276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Last Remains (The Dr Ruth Galloway Mysteries)

£11£22.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

All the bases are covered here. Life during the pandemic and the NHS phone app that told users when they had to stay home because they'd been in the same place as someone with Covid. Ruth's very real possibility of losing her beloved archaeology department and her job. Nelson's boss constantly harping at him to retire. Cathbad's slow recovery from Covid and his mystifying disappearance. New faces, like a detective constable named Lucy. Ruth's daughter Kate growing up so fast. And-- of course-- a first-rate mystery to solve.

I understand the author plans to end the series but Nelson and Ruth will never last bc as I said, good sex isn’t necessarily a forever thing. It’s not enough to cement a relationship through the decades. It just isn’t. Is it helpful? Of course, but you have to have a much more solid foundation based on trust and shared interests and values to really have a longstanding relationship, imo. The Last Remains ends with the resolution of a twenty-year-old cold case and many ends tied up neatly in presumably “happily ever after bows,” but as stated before, fans will hunger for more from the author. Remarkable Writer, Addictive Books! I think that because people have lived in Norfolk for a very long time, and tend to stay once they’re in Norfolk, stories are passed down in a way they maybe aren’t in other parts of the country. There’s a great folk memory in Norfolk.

How It All Began

And also she has the future – what does she do with Nelson? But the story, I hope, does lead all the characters full circle.”

Another well-loved series character said farewell in Wild Fire, the last book in Ann Cleeves’ Shetland series. The Ruth Galloway series is a different sort of police procedural with forensic archaeology, because Ruth (our main protagonist) is an archaeologist. Since there's a dearth of forensic evidence, most of the police investigation involves interviewing people, looking at photos, observing CCTV footage, and mulling over their findings. Ruth doesn't have a big part in the inquiries, and it's DCI Nelson's inspiration that eventually solves the case.

Remarkable Writer, Addictive Books!

What a bittersweet experience to read The Last Remains, the final Ruth Galloway book. This series has been a favorite of mine. From the beginning, Ruth has been such a fully realized character I could see her clearly. This time, a fully articulated skeleton is found during the renovation of an antique store. The skeleton is recent, given the metal plate in the ankle. It’s soon discovered that she was an archeology student who went missing in 2002. A woman that had ties to Cathbad. The Last Remains ( Mariner Books) will rightfully jump to the top of many mystery lovers’ TBRN (to be read now!!) piles. It is purportedly the 16th and final book in Elly Griffith’s exciting and addictive series about Ruth Galloway, tenured college professor, forensic archeologist and crime solver who routinely aids the Norfolk police in active murder investigations and cold cases. Archaeological digs have yielded centuries old ancient graves and artifacts — and served as dumping grounds for more recent corpses. The discovery of a missing woman’s bones forces Ruth and Nelson to finally confront their feelings for each other as they desperately work to exonerate one of their own. The discovery of a missing woman's bones forces Ruth and Nelson to finally confront their feelings for each other as they desperately work to exonerate one of their own.

And the starting point is important for the end. Not vital. You would enjoy the story, but miss the subtleties. At the heart of this book is a fine crime drama, with mystery, suspense, twists, blind alleys, and red herrings. But it all becomes heart-aching as the characters involved are people you know, trust and maybe love a little. Not just Ruth and Nelson. Not even just Cathbad. If I was starting on this book I would be bewildered by the huge cast of characters, some of whom are important to Ruth and Nelson, some to the plot. Many to both. Ruth Galloway is a remarkable, delightful character...A must-read for fans of crime and mystery fiction." — Associated Press That means you haven’t. Ruth’s life is changing. She’s having to make decisions. How can she make them if you don’t tell her what you feel?’ This is it. The last book in Elly Griffiths ‘Dr. Ruth Galloway’ series. Fifteen books. Spanning 2009 to 2023. Oh, sure - Griffiths is being very gentle in adding “for now,” whenever she discusses this as the final book in the series … but her publisher Quercus is advertising it as “the final instalment in the Dr Ruth Galloway Mysteries,” and it does indeed read with finality. A lovely goodbye.At this point, Ruth and Nelson have been 14-years in this painful dance. And in this, the final instalment, it’s time to put up or shut up. It seems to me that writing about Norfolk you never run out of archaeology and you never run out of ghosts.” Forensic archeologist and academic Ruth Galloway is a captivating amateur sleuth—an inspired creation. I identified with her insecurities and struggles, and cheered her on.” — Louise Penny, author of the best-selling Armand Gamache series Elly Griffiths was awarded the prestigious Crime Writers’ Association (CWA) Dagger in the Library for her collected works in 2016. The Stranger Diaries, her first stand-alone novel, won the Edgar Award for Best Novel in 2020. The following year, The Postscript Murders, was shortlisted for the CWA Gold Dagger. She also has an “interesting” relationship with officer, DCI Nelson – who also happens to be her daughter’s father, another major character.

Ruth and Nelson have had an on-again, off-again romance for 14 years, and now that Nelson's wife Michelle is getting a divorce, there might be a chance Ruth, Harry, and Kate - as well as Ruth's cat Flint and Nelson's dog Bruno - can form a real family. Through fifteen books, devoted fans have felt a part of the extended family of Dr. Ruth Galloway, DCI Harry Nelson, and their friends and co-workers. It's sad-- and even a bit traumatic-- to see a cherished series end, but if it has to, it should end on the sort of note that The Last Remains does.The Last Remains is the fifteenth and latest in Elly Griffiths’ series featuring archaeologist Ruth Galloway. It's another engrossing mystery with plenty of ongoing character storylines and fascinating historical content.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment