line-up of Squeeze (Difford, Tilbrook, Holland, Wilkinson and Lavis) ended in failure. While Difford and bassist Keith Wilkinson were both favourable to the idea and drummer Gilson Lavis expressed interest, Jools Holland felt he was too busy with current projects to participate. Even more crucially, Glenn Tilbrook eventually decided against a band reunion at that point in time. Forget the sitcom. Cradle to the Grave feels more like the promising first step on the road to a stage musical.

Following the release of Ridiculous, Don Snow (now known as Jonn Savannah) returned to Squeeze yet again as their touring keyboard player, but by 1997, the Squeeze line-up had officially dwindled down to just Difford and Tilbrook. That year the duo, billed as Squeeze, released the non-album single "Down in the Valley" as a fundraising single for Charlton Athletic F.C. Tilbrook formed the Quixotic label for this and future Squeeze-related releases, as well as releases by other artists. Bobby Valentino -Electric Bluebirds Sleeve Notes". Bobbyvalentino.co.uk . Retrieved 9 January 2010. Chris Difford and Glenn Tilbrook: their unique blend of voices give Squeeze their distinctive flavourThere are many reasons for this. In defense of Squeeze, every song from their first (and best) compilation was released within a five year burst of creativity, meaning that the album is more cogent than most career spanning documents. It presents as much like an “album,” made all at once, as anything in their eclectic discography. Conversely, Squeeze never made a ”Blonde on Blonde” or “Exile on Main Street.” In fact, I’m not sure if they ever made “John Wesley Harding” or “Goats Head Soup.” Every Squeeze album suffers from inconsistency. Their highs are revelations. And while their lows are never embarrassments, they can sound ho-hum by comparison. Still, Difford and Tilbrook's friendship continued, and Difford sat in for a few songs at a Tilbrook solo gig in Glasgow in December 2005.

In 1987, the sextet recorded the album Babylon and On. A successful release on both sides of the Atlantic, this album contained the band's only US top 40 hits in " Hourglass" and " 853-5937". a b Hutchins, Martin (26 October 2017). "Music interview – Glenn Tilbrook on the enduring appeal of Squeeze". The Yorkshire Post . Retrieved 6 January 2020. Difford doesn’t seem entirely convinced. “I’ve battled with aspects of the life. Touring was a huge struggle for quite a long time. But I’m sixty years old, I’ve come all this way, it’s not going to change now. I’m not suddenly going to become a plumber.” There is a long pause, while he seems to consider this. “Although a plumber would probably make more money.” Songs are accompanied by films that range from vaguely apropos to baffling. You can understand the significance of showing Difford’s mid-70s journals, although the fact that he seems to have spent considerable time as a teenager drawing pictures of genitals is a bit distracting. Another Nail in My Heart, meanwhile, is accompanied – for inexplicable reasons – by a film of bluebottles crawling over a map of Sweden.In January 1985, the Argybargy lineup of Squeeze (with Jools Holland returning) reunited for a one-off performance. [2] Tilbrook and Difford subsequently chose to reform the group officially, with Keith Wilkinson taking Bentley's place on bass. [12] After the release of Cosi Fan Tutti Frutti, Holland's brother Christopher joined as a second keyboardist on tour, but was replaced shortly thereafter by Andy Metcalfe. [13] In the summer of 1987, he was made an official member in time for the release of Babylon and On. [14] Metcalfe had left by 1988, with his place taken by Matt Irving. [1] Eighth album Frank was released in 1989. [15] Geller, Lynn (December 1985). Squeezeplay– Glenn Tilbrook and Jools Holland of Squeeze talk about their reunion, their gang of managers, and The Odd Couple. Spin Magazine . Retrieved 30 April 2011. a b Watts, Peter (October 2015). "East Side Story" (PDF). Uncut. pp.54–59 . Retrieved 4 January 2021. Newton, Steve (31 May 2015). "Squeeze carries on undeterred after Jools Holland opts for his "Mr. Showbiz caper" ". Ear of Newt . Retrieved 4 January 2021.

Rahman, Ray. "The Killers' Brandon Flowers on his all-time favorite songs -- Squeeze, Depeche Mode, Tina Turner and more". EW.com . Retrieved 30 June 2021. That being said, in the same way that you have to walk before you run and add before you multiply, it was widely understood that Greatest Hits compilations were an essential part of human development. So, while they were not appreciated by the cognoscenti, they were tolerated by everyone else — but only inasmuch as there was a clear hierarchy. Graham, Samuel; Sekuler, Eliot (21 November 1981). "The Coast" (PDF). Record World. Vol.18, no.1790. New York City, New York: Record World. p.12 . Retrieved 4 January 2021.

Points West" (PDF). Cash Box. Vol.42, no.46. New York City, New York: Cash Box. 4 April 1981. p.14 . Retrieved 4 January 2021. Squeeze's Glenn Tilbrook discusses tour with Psychedelic Furs, recording plans, more". NJArts.net . Retrieved 11 September 2023. A new Squeeze single, Happy Days, is on the A List at Radio 2, a fact which is making the 58-year-old Tilbrook almost giddy with excitement. “How mad is that? When I heard we’d gone on to the playlist, my hairs stood up on end. I never thought it would mean so much, but it does.” After eight years apart (save for sporadic collaborations), Glenn Tilbrook and Chris Difford reformed Squeeze in early 2007. [29] The rest of the lineup was completed with former bassist John Bentley and new members Stephen Large on keyboards and Simon Hanson on drums. [30] During a UK tour in late 2010, Large was temporarily replaced by Steve Nieve. [31] The group issued two live albums and Spot the Difference, comprising new recordings of old songs, between 2007 and 2012. [3] Personnel remained stable until July 2015, when Bentley left the band by "mutual decision". [32] He was replaced by Lucy Shaw, who completed recording for Cradle to the Grave. [33] The band's second album, Cool for Cats (1979), contained the band's two highest charting UK singles in "Cool For Cats" and "Up The Junction", both of which peaked at No.2. John Bentley replaced Harry Kakoulli on bass in 1979 following the release of the LP. [4]

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment